I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Andy Dear
Posted by: Fred Duncan (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: December 12, 2014 02:16PM

When the rod building craft lost Andy's creative and high quality minded input, this craft lost a vital innovator. To me, a guy thats been out of rod making for some time, his abscence and loss of input is very obvious. I miss him. Andy come back....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Andy Dear
Posted by: Ken Finch (---.)
Date: December 12, 2014 07:43PM

Andy made his money and got out. A lot of good, creative rod builders have come upon the scene since then, and many of the most creative ones have been around and are still here.

Posted by: mike thacker (---.dyn.grandenetworks.net)
Date: December 12, 2014 08:29PM

Fred,
Would you care to elaborate? What is "very obvious"? I have only been doing this for a couple of years but it seems to me innovation and creativity abound. Thanks.

Posted by: Fred Duncan (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: December 13, 2014 05:57AM

Cork.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 13, 2014 07:57AM

Much more cork in many greater styles and types than ever before, right now.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (50.153.124.---)
Date: December 13, 2014 05:12PM

While I agree that Andy was a great innovator and introduced a lot of us to the wood lathe for rod building there are plenty more that push the envelope even further. Just look at Billy Vivona's work and mark Blaubaum to name a couple.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: mike thacker (---.dyn.grandenetworks.net)
Date: December 14, 2014 12:01AM

Fred Duncan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Cork.

Thanks for clearing that up. Very informative. Good Luck with your endeavors.

Posted by: Jerry Cook (---.fidnet.com)
Date: December 14, 2014 10:35AM

I agree with Tom, much more in cork out there. However, that being said, the quality of natural cork has gone way down. What we buy today as Flor grade would not have passed as AAA grade 5 years ago. I've been very disappointed in the quality of natural and burnt burl I've been buying for some time now, regardless of where I buy it.

Jerry Cook
J-Cook Fly Rods

Date: December 14, 2014 11:17AM

Which brings up another point - what is Flor grade? Does that "grade" mean a high or low grade of cork? That's the bigger problem. There is nothing anywhere that puts any sort of standard on "Flor" which can be as good or as bad as the seller deems it to be. Until there is a standard with some sort of numerical percent clarity or quality behind it, Flor remains a subjective term.

Posted by: Jerry Cook (---.fidnet.com)
Date: December 14, 2014 08:21PM

You're absolutely correct Tom. There is no industry standard and therein lies the big problem. What XYZ company calls Flor grads ABC company may call "Select grade" or even AAAA or AAA. Until there is an industry standard, we will continue to have this discussion. There needs to be an industry standard, but then, who is going to determine that "standard"?

Date: December 15, 2014 07:48AM

Actually there is such a standard and more consumers should insist that their dealers use it:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster