I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Why?
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 17, 2014 06:53PM

My dad built rods in the Fort Lauderdale area back in the 50's-60's. That was my introduction to rod building (and reel repair). There weren't as many choices then. Certain types of fishing were just starting to take off. Be it sailfish off the palm beach coast, or spinning tackle, things were happening and solutions were needed. It seemed to me at the time that there were very few names worth using, and so few models, that one was expected to cut to length/extend as needed and such. Building your own was the only option if you wanted to catch a nice sailfish on spinning gear back then. Probably the memory of a kid, but I always felt south florida fishing was kind of "cutting edge" back then.

Only fairly recently have I decided to build for myself. I quickly concluded that the old reasons were still valid today. There are blanks suited for what I want to do that would never be sold here. The only reason is because someone decided to label them as steelhead/salmon/whatever type blanks. The ability to look at taper, weight, wall thickness, etc....and make educated guesses as to its suitability to the task at hand.....gives you choices you simply can't have at the local store. Lord knows I never had the money to approach a good custom builder so stores were all I had.

I would be derilect if I didn't mention the role this forum has had in this addiction:)

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Bob Jumper (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: December 17, 2014 06:58PM

I am a hobby builder for around 3 years now. I paint cars flat rate for a living and enjoy the change of pace when building rods for friends and family. Labor is always $.00.

I enjoy building rods to donate for special organizations.

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: December 17, 2014 07:45PM

The satisfaction I derived as a young man, when I caught a trout on a fly I made, was simply exhilarating. That grew into making lures, jigs, plugs and poppers. Same exhilaration. A friend who owned a small bait shop and did reel and rod repair, sold some of my flies as I got better. I asked him about rod repair and building and he told me my fly tying skills would easily transfer to rod building. He gave me a few tips on simple tools and technique and had me order a kit from Cabelas. Said to go slow, get good lighting, good glasses, sharp razors, don't rush glue and epoxy and learn from your mistakes! I still fish with my first rod. The internet was starting then and I met Mike Barkley, Randy Putter and Ray Adams personally and many others through this site. The sharing was and is phenomenal. I build a pretty nice stick now. And as fun and satisfying as it is to catch a fish on your own handmade fly, it is greatly magnified when it is your own custom built rod..... and others love them too!

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 17, 2014 07:49PM

I am retired now; but I owned an engineering company for many years before retirement. While I was still working one of my engineers, over 30 years ago now, asked If he could use one of my offices to teach a fly rod building class. I said most certainly and I ended talking the class with my youngest son, age 10 at the time. I built fly rods for family and friends over the years and ended up getting into bass fishing about 10 years ago. After retirement from a "good paying job"...I went into the rod building business. The implication in that last sentence is intensional. I don't make much money at it; but I thoroughly enjoy building rods. I find it extremely relaxing. I now own a bass fishing rod for every technique imaginable and some that aren't even in the books!!

I LOVE IT!

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2014 07:53PM by Donald R Campbell.

Posted by: mike quinn (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: December 17, 2014 08:18PM

Chris Richer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I like to work with my hands, I like to fish, and
> i like to learn.

I could not explain it any better but I might list "I like to learn" first.

Posted by: Jess Brindisi (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 17, 2014 09:00PM

I like to fish and be involved with anything fishing. I like to tinker, and I like to build things. Unfortunately, I'm sorta landlocked, and needed to stay attached to my passion. Rod building and reel repair seemed like a natural fit.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 17, 2014 09:04PM

I built my first rod using a UglyStik blank, fuji guides, and a Lew's Speed Stick Spin handle when all of those item were HOT to have on your boat, and YES FlexCoat was and still is the most popular finish around. Back in those days the guys that wouldn't tell you where the fish were bitein would have to trust me to take care of their rod repairs and I'd squeeze em for the info.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 17, 2014 09:25PM

Had a few questions about how rods are built,took a Class at our Local Vo-Tech and that was that! creating a rod with your own hands, being involvd in All the things that make the blank a functional fishing rod is great! Catching the first fish on a rod you built is the BOMB

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2014 09:32PM by Barry Thomas Sr.

Posted by: ray balmforth (---.lns9.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: December 18, 2014 12:26AM

For me there are many reasons.One is the joy of handing over a new rod and seeing the delight on their face like getting their first xmas present.Also i love building things and i take great pleasure from making my own grips.And i guess i have the late Col Chaseling for introducing himself to me and getting to meet people like Mark Fisher,Barry Chapman,Tony Davis,Chris Short and the list goes on.These friendships that i have formed are to me one of lifes greatest treasures.I don't build to make money i do it because i love doing it.

cheers

Ray Balmforth
Figtree
NSW
Australia

Posted by: Robert Hummel (---.lightspeed.dybhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 18, 2014 12:42AM

I like many different types of fishing. I also like building rods as a hobby. This way I can build the rods the way I want them. I certainly do not do it to save money.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: December 18, 2014 08:02AM

As a kid i wanted a rod and for many reasons could not get one.
Old ww2 tank antenna was used to build my first one.
Lived for many years in Africa where many things were also not available: built what i needed or repaired others folks rods because i could.
Now its my artistic outlet.
Also i get exactly what i want.

Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (---.nianet.org)
Date: December 18, 2014 10:15AM

I started building rods, because I built the boat I fish on, and make my own lures. I figured it would be cool to say I caught a fish on a boat I built, on a rod I built, with a lure that I made. That was nine years ago, and I liked the rod building so much I kept at it. It's almost therapeutic at times!!

Posted by: Linda Vance (---.wf.mt.gov)
Date: December 18, 2014 01:27PM

Originally it was cost. Then it was something to do in the long Montana winters. Like fly tying, building fly rods transports me to the rivers and streams I'll be fishing when the weather warms up.

Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-70-195-203.myvzw.com)
Date: December 18, 2014 01:27PM

Dang, those are all great responses. Thanks for sharing.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Mike Lawson (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 18, 2014 02:08PM

I've always liked high-performance stuff and found that top end equipment made my hobbies even more enjoyable. Looking into what was marketed across the counter as "technique specific" I found often meant, relabeled and over priced. Already being a reel-tech, and mechanically inclined, I started designing and building my own rods and now offer them as part of my business.

Posted by: Gene Beavers (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: December 18, 2014 02:39PM

My wife bought me a rod building class for Christmas two years ago. I went to it and almost walked out the first afternoon due to extreme frustration. .... Couldn't get the guides to stay wrapped before I could get them epoxied! After a lot of help with the instructors I finished it. Immediately bought the equipment but when it came time to actually build a rod i hesitated because my memory of the problems I had. Two years and I'm thinking if I tell myself I won't get frustrated I can try it. Built two in two weeks! The 2nd one is so much better than the first! I am hooked now! Can't wait to build some more!

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.50.108.216.auroracollege.com)
Date: December 18, 2014 05:42PM

Moved to the Arctic and needed more hobbies to fill the long dark winters.
I also find that custom rods fish much better and are built much better with higher quality materials.
The artistic side is also a big plus.
Nothing like a nice custom turned reel seat insert finished with 20 or 30 coats of CA and then polished to a mirror shine with some 12,000 grit micro mesh!!! :)

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: Jim Allen (---.dsl.klmzmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 18, 2014 06:06PM

Because Flexcoat products makes it a Pleasure!
Oh I also want to add becuase its one of thoughs passionate skills that we can get lost in and get satifaction from.
The effortless drive to build a rod and the creativity to make a tool or jig to help the proccess along and the need to use my hands,and the reward of catching a fish on something I assembled and especially the look on a fishing buddies face after I catch that fish.
If they could just give us the stuff to roll the blanks the world would be happy.
OH yeah Hi my name is Jim and I am a rod building addict.
Cheers!

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.atlanticbb.net)
Date: December 18, 2014 07:58PM

It's the ultimate hobby! Not too expensive. Doesn't take up the whole basement. You end up with a much better product than you can buy commercially. You can be as good at building rods as you want to be. A person can never have too many fishing rods. Your friends and family are impresed by and appreciate what you can produce. It's satisfiing!
Rog

Posted by: Todd Noble (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: December 18, 2014 11:15PM

I run a charter boat on Flathead Lake in Montana in the summer, and in the winter,...well, let's just say I was bored. It started simply enough.. I ordered a kit and some basic tools, and made a rod.. Then I made another.. Then a friend wanted one..I figured one more wouldn't hurt.. All of a sudden it was January, and I was building ice rods.. Before I knew what was happening I had a habit I couldn't kick.. I was stripping and re-wrapping every rod in sight!! My family says they don't know me anymore..I need help!!! They say the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem...

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster