I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Why?
Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-70-195-195.myvzw.com)
Date: December 17, 2014 12:57PM

Here at Flex Coat we want to do a little research and know why you build rods.

So, why do you build rods?

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why?
Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: December 17, 2014 01:13PM

The creative processes, especially the arts and crafts, have always held a fascination for me. It's why I get up in the morning and go to a job where I can share my passions and experiences with 125+ 12 and 13 year olds each day. Rodbuilding is how I vacation from all the administrivia that interferes with the creative aspects of my day, it's my therapy. Like fishing, rodbuilding helps me to keep a perspective about the important aspects of my life that I often tend to take for granted. Rodbuilding is one of my reality checks, It's helps me self actualize.

One might say "I create custom fishing rods, therefore I am."

Thinking back, I'd probably have to give credit to Dick Swan for sparking my interest in the craft.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2014 01:37PM by John E Powell.

Posted by: Chris Richer (131.137.243.---)
Date: December 17, 2014 01:27PM

I like to work with my hands, I like to fish, and i like to learn.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: December 17, 2014 02:00PM

I started building rods so that I could get the exact rod that I wanted. Friends saw the rods I was making for myself, and over 40 years later I am still making them.

Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-70-195-195.myvzw.com)
Date: December 17, 2014 02:01PM

Nice, keep 'em coming...

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.onlinehome-server.info)
Date: December 17, 2014 02:23PM

Originally to save money. When that didn't pan out I just started focusing on making the exact rod I wanted. I like to be able to size the handles and grips to suit me. That really makes a rod better IMO.

Posted by: Scott Hovanec (---.sub-70-199-3.myvzw.com)
Date: December 17, 2014 02:40PM

I build because what I wanted wasn't available on the shelf and I got tired of paying someone else to build it for me.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.102.204.190.res-cmts.t132.ptd.net)
Date: December 17, 2014 03:09PM

I was given a custom rod by a friend in 1979, as it happened I knew the builder who said, "you can do this yourself". Then by a stroke of pure dumb luck as a printer I had a hand in producing the Dale Clemens catalog for several years.( I live about 25 miles from their former location). They graciously allowed me to purchase components at wholesale plus tax, even though I was just a hobby builder. I am forever indebted to them. I'll never forget hearing as I'd walk in the door some one yelling out " we got a walk in". Music to my ears! Dale and Lew Childre. God bless em'. John, You guys are right up there with them. Your products are great and your videos are down to earth and very imformative. You prove a person doesn't need anything elaborate to produce the best rod they ever fished with, and that gets a lot of people started. Thank you.

Posted by: Don Lukehart (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: December 17, 2014 03:29PM

I Build rods for myself,my three boys and a few chosen friends. Like Ken it was originally to save money but I found that my desire for the best components soon out weighted any huge savings. Now it is just seeing the pleasure in ones eye when they are fishing with a rod that is designed just for them. It"s like tying flies. It's nice to catch a fish on something you created!

Posted by: John Shear (198.135.124.---)
Date: December 17, 2014 03:40PM

I wanted a specific rod configuration fine-tuned for my method of vertical jigging for crappies, but no such rod exists. I was talking to a custom rod builder about my dilemma and he said "just make your own!" So that's what I did and the satisfaction is incredible. There are so many ways to customize a rod and I want to try something new on every rod I build. Obviously I'm early in my rod building hobby.

John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Posted by: Jean Scurtu (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: December 17, 2014 03:42PM

I was building rod for myself .because i can't find in the store what i want .I am fishing from the bank just with artificial,with long spinning rods(over 10' ),built by me on fly fishing blanks +extension.

I am not a really rod builder,but i was building a lot of rods witch give me a lot of satisfaction and catching a lot off nice fish(fresh water and saltwater),fishing most of the time with tinny braid(4 lb.) +fluorocarbon leader.

I was catching one red fish(C&R) 40 inch,23 lb.fishing on jig at ROLLOVER PASS,Bolivar Peninsula ,Texas with FIRELINE ORIGINAL SMOKE 4 lb.+14 lb. fluorocarbon leader and one small reel for panfish ABU-CARDINAL STAMINA DRAG 600U,ultra-lite reel for fresh water.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2014 03:44PM by Jean Scurtu.

Posted by: Gary Weber (---.241.113.253.4wbi.net)
Date: December 17, 2014 04:03PM

I like to adjust the guides on some factory rods I have. Also I like to build rods from time to time for family members.

Posted by: john backos (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 17, 2014 04:07PM

I first started when I used a garcia flipping rod to jig blues and one of the guides broke. I had a hard time finding one guide but found a set at Hermans sporting goods. The rod looked rough but caught many fish. I then found a lamiglas honey steelhead blank and built my first rod from scratch.

Then the disease took full hold.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 17, 2014 04:40PM

My wife signed me up for a rod building class years ago as a gift. Now I'm addicted. I love working with my hands and it's very satisfying to build a rod or tie a fly that catches fish.

Posted by: David Parsons (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: December 17, 2014 04:47PM

I rebuild more rods than i make new one I start by wanting to do my favorite rod that i caught a lot of fish with and couldn't one that I liked to replace it with.Then I started rebuilding rod for my relative because to show them that i appreciated them letting me go fishing for free for the last 45 years on there party boats they pay for parts and labor is on me I did over 150 rods last winter. The rods I like to do the most is the ones that some one tell me that there grandfather or father use to take them fishing and gave them the rod and if it was fixed they would still use it. I just did an old octagon shape rod that the guy is putting an old reel on for his friend for a christmas gift.

Posted by: Roger Pascual (---.statefarm.com)
Date: December 17, 2014 05:09PM

3 YEARS AGO, I PAID A CUSTOM ROD BUILDER TO BUILD ME SOME SALMON, STEELHEAD RODS. AFTER DOING THE RESEARCH, I REALIZED I COULD PROBABLY TAKE A STAB AT BUILDING MY OWN RODS. NOW I AM ADDICTED AND BUILD FOR MYSELF, A FEW FRIENDS... I AVERAGE ABOUT 3 RODS A MONTH. I ALSO BUILD BEACUSE LANDING A FISH WITH A ROD CUSTOM BUILT BY MYSELF GIVE ME A FEELING LIKE NO OTHER...

Posted by: Kevin Kelly (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: December 17, 2014 05:50PM

As Don said, it's a lot like tying flies, which i've been doing for years - i can add or change it to my own wants and desires; i'm catching fish on something i made (or in this case, built); and there's nothing like handing one to someone who knows you made this for them and seeing the joy on their faces both when they get it and when they use it.

Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 17, 2014 06:27PM

To me the ultimate experience is catching a fish on a rod I built and a fly I tied.

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: December 17, 2014 06:27PM

My name is Garry and I am a rod addict...I started with the idea of just replacing some damaged guides.

In order to get a feel for the tools and techniques, I order a couple of inexpensive Pac-Bay complete kits, for practice.

Once the practice rods and the repairs were finished, there were materials left over.

What the heck?
I might as well order parts for an Ultra Light rod and build it to my own specifications.

Of coarse, one rod inevitable leads to another, and another ...

Posted by: Greg Mincheff (---.lv.lv.cox.net)
Date: December 17, 2014 06:31PM

It al started years ago when I trashed a few guides and couldn't find anyone to replace the guides. One thing lead to another and i found myself building custom rods and repairs for others.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster