I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Epoxy over decal
Posted by: David Bourque (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: December 07, 2014 03:46PM

I have been having problems applying epoxy over decal's sometimes. Is there a product or solution to wipe on the decal to stop the epoxy from separating from it and causing problems. My fix now is to follow up with multiple then coats but it is very time consuming. I'm only down about 20 rod builds so I know there is a lot to know. Other than the decal my wraps finish out great so I think its not my application process.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy over decal
Posted by: Greg Foy (---.sub-70-197-9.myvzw.com)
Date: December 07, 2014 04:23PM

Coat decal edges with color preserver or spray over with krypton fixative. Sometimes it works and other times not. Decals are a pain for me, too.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 07, 2014 04:29PM

It also helps if you put a coat of finish on first -- then the decal

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Roman Chamine (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: December 07, 2014 05:19PM

If you use lite, try the high build. It usually works much better for me.

Date: December 07, 2014 05:27PM

Plus

Where are you getting your decals ?? Sounds like it may be contamination Dirty hands ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: December 07, 2014 05:44PM

I am pretty sure the problem is a fine line of adhesive around the edge of the decal, the epoxy won't flow over it. You're right Bill, put the decal over a coat of epoxy.

Greg
Aptos, CA

Date: December 07, 2014 06:08PM

I did lay down a coat of epoxy prior to installing the decal. After installing the decal I wiped the decal with a dry towel. I then applied a lite build layer and it looked fantastic. I checked on it about 1 hr later and it started to become wavy as if the epoxy was moving away from the decal. I have two rods going and 1 messed up and the other did not, same decal and process on both. I may have touched the decal after cleaning I'm not sure. Would temp and humidity have an effect. I wouldn't think

Date: December 07, 2014 06:22PM

if you used a light finish - maybe that was it
Or
Dirty hands and it got some contamination on the decal
Like said i have had problems with thinning finish ( too thin ) and having it seperate

If you use a thin finish at a slow turning rate if you can load it on at a faster rate

Bill - willierods.com

Date: December 07, 2014 06:25PM

My second coat will be a high build. And I will let you know how it turned out.

Date: December 07, 2014 06:32PM

How many coats should it normally take. 2 or 3. When it has a problem it take me about 4 to smooth it back out.

Date: December 07, 2014 06:38PM

That depends How fast you apply If you play buy heating
I like and get good results with a thin coat Then scoff any dust or frizzies with 400 dry ( wet dry paper ) and then do a secound coat

You will have to get your way of doing your finish

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: December 07, 2014 06:58PM

Tells us more about your decals, do you make them or do you buy them?

Date: December 07, 2014 07:22PM

It is a MHX blank decal and a name decal from MUD HOLE. But if the problem will go away I will invest in a decal maker. I'm currently looking at ink transfer decal so I will not have to put in epoxy over it.

Date: December 07, 2014 07:23PM

It is a MHX blank decal and a name decal from MUD HOLE. But if the problem will go away I will invest in a decal maker. I'm currently looking at ink transfer decal so I will not have to put in epoxy over it.

Posted by: Chad Barlongo (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: December 07, 2014 07:27PM

Hello David,

I had a similar problem with epoxy finish reacting to the ink in a screen-printed logo and going wavy right above the lettering.

Was advised by the folks here to use at least 2 coats of color preserver, fully dried between coats, and left untouched for 24 hours.

Applying finish after that was a breeze--no waves.

-chad

Date: December 07, 2014 07:33PM

I will sure give that a try. I have a extra couple decal's ill practice on.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 08, 2014 08:42AM

I have found that about two passes with a gray scotch bright pad before applying the finish on top of the label takes care of the issue. The pad, leaves hair line scratches in the surface to let the finish apply cleanly with no lifting issues.

It is understood, that the writing on the decal is NOT on the surface of the decal, but rather the underside of the decal.

Be safe

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 08, 2014 11:24AM

I had the same issue until I used the tip of coating the labels before applying finish.

I use 2 coats of Krylon fixative, with at least 1 hour cure time between coats prior to applying finish. Sometimes there is residual adhesive on the label face, or around the edges of the label. the Krylon fixative seals all this off and prevents interaction with the finish.

Once coated, using your favorite finish should work fine.

Terry

Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.olypen.com)
Date: December 10, 2014 11:18AM

Hi David,
Below I have posted my two cents on this issue. It used to give me headaches too.

1. If the epoxy is not adhering to the outside of the decal: Likely causes are contamination that the decal picked up from your finger while being applied or the decal substrate does not receive epoxy well. If you think its contamination, you may wish to take a very small amount of denatured alcohol (too much may run underneath the decal and dilute the adhesive) on a soft cloth and wipe away the contaminate. If you suspect the decals substrate doesn't accept finish well, than I would follow Roger's advise two posts up.

2. If the decal is lifting (not staying conformed to the blank's curve) when finish is applied, than applying some quick heat to the decal before applying the finish can work wonders. Keep in mind that this does take some finesse. Too much heat for too long will fry your decal into a shriveled mess. The way I do it is: 2-3 quick passes with a lighter or torch. How quick? To be safe, make passes as quick as you can pass a cheap plastic lighter without the flame going out. The heat will relieve the stress within the decal substrate making it naturally want to conform the blank. This is similar to annealing steel.

Hope this helps. Happy Building!

-Geoff Staples

Date: December 15, 2014 05:22PM

Thanks for all of the help. I decided to go with cleaning the surface with denatured alcohol. 1 coat under the decal and 2 coats over the decal and it was great. Now if I can stop creating bubbles on the application of the finish I will be on my way.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster