I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

6 axis layout question
Posted by: John Shear (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: December 07, 2014 09:45PM

Hi folks, I want to try a 6-axis 3D chevron but I'm not sure how to offset the marks on each axis. I'm not sure even after reviewing books by Clemens, Kirkman, and Vivona.
Let's assume my centers spacing is 12mm (just picked a random number to keep math simple)

For a 4-axis, 90 and 270 axis marks are started at the beginning of the wrap while 0 and 180 axis marks are started 6mm from the start of the wrap.

For a 6 axis, is it something like
0 and 180 axis 0 offset
60 and 240 axis 4 offset
120 and 300 axis 8 offset

Thanks for the help
John

John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 6 axis layout question
Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: December 08, 2014 10:32AM

John,

For 4, 6, or 8 axis wraps, you must lay out 2, 3, or 4 complete sets of crosses (if you want to mark every cross - more experienced wrappers may not need to do this).

First things first. This is a closed wrap, so taper offset calculation is in order. For your 6 axis wrap you will calculate the crosses for a standard 0-180 and also at the tapered 1/3 and 2/3 points between the main crosses (for the entire length of your wrap, not just the first cross layout). Using your numbers for the 12mm layout and taking into account taper you might have:
0 axis at 0"
60/300 axis at 4.1(taper offset 4.1)
120/240 axis at 8.1(taper offset 4)
180 axis at 12 (taper offset 3.9)
offsets 4.1 + 4 + 3.9 = 12.

Okay if you're with me up to this point, it gets a lot easier now. To help us with referencing which opposing axis are pairs as we are turning the blank I would use a color coding system, let's use red, white, and blue. wrap a band of tape on the blank and mark opposing axis on the tape with color reference marks. 0 and 180 will get red, 60 and 240 will get white, and 120 and 300 will get blue. Since in this wrap all axis will be wrapped at the same time, it will be easy to remember wrap up and down on red, then up and down on white, up and down on blue, and repeat until done.

Next step, layout 6 axis lines in the area of your wrap, one on each axis (0, 60, 120, 180, 240, and 300). Now, you will mark every distance in your taper offset layout by drawing a circle around the blank at each distance. For accuracy purposes, make sure to use baseline distances from a common point, don't do incremental distances from point to point. If you make a mistake on any single incremental layout it will carry over into all the remaining layout points. Baseline layout errors will only show at that one error and will easily stand out as a mistake allowing you to correct it before proceeding with the wrap. The easiest way to circumscribe the circles is to mount the blank in your wrapper and with the rod rotating bring your marker into the rod as it's turning to draw the circle. This is the same procedure as a woodturner would follow when they layout the transition points from profile to profile in a turning.

What you should have now is six longitudinal layout lines on axis 60 degrees apart, and a circumscribed circle at each axis cross and the 1/3 and 2/3 points between each axis cross. Every point where a circumscribed line crosses an axis line is a point where your threads will cross. Use your color codes to keep track of the order and sequence as you wrap so you don't accidentally drop or add an extra thread. if you think of your blank laid out flat, the crossing lines will look like graph paper lines and your threads will be laid diagonally from corner to corner.

Hope this helps.

Posted by: John Shear (198.135.125.---)
Date: December 08, 2014 05:28PM

John P,
I chose the 3D chevron because I understand it's an open wrap so I wouldn't have to worry about taper offset stuff.
I do understand your explanation though and like the tip of using different color tape to keep track of my axis'.
I do intend to mark all 6 axis' on the underwrap since I am not proficient enough to make it look really nice without all the reference marks.

John

John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Date: December 09, 2014 08:21AM

John,

Sorry, I wrote something misleading and didn't catch it until your reply. I should have been more clear with the comment about a closed wrap, that is the wrong terminology; your correct that it's an open wrap. I was thinking in terms of underwrap plus the chevrons covering the blank and the taper offsetting will give you equal sized openings where the contrasting underwrap will show.

So really what I should have wrote was think of this open wrap like a closed wrap for the purposes of spacing.

If you don't do a taper offset, your background underwrap will look large near the butt and small near the tip which doesn't work well when you're trying to get the 3D effect.

Posted by: John Shear (199.19.250.---)
Date: December 09, 2014 05:12PM

Ah, I get it John. I'm going to do at least one practice wrap before I do it on the good rod, so I'll not do the TOS for the first test and see what it looks like. If I'm not happy I'll do a second test with TOS. I have lots of time to kill in winter.

John

John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Date: December 11, 2014 10:08AM

Post a pic when you get it done.

Posted by: John Shear (98.125.152.---)
Date: December 15, 2014 08:06PM

Well, I started with these offsets as I mentioned above:

0 and 180 axis 0 offset
60 and 240 axis 4 offset

and it looked really lopsided so I cut it all off. I think next I'll try offsets like this (assuming 12mm centers) to get more square boxes:
0, 120, 240 axis 0 offset
60, 180, 300 axis' 6 offset

I think I need to look at more pictures.

John S.

John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Posted by: John Shear (98.125.152.---)
Date: December 15, 2014 08:06PM

Well, I started with these offsets as I mentioned above:

0 and 180 axis 0 offset
60 and 240 axis 4 offset

and it looked really lopsided so I cut it all off. I think next I'll try offsets like this (assuming 12mm centers) to get more square boxes:
0, 120, 240 axis 0 offset
60, 180, 300 axis' 6 offset

I think I need to look at more pictures.

John S.

John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Date: December 16, 2014 12:41PM

John,

If you would like some help determining the crosses using a tapered offset layout, shoot me an e-mail and I'll get you set up. If you click on my name at the top of my posts my e-mail is shown there.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster