I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

"scuffing" finish
Posted by: Roger Templon (---.atlanticbb.net)
Date: December 15, 2014 07:25PM

I have a butt wrap that has several coats of cured finish on it that has sat untouched for about 2 weeks. I have read on this forum a number of times that the finish will need to be "scuffed" with a scuff pad if it has sat for more than 2 or 3 days after the last coat. I am almost afraid to scuff the finish fearing that the scuff marks and scratches or residue/dust will show through the new coats, and dull the final look of the butt wrap. Will it look ok after the new finish coats are applied and cured? ( I guess I'm looking for some reassurance/moral support to go ahead and "scuff it up ).

Rog

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "scuffing" finish
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: December 15, 2014 07:40PM

Roger, only a very light scuffing will be needed, don't over do it.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 15, 2014 08:12PM

Fine grey Scotchbrite won't leave large or deep enough scratches to show under a new application of finish. You'll never see the "scuff."

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 15, 2014 08:24PM

Just make sure to dust it off good before applying finish.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 15, 2014 08:53PM

Don't understand why people scuff? I never do and often wait for a while between coats. Never had a problem. Epoxy sticks to the blank with a cured finish on it, why wouldn't it stick to itself if it was cured?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 15, 2014 09:33PM

Billy

Does have a good point

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 16, 2014 08:19AM

X10 on Billy's post.

I also never scuff and have never had an issue.

Be safe

Posted by: Ron Weber (12.70.3.---)
Date: December 16, 2014 08:25AM

I also have to side with Billy and Roger on this.

Ron Weber

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.atlanticbb.net)
Date: December 16, 2014 07:33PM

Thanks for the replies guys !!

Posted by: Nathan Moore (---.bpssmtp.org)
Date: December 17, 2014 11:23AM

I think if you DO scuff you run the danger of scratching your blank....don't ask me how I know.

Posted by: Tim Wiehe (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: December 17, 2014 07:06PM

I gotta back Billy and Roger. I've even done guide replacements for customers in which they asked me to recoat all the guides to "freshen em up" and have never had any issues and I don't even know on some of the off the shelf rods were even coated with initially. Never had any problems/complaints and I know I'am talking 20+ times. Maybe I've just been lucky!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 19, 2014 11:44AM

Many epoxies intended for top coating surfaces contain a type of wax that seals the surface upon curing. This is why you'll sometimes experience one cured layer of epoxy rejecting or repelling another layer, in the form of dry spots and craters. For this reason, most epoxy formulators will advise scuffing the surface of any top coating type epoxy if the product has fully cured, which generally takes several days at room temperature. Inside of that window, you're generally okay not to do anything.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster