I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

'Need Suggestions for a 7'- 6" Crappie Blank
Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 09, 2014 09:58PM

Hi All,

A buddy of mine has asked me to build him, (after the 1st of the year), a two-piece, 7'-6" crapping rod. I welcome any suggestions you can make for a blank. He is fairly young with new baby and I don't think he wants to get real expensive with the blank. I don't know how "married" he is to the 7'-6" length, but I am sure he wants to stay with the two-piece blank. I've done a little checking for blanks on the web; but I am sure you guys back East are more familiar with Crappie Blanks than I am. I live in CA and 90% of the rods I build are for LMB.

Thank you for your help,

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 'Need Suggestions for a 7'- 6" Crappie Blank
Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: December 09, 2014 11:00PM

I built a nice crappie rod that works well be me. I used the Batson XP840 which has been replaced by IMMP70UL. The blank is only 7'-0", but if he really wants a 7'-6" you will have to keep looking because this model line doesn't have one that long. My rod is coupled with a 500 series Shamino reel and incorporates the Fuji CR Concept for guides. It really is a dream to cast very small jigs and the action is easy on the crappies tender lips.

Posted by: Michal Rozycki (193.201.167.---)
Date: December 10, 2014 03:29AM

Methinks S871-2-MHX might do the job. A cute blank, light, sensitive tip, gentle on light lines and fish mouths. I would suggest PacBay Minima or other very light guides. Would be a pity to waste its natural action.
Cheers,
Michal

Posted by: Jared Taylor (---.mycingular.net)
Date: December 10, 2014 10:31AM

Could try the Batson S781-2, have built quite a few of these for crappie rods. The MHX blank in the same configuration will fit the bill. They're both relatively inexpensive. A second thought might be a fly blank in an intermediate modulus (if he likes a slower action). I'm building a 7'6" 0wt fly rod for a guy who likes them really whippy. But as was suggested by lots of guys on here, a 2-4 wt fly blank makes an awesome panfish rod and there are a few in that length that are 2 piece.
Good luck and let us know what you decide on.
Jared

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 10, 2014 10:31AM

For longer crappie blanks that I want to cast baits a good distance using bobbers, I really prefer to use light steel head rods. They work wonderfully well and you can cast a very long distance with them.

Be safe

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: December 10, 2014 02:50PM

A 2-3 wt. fly rod blank would work great.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 10, 2014 04:31PM

REVS72UL-SB
UL Trout & Panfish
7'2" 2-6 1/32-3/16 0.393 5 Fast 1.48 UL

Rainshadow Revelation, has garnered some really good reviews. I have used a 3 wt fly rod blank for this and find it very nice. I think the Revelation may feel more precise/tight than a fly blank.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 10, 2014 05:25PM

I would also suggest to find out the lure weight he wants to cast All rods load well with the Propper Weight Lure / or line It is still weight to load the rod or blank

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 12, 2014 12:41PM

Thank You all for your suggestions. It helps a bunch. I was thinking about cutting down a flyrod; but I need to get some details from him as to what he wants to be casing, action etc.

Thanks Again,

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Jared Taylor (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: December 12, 2014 03:03PM

Don, it's not really necessary to "cut" down a fly rod. There are lots of blanks in the 7'6" range. Lots are 4 piece but you can find blanks by American Tackle (matrix series), Batson (Rainshadow RX-6 and RX-7), Pac Bay and lots of others in 2 piece.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 12, 2014 03:42PM

Agree with Jared on lots of good blanks that don't require cutting down. My 3 wt is a MATRIX and it is a typical traditional fly rod action that works well with lures like 1/8 oz cranks. With this kind of length in an ultra lite the hook set will be much more reliable than it will be with shorter rods. (7 1/2).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster