I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Dremel tool
Posted by: Roman Chamine (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: December 14, 2014 02:21PM

What are the common rod building tasks that a Dremel tool can be used for? What types of attachments and accessories do you find most useful?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dremel tool
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: December 14, 2014 02:31PM

The sanding disks are great for guide feet, especially on small guides like, single foot and snake and small double foot guides. The cut off wheels are good for trimming blanks cleanly w/o danger of separating the fibers in graphite blanks. You can also do engraving with one and many carving tasks. I have an attachment that works as a drill press and can be used as a mini-router. Very useful tool. I have had mine for years.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.151.---)
Date: December 14, 2014 03:20PM

I pretty much use mine the same as Randolph does. I've got the regular model and a Dremel knockoff with variable speed and a flex shaft.. the flex shaft one is really easy on the hands.

R
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: December 14, 2014 04:53PM

button to many times

William Sidney
AK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2014 04:54PM by william G Sidney.

William Sidney
AK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2014 04:55PM by william G Sidney.

sorry ,,,,,,,,,,

William Sidney
AK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2014 04:56PM by william G Sidney.

Re: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 14, 2014 05:43PM

Bill

You got dile up ?? LOL Time to up grade ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 14, 2014 07:47PM

use it for cutting extra threads off reel seats. Splitting reel seats. Trimming custom made graphite handles. Cutting blanks. Sharpening tools
Forming cores for making graphite handles. Polishing customized reel seats to git rid of cut marks. Smoothing and polishing graphite handles.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 15, 2014 10:08AM

A dremel is one of the most useful tools in the shop.
-cutting and trimming blanks with a reinforced cutoff wheel
-prepping guide feet with the same wheel, or with the round sanding drums.
-reel seat removals for repairs
-any sort of trimming, polishing, grinding job can be accomplished using a dremel

If you're doing any amount of repairs in your rod shop, it's pretty indispensable.

Terry

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 15, 2014 02:22PM

Roman,

I have found the Dremel tool Polishing Wheel, (#425), to be excellent at preparing Guide Feet before wrapping. I works quickly and leave the feet smooth and ready to wrap. Pick one up you won't be disappointed.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: December 15, 2014 02:32PM

There are a number of buffing wheels from hard felt to the soft rag cloth that work really well also. They can be used with either wax or jewelers rouge.

Posted by: Roman Chamine (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: December 16, 2014 10:25AM

Thank you for the info guys! I did buy a 4200 model a couple of weeks ago. It's time to start using it.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.pa.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: December 16, 2014 11:29PM

I use mine for all the above. However I find that trimming reel seats generates a bit too much heat with the cut-off wheels, and the plastic melts. Messes up the discs.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster