I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ice Rod Handle Question
Posted by: Dan Ertz (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: November 28, 2014 03:45PM

I'm planning to put EVA Tennessee handles on some ice rods.

The butt ends of the blanks are only about .150"

The smallest ID hole for EVA or cork that is offered by this vendor is .1875.

I'm thinking of using either masking tape arbors or wrapping D sized thread around the blank. They also offer a .250" dia. graphite tube that can be used to fill in the difference between the blank and the handle.

I'm probably over thinking this, but I'm not thrilled with any of these options. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Dan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ice Rod Handle Question
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 28, 2014 05:06PM

Prep the blank for a good bond and use 1/4" tape as an arbor

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 28, 2014 06:25PM

Dan,
If you do some searches, there is a supplier who supplies cork handles with a small hole set up just for ice rods.

Be safe

Posted by: Anonymous User (184.99.7.---)
Date: November 28, 2014 09:52PM

Ive done a few Ice Rods over the past couple of weeks and have went with the masking tape arbor. To make yourself feel a bit better about it just make sure to build up the epoxy on the sides of your tape arbor.

BLAIR

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.cbpu.com)
Date: November 28, 2014 10:27PM

Janns Netcraft sells a korkalon ice fishing handle that works wonderfully. It is designed for small diamater blanks. Here is the link, but I see that they are out of stock.. www.jannsnetcraft.com/ice-rod-parts/027462400001.aspx

Posted by: Dan Ertz (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: November 29, 2014 08:01AM

Thanks for the replies. I'll use masking tape arbors on these rods and will order some 1/8" hole cork and/or korkalon handles from Janns next time I order from them.

Are there any sources for 1/8" hole EVA?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 29, 2014 08:36AM

-----------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2014 08:36AM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Anonymous User (184.99.7.---)
Date: November 29, 2014 09:23AM

Dan I have yet to see a 1/8" ID for EVA and could also use direction on where these might be available outside of making one myself.

BLAIR M.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: December 01, 2014 10:48AM

Dan, a couple of thoughts...

In your original post you ask about EVA, but you also mention cork. I'm not clear if cork is an option or not for you, but you can find cork rings without holes and drill them to any size you want.

As for eva, have you considered pouring your own foam core? You could use the same lightweight foam for building fiberglass/graphite skinned foam grips to create a core that you could slide a larger EVA grip over. The core foam shapes pretty easily, you could do it by hand if you don't have a lathe.

It would be a lot of extra work, but on an ice rod it should be significantly lighter than building up tape and filling the gaps between the tape with epoxy.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 01, 2014 11:29AM

The difference in the space on your sizes is less then a millimeter It will add some weight Use more 1/4" tape arbors

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster