I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Installing Shrink Wrap
Posted by: Robert Hummel (---.lightspeed.dybhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 28, 2014 07:33PM

I have seen a step-by-step video for installing shrink wrap over the grips on a new build but am unable to locate now. Video showed how to get a perfect fit on the ends that meet the reel seat. Does anyone remember seeing it and know where I can find it on line?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Installing Shrink Wrap
Date: November 29, 2014 10:26AM

Are you referring to the clear plastic protective shrink wrap or the textured material that can be used as an over grip?

Joe Moriarity
Director Of Operations
Custom Fly Grips LLC
[www.customflygrips.com]
[www.facebook.com]
joe@customflygrips.com

Posted by: Dave Gallenberger (---.npg.sta.suddenlink.net)
Date: November 29, 2014 10:36AM

I've never seen a video, but it's pretty easy to do right. I put shrink wrap on all of my floor model rods that will be displayed and played with by customers in a shop. Make sure you leave a little lip of plastic so when someone buys it you can easily make a cut in the lip, and then rip the rest of the plastic off. Don't use too much heat or you will leave burn marks on the cork!

Date: November 29, 2014 11:23AM

I usually install my shrink wrap on a mandrel attached to a drill. Spin the drill slowly to distribute the heat evenly. Work from one end to the other, leaving a little overlap that can be cut off with a straight razor blade when you are finished. For the small end of a reverse half wells grip, I usually heat the shrink wrap to the end, then while it is still soft, I grab the shrink wrap while the mandrel is spinning to get it tight around the grip. It ends up with a spiral screw pattern on the end, but it will be hard to get it perfect. The shrink film is only meant to shrink about 50% so for thinner ends of grips you may not be able to get it close to the grip without using that method.

Joe Moriarity
Director Of Operations
Custom Fly Grips LLC
[www.customflygrips.com]
[www.facebook.com]
joe@customflygrips.com

Posted by: John Buzzell (---.dvnp.qwest.net)
Date: November 29, 2014 01:08PM

Is this the link you was looking for: [youtu.be]

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 29, 2014 02:47PM

I think this is what you are looking for From MudHole
[www.youtube.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Date: November 29, 2014 09:35PM

Thanks for all the responses. I was referring to grip material such as x-wrap. The one I remember showed a way to mount the x-warp where the fore grip meets the reel seat so no edge showed. I haven't found the original video I remember but have found several others on youtube that suffice.

Posted by: Chad Barlongo (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: November 30, 2014 12:36AM

Hello,

I searched for that one too awhile back with no luck. Have seen and done it before though, and if I remember right the process was to cut the heat-shrink a bit longer than the grip at both ends.

Gentle heat is applied from the center out, then grip is held vertically and the ends are pressed down on a hard, flat, surface for a minute or two.

This will fold the heat-shrink over all the way to the bore. Any material that overlaps the bore is trimmed and then the grip installed as usual.

-chad

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2014 07:33AM by Chad Barlongo.

Date: November 30, 2014 03:12PM

Chad - Is this the one you are referring to: [guidespacing.com]

Don't think the link will work properly but It's on the Batson site under Tips and Tecniques. Not a video but a slide show, maybe what I was looking for.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2014 03:20PM by Robert Hummel.

Posted by: Chad Barlongo (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: November 30, 2014 08:39PM

Robert,

Yes that is the one I recall seeing, maybe not a video but it worked well for me.

Only difference is I don't use spray adhesive, rather a super thin coat of rod-bond--more working time and easier to clean up.

Appreciate you posting the link.

-chad

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster