I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
9 ft musky rod guide spacing for starters
Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: December 13, 2014 08:40AM

Can anyone give me a guide spacing for a 9 foot musky rod? I just need the basics to start, I will do a static line deflection test and test casting as this is a longer than normal custom grip.

thanks much buzz

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 9 ft musky rod guide spacing for starters
Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: December 13, 2014 11:00AM

Check Anglers Resource for guide sizes and spacing as a starting point. They list many different lengths and with various rod powers.

Date: December 13, 2014 11:06AM

Chester,
Anglers Resoure guide positioning software only deals with spin rod set up.
"GPS deals only with the reduction train of spinning rods, the stripper guide to the choke point. Proper selection of stripper guides and the subsequent reduction guides to a known choke point are the most critical factors in creating a rod that casts further, handles fish better and remains light and sensitive throughout.
GPS will automatically update as information and products change"

i am looking for a casting musky rod. i saw no spacing charts or other guide spacing on that website. What am I missing? did I not click on the right spot?
Thanks
Buzz

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: December 13, 2014 11:09AM

I think standard space between a casting reel and the stripper is 23 to 27 inches. I would be looking for a distance the gives me a smooth flow from the two extremes of the level wind into the guide. After that, let your static test tell you where the other guides are needed.

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 13, 2014 11:11AM

Here's where I usually start from:
1. From tip: 2.75
2. 3"
3. 3.5"
4. 4.5"
5. 5.5"
6. 6.5"
7. 8"
8. 10"
9. 12"
10. 14"

That should get you in the ballpark, you'll have to adjust from there based on action and grip lengths. I like to have my butt guides around 24-25" from the middle of the reel seat. It gives guys more room for their thumbs when holding the fore grip.

jeremy

Date: December 13, 2014 11:13AM

Thanks Jeremy,, just what I was looking for.

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: December 13, 2014 11:21AM

Buzz Butters Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Chester,
> Anglers Resoure guide positioning software only
> deals with spin rod set up.
> "GPS deals only with the reduction train of
> spinning rods, the stripper guide to the choke
> point. Proper selection of stripper guides and
> the subsequent reduction guides to a known choke
> point are the most critical factors in creating a
> rod that casts further, handles fish better and
> remains light and sensitive throughout.
> GPS will automatically update as information and
> products change"
>
> i am looking for a casting musky rod. i saw no
> spacing charts or other guide spacing on that
> website. What am I missing? did I not click on the
> right spot?
> Thanks
> Buzz

Hi Buzz,
I was referring to the printed material that Anglers Resource publishes, sorry for not making that distention.

I'm bad, I was going to list the spacing and sizes, but they only go to 8 feet.... sorry about that.

It is a nice publication and maybe worth while asking for one anyway.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: December 13, 2014 06:50PM

Buzz,
If you give the distance from reel to tip and the desired number of guides I can give you some placements.
This will also take into account grip length customizations.

Gene

Date: December 14, 2014 07:38AM

Gene, send me an email I have all the info for you. Your email is hidden.

Buzz

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: December 14, 2014 09:33AM

I have a question about your tip guide spacing Jeremy, since the part of the tip your putting the guide on doesn't flex so it has no real load on it why is it so close to the tip top? Not just you, as it seems to be a trend to add weight instead of remove it from the tip on factory rods also, Rods built 20 years ago the first guide was 4 to 5 inches away some longer, now 3 inches seems pretty normal, and the others closer also.

Date: December 14, 2014 11:20AM

No problem Chester, thanks for the input and the interest
Buzz

Date: December 14, 2014 11:46AM

Spencer, the rods of today are nothing like the rods of 20 years ago. Back then, a 7' musky rod was considered very long. Now, the average rod I build is 9' and I'm consistently asked to build rods between 9' and 10'6".

The materials the rods are built out of have also drastically changed. As the building materials have changed, so have the methods for building the rods. The majority of the musky rods I build are on St Croix blanks which are fast action and require a closer spacing at the tip. I like to have an even, progressive spacing of the guides which is what the above dimensions give me for a starting point. I try to offset the extra weight caused by more guides close to the tip by using smaller, lightweight guides such as KWAG 5.5's or LDB's in a 5 or 6.

If you were to start your spacing at 5" on these rods, I think a couple things would happen. First, I don't think you could get the required number of guides on the rod. Second, you going to end up with your line dipping below the blank under a heavy load.

jeremy

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (184.76.112.---)
Date: December 14, 2014 05:45PM

Jeremy,
I understand it was a fast tipped blank, see no reason how length of the blank would be important where guides spacing is involved, when you load the blank the tip straightens and points toward the load, all the guides now on that straight section of blank carries little to no load, therefore having a guide so close to the tip top is a waste of a good guide and unneeded weight isn't it?
I've used hot shot blanks for many years which are fast to very fast tipped blanks and have yet seen the need for a guide so close to the tip top. If the blank is not bent, the line can not touch the blank, like the blank will do 12 to 24 inches further back. I don't think I've seen any blank bend enough in the first 5 or 6 inches to warrant all the guides and their spacing I'm starting to see on rods, factory or otherwise.
As the late, great Bobby Feazel said years ago he doesn't let anything but load distribution pick guide distance from the reel, which decreases the amount of guides used on his all on top, micro guide rods, I don't think the other end should be any different.
This is just a discussion I hope, if I'm mistaken it wouldn't be the first time.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 14, 2014 06:45PM

I would suggest

Google up casting Rod guide spacing A 9 ft rod with guides on top ( not the best way ) would take at least 11 guides to Start Depending on the power of the blank 4 " maybe to start first guide from the tip top

Then a Static Test and loading the rod will tell you ( depending on how you want the line to go Below the blank ) Plus a test Cast and change guides as the butt guide with pressure on as a fish if the line touches your hand , Addjust guide size height
A Spiral Wrap may work better for ease of Handleing the rod with no twisting because the guides are at the 180 as a spinning rod

Bill - willierods.com

Date: December 14, 2014 06:55PM

Spencer,

Rest assured, this is a very friendly discussion. That's the one thing I hate about forums, you can't see a person's facial expressions or hear their tone of voice.

I think you missed the point of my post regarding rod length. My point was that things have changed in the last 20 years- materials, building techniques, fishermen's preferences, and our knowledge of our craft. I never said that guide placement depends on rod length. What was normal 20 years ago (i.e. 1st guides placed at 5") isn't necessarily the way things are done today. Some of those changes are things we can look at and agree are definite improvements, like new blank construction and materials. Others are more open to opinion, like guide placement.

I suppose what you're fishing for (no pun intended!) here is a reason for why I do what I do. I set rods up this way because the static tests tell me to (and the voices in my head agree). It I don't have the guides spaced like this, the line touches or dips below the blank when under load. This guide spacing also gives a nice, even, progressive curve on a rod when it is loaded. I think where our opinions differ is that I believe that rods do carry load at the tip and therefore need the appropriate guide layout to evenly distribute that load. It just seems to me that when a blank has a 'straight' spot on it while it's being flexed, then it does not have an evenly distributed stress load on it. When I set up a rod, I want it to look like a nice, even curve. I'm not saying I'm 100% right, but that's how and why I do it.

I still have a lot to learn so I'm very interested in hearing why and how you design your guide layouts.

jeremy

Date: December 14, 2014 07:30PM

Tom K started his whay of placing guides on a ron for even pressure

Then Fuji had a new whay of doing it

I think it just Depends on who you want to believe
Call me old school I always like Toms way

Like always said
Ask 10 people the same question
You get 10 Different answers

Bill - willierods.com

Date: December 14, 2014 07:33PM

Here is the spacing that Gene came up with a 9 ft 4" rod, Rear grip 16", foregrip 6 1/2", reel face is at 93" from tip. Ferrule at 75"

Thanks Gene, Jeremy, Chester, Spencer!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
5.3 11.1 17.4 24.3 31.8 40.0 48.9 58.7 69.3

Buzz

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2014 07:33PM by Buzz Butters.

Date: December 14, 2014 07:37PM

Does the line hit the hand or the finger when pressure is put on the rod when a good fish is being pulled in ??? if so the butt guide has to be adjusted
Any spacing is just A STARTING POINT

Or just do a Factory Spacing and be Done - but then is that a Custom Rod ??

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2014 07:41PM by bill boettcher.

Date: December 14, 2014 07:48PM

Bill, read my earlier post. i will be test casting and static line deflection test. I am aware of the definition of what a custom rod is and how to do custom spacing based on reel location and putting the rod under load. I just needed a starting point. and I got that information from the other posters.

Date: December 14, 2014 07:52PM

Google up - Guide Spacing Charts - You did want the Starting Placing of the guides - Did youy not ???

How else could you start -- Simple As your post

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2014 08:00PM by bill boettcher.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster