I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

flex-coat
Posted by: David Nichols (---.dsl.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 17, 2014 04:45AM

can flex-coat be thinned down ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: flex-coat
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 17, 2014 07:00AM

Shouldn't need to be, but Flex Coat says you can add a few drops of acetone to one of the parts to thin it if you want. Check their website for the specifics.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 17, 2014 08:00AM

Rather than thin it, use a slight bit of gentle heat if you need the flex coat to be thinned out.

Too much thinner, and the material turns rubbery and not very good on the rod.

Be safe

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 17, 2014 10:18AM

I thin out my high build and never noticed that Got to check it

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-70-195-195.myvzw.com)
Date: December 17, 2014 11:25AM

Gentlemen

Yes you can thin Flex Coat Finish with acetone. It is a 1 to 15 ratio so it doesn't take much. You should mix the Flex Coat normally and then once mixed, add the acetone and mix it again. You should know that this will thin the finish, extend the pot life, and add to the cure time.

Thanks for bringing this up, David

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 17, 2014 02:43PM

I float the bottles in a cup of warm water for 5-10 min before using. Mixes and spreads much better.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 17, 2014 03:02PM

Been thinning high build for years Started with mid-temp lacquer thinner worked well Now I use urethane reducer works well drys about 5 hours Same as un-thinned
Never seen anything like Roger has said
I like the new UV flex coat

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2014 03:04PM by bill boettcher.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster