I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lathe Chuck Cleaning
Posted by: Andrew McDermott (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 07, 2014 06:06PM

Two of the TAig style chucks on the headstocks of my lathes seem to be binding up, I have removed then and gave hem a bath in Coca Cola to remove the surface rust, (don't laugh it works), but now am curious what others do to keep the chucks operating smoothly.
I am uncertain as to what to use as a lubricant for he jaws as the potential for a fisheye and contamination vortex is there!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lathe Chuck Cleaning
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 07, 2014 06:26PM

Why not just wash it with Alcohol

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: December 07, 2014 08:05PM

Where are they located that they can rust? As far as a lubricant, use a product such as Dry Slide which is graphite in suspension and has no oils in it.

Posted by: John Lentz (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 07, 2014 08:22PM

I use a brass wire brush and steel wool to remove most of the rust and than wax with Collinnite Insulator wax. I also use this wax on my lathe bed and other lathe parts for protection. I would think any god auto wax would work well also. Collinite is a good durable wax that I was introduced to by a customer who recommended using it on reel spools to prevent saltwater corrosion. I have purchased some used lathes that had some chucks in pretty bad shape. I usually clean them good with a brass wire wheel and than steel wool. I rinse them off and then place them in a warm oven to dry. Once dry I hit them again with steel wool, wipe as clean as I can with a paper towel and than apply the Collinite Insulator wax. Once dry I buff it off and t is good to go. Just make sure you put it back together correctly.
John

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 08, 2014 08:38AM

Andrew,
Keep a spray can of wd-40 handy.
Any time you are done using the lathe, spray it with wd-40 and leave it wet.

WD-40 was originally designed for the military as a rust preventive and it works wonderfully well for that purpose.

I have my lathe in the Garage, and it certainly goes through temperature changes. When it goes through temperature changes, condensation happens.

Since the lathe is in the garage, I have a high powered air compressor close by. Any time I finish a job, I use high pressure air to blow out and remove any dust or chips from all parts of the lathe. Then, before leaving, I just give it a quick spray down with WD-40.

I have several tools in the garage that have cast iron tool tops in the form of band saw, drill press and lathe bed. All of these surfaces are very prone to rusting when condensation happens. So, I always leave these surfaces wet with wd-40 when
leaving to avoid getting any rust.

If I do happen to get any rust on these cast iron surfaces, I spray down the surface with wd-40 as a carrier, and then use a high speed rotary steel brush to brush off any rust that may have formed on the cast iron. Then, a final wipe down with wd-40 and it works very well.

Also, if any surface rust has gathered on the side of a chuck, I just use 400 grit paper with the lathe running on high speed to polish off any rust that might have formed.

Good luck

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 08, 2014 09:53AM

ROger is there any advantage/disadvantage to using scotchbrite or steel wool as opposed to teh 400 paper or wire brush?

Date: December 08, 2014 11:12AM

--------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2014 03:51PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: December 08, 2014 02:47PM

Roger,

I agree with you on the WD40. I use it on most of the exposed metal surfaces of 14 pieces of machinery in my woodshop.

However, I prefer a different product to use on the ways, carriage, tool rest and tailstock of a lathe. When dry, PG2000 is drier than WD40 and won't attract EVA and cork dust like WD40 can if not completely dry. This makes daily clean up a lot easier, one quick shot of compressed air and literally everything blows off like you wiped it down with a rag.

Depending on your equipment, there are a couple more preferred spots I've found. If your lathe tailstock quill is like mine and has an exposed opening on the underside when extended, PG2000 applied to the threads will repel the dust where WD40 never seemed to dry out and i found actually attracted dust. Other areas where I prefer to use it include the gears on my drill press and the trunnions of my table saw. Wherever there are close confined areas you can't easily clean, or have mating surfaces that are frequently moved are places to consider "new school" products like PG2000 over the "old school" WD40.

Andrew,

I've never looked at a MSDS for PG2000, so I've been hesitant to use it on my wrapper in fear of transferring something to a rod in progress. Instead, I keep all the metallic surfaces of my wrapper, not just the chuck and the sides of the chuck jaws, waxed and polished with carnauba wax.

Note: Just to clarify, I don't wax anything that thread passes over or through or the gripping surfaces of any chuck.

My wrapper is in a clean heated area, unlike my machinery in the dirty area, so condensation and rust is less of a concern. The advantage of carnauba is that it has to be applied and then polished clean and once dry, there's really nothing left to migrate to a rod. I use a Mother's brand product that is pure carnauba wax with no silica additives. It's never caused a problem for me in the past.

Billy,

Billy if you're just going to clean up the outside surfaces and not do a complete teardown of the chuck then Scotchbrite should be fine, however I wouldn't use steel wool. It's too fragile and when you are using it to clean the exterior of your chuck, steel wool offcasts will migrate into the interior working areas of your chuck and generally make a mess of things, especially if you use something wet as a lubricant in conjunction with the wool. This wouldn't be a factor though if you're doing a tear down and complete cleaning as you'd be cleaning interior surfaces also.

Oh forgot, here's a link to a source for the PG2000 for woodworking lubricant:
[www.amazon.com]
I think Rockler and Woodcraft (or similar stores) carry it also.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2014 03:36PM by John E Powell.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 08, 2014 03:20PM

Roger you answerred the question in teh wrong post. Teh dcal question is below.
Thanks John

Date: December 08, 2014 03:50PM

I did didn't I.

Date: December 08, 2014 03:53PM

Also if you check out WD 40's web site they have new products that may work better

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Andrew McDermott (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 08, 2014 08:33PM

I guess I was not totally clear, this is for the headstock on my wrapping lathe, not a wood or metal lathe. Gave them the soda bath last night, then brought them to work and rinsed them in the parts washer, then tonite gave them the Boeshield T 9 treatment. Then wiped them dry and will let them sit to dry further overnight.
Thanks for all the advice.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 09, 2014 08:47AM

Boeshield T-9 is an excellent product for this.

Posted by: billy brodrick (---.cmts.sth3.ptd.net)
Date: December 09, 2014 09:12AM

stay away from wd40 its a oil that will stay. Boeshield t9 is the best. it will remove any corrosion problems and leave a thin coating of a paraffin like wax. GREAT STUFF

Date: December 09, 2014 09:57AM

Nice wright up on there web site
[boeshield.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: December 09, 2014 10:08AM

Boeshield is definitely more high tech than WD40 (old product, dunno about the new if any) but the PG2000 performed better than the Boeshield according to one of the more reputable woodworker reviews (they don't accept advertising and purchase stuff they test). I don't recall the entire field of products but I do recall PG2000 topped the list and the Boeshield was also a recommended product, just not the winner. WD40 was in the middle of the pack. The PG2000 excelled with mating parts compared to Boeshield, otherwise they were essentially similar in results.
I've used both.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster