I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

determine lure weight and line strength
Posted by: Jon Hood (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: December 13, 2014 12:33PM

Hi guys,
I would like to know how the line strength and lure weight are determined by the manufacturer for rod blanks.
Is there a calculation or test that can make this determination?
I would like to trim a rod and the amount I want to trim will be substantial and I want to reclassify the specs on the rod. Is this possible?

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: determine lure weight and line strength
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: December 13, 2014 03:36PM

Why not just get the proper blank? Are you wanting to trim from the butt or the tip. It makes a big difference.

Posted by: mike quinn (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: December 13, 2014 04:54PM

Top left of screen left click on "CCS Database". Select Part 1. Goto page eight and scroll 3/4 of the way down and look at "Table C". Once you do your ccs homework go back online to find rods simular to yours and see what the line weight is recomended as per the weight measured by your homework.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 13, 2014 05:29PM

Line strength really can't be determined as it's a subjective idea based on what the manufacturer thinks might be in the ballpark for a particular use (unless we're taking about fly rods and fly lines). The rod will never know what line strength you have on it.

Date: December 13, 2014 07:01PM

To add to what Tom said, you can load 50# line on an ultra light rod and if the drag is set right, you may get away with it. The opposite is not necessarily true with light line on a heavy rod. It will definitely break before putting any kind of a bend in the rod.

Posted by: Jon Hood (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: December 14, 2014 05:54AM

It is a rod that I have and I will be trimming the tip. I want the rod to me stronger as it will be used as a saltwater boat rod.
Thanks foe the input !

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 14, 2014 07:45AM

Trimming from the tip will allow it to handle a little more casting weight, but will not make it stronger. The butt diameter and walls are what they are.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: December 15, 2014 09:22AM

Jon,

I don't build the kind of rod you're proposing, but I can assure you it's common practice to trim from the tip of a blank to increase it's capacity, and then trim from the butt to get the length you want. Realize though that if you trim a "substantial" amount from the tip you will likely change the action of the blank in a "substantial " manner. Before you cut the blank, try to mock up what you want to do with the blank. Take the terminal rigging you want to use, including any sinkers, and use a section of mono with a loop in the other end to suspend it from the blank where you think you want to cut it. You can use tape to hold the mono loop to the tip area and move the mono up and down the blank to see if you can find a sweet spot. If you find a good spot, measure back from there and mark the location where your butt cut will be (if any), and then measure up from there to determine your handle locations. Then holding the rod in these locations, check the action and power to see if this is what you're hoping to achieve. A this point you'll know whether or not this blank will suit your needs before cutting it. Keep in mind you might want to trim conservatively at first, you can always trim a little more, but if you trim too much at first you can't realistically add that back.

Date: December 15, 2014 08:07PM

John gives good advice here!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster