I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Why?
Posted by: Michal Rozycki (193.201.167.---)
Date: December 19, 2014 01:43AM

I really should not have moved from off-the-shelf to custom made. I really should not have ...
Then I realised that "made by someone for me specifically" is better than "factory-made", but not quite there. So I had to build a rod myself, for my own personal use, because I know better. So I did, and then came another one, and another ... Your Honour! I really didn't mean to, but it just followed naturally from there! There was this loud voice in my head telling me: build another rod. You really need it. You do! Now this blank has been discontinued and you can get it dirt cheap. Buy it! Do it!
And then - Your Honour - I had to, just HAD TO go getting funny ideas about fancy components and stuff.
This voice in my head ... it was stronger than me.
I really didn't mean to, Your Honour. I plead guilty as charged and vow to continue with this terrible hobby indefinitely, as long as I go getting ideas about new rods and stuff ...
And I rest my case here.

P.S. And - Your Honour - my favourite epoxy finish is Flex Coat Lite! Honest to God and cross my heart!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: December 19, 2014 10:51AM

I build rods to cast flies or lures or bait and to fight fish; not necessarily compatible requirements.

Posted by: Mark Mulanax (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: December 19, 2014 01:48PM

for me its simple and complicated both.

spendy hobby i enjoy and do not build for profit and only for family usually

Posted by: Dick Ross (---.ien.ada.in.ena.net)
Date: December 19, 2014 02:12PM

Built my first rod in high school(1976). Fenwick 6wt glass rod. I did not build another till I graduated college. I am a shop teacher and like to work with my hands. I started up again when I started teaching because I could build them better and I thought cheaper. It is like tying flies, you start out thinking you are saving money,but I could have bought a @#$%& of a lot of flies for what I have invested in supplies and tools. Eventually turned into a part time business to help subsidize my sporting addictions. I also every year teach a few students rod building to hopefully cause others the pain and satisfaction of this addiction. There is a unique satisfaction of fishing with items you made. I tie my flies,build my rods,make most of my own lures,trolling plugs, furled leaders and if I had a metal lathe and mill probably reel seats and reels.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: December 19, 2014 02:54PM

I could not find exactly what I wanted - action, guides, color of wraps etc. Tried at every local tackle shop & then went to the library and found a book on making your own (circa 1973).

Posted by: Laurent Keiff (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: December 20, 2014 05:13AM

You tie your own fly, right? So it was only natural. Plus you won't get a better rod for the price if you do it right.
But actually I'm only in it to impress the ladies, and hey, Flexcoat, I think there's room for vast improvement here.

Prostaff Rodhouse
[www.rodhouse.fr]

Posted by: Torin Koski (73.34.124.---)
Date: December 20, 2014 10:38AM

I build for both personal use and the occasional gift/barter. I also strive to update and optimize the rods' overall functionality by putting custom component accessories on my rods that are otherwise unavailable.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 22, 2014 09:08AM

I started building because I couldn't find what I wanted on the shelf at a price I could afford. I was looking for a casting rod that would handle light lures. At the time the typical 6'6" ML rods didn't quite cut it the way I wanted. The 7' versions had handles that were too long and got in the way, but some very nice 6'10" drop shot blanks were on the market. They had the combination of a soft tip and the backbone I needed. I went all in and built a very nice RX8+S822.5 for my first rod, and many more soon followed. After more than a little thought and careful consideration, I got the ergonomics and details right to suit myself.

Posted by: larry basilio (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 23, 2014 06:14PM

I build rods because I in joy to do it . got started by my uncle have not looked back . lots of fun

Posted by: john allen (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: December 31, 2014 09:57PM

A friend of mine was moving and asked if i would be interested in his power wrapper. I want to build a rod i am completely satisfied with and it's cold in the winter, needed something to do. I am glad that i started it is a lot of fun

Posted by: Gerald (Jerry) Bouyear (---.crescommwifi.com)
Date: January 22, 2015 11:02PM

I have been building rods for around 30 years and still enjoy it. it has also been a ligament side business

Posted by: jon tobey (---.customer.broadstripe.net)
Date: February 12, 2015 12:17AM

This is a great thread, but I have a question for flex coat, much of engineering today involves materials engineering. I've had absolute disasters with epoxies that have not set and for a long time switched back to simply using urethanes or varnish.
Why are we still using something that is so difficult to use?
I find flex coat to be the riskiest and least enjoyable part of building rods. I've ruined beautiful rods in the epoxy stage.
So I reflect the question back to you and ask "how can you make this more enjoyable for me?" Because if you are not working on this, you are missing a marketing opportunity for sure as I continue to search for alternatives (eg 1-stage, clear, fast drying), and I'm sure others do, too.

jontobey@yahoo.com
www.gointothelight.wordpress.com

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster