I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Which products are best?
Posted by: Scott Vaughn (---.tampfl.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 26, 2014 01:56PM

I am new at building rods.

I'm not sure as to which adhesives, finish coat and thread products are best. Also, concerning thread, how do I know which thread to use a color preserver on or not?

Any/All help is highly appreciated.

Thank you,
Scott

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Which products are best?
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 26, 2014 02:01PM

You can't go wrong with Trondak products.

Date: November 26, 2014 02:02PM

Who sells Trondak?

Date: November 26, 2014 02:04PM

just saw on Mudhole and GetBit.

Thank you

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.direcway.com)
Date: November 26, 2014 03:01PM

Good Morning Scott,

There is a list of sponsors on the left side of this web site and they will all sell the products such as Trondak U-40 as well as others. If you are just starting out, I would recommend purchasing a small paper back book on rod building by Tom Kirkman. You can also look in the Library above on the right hand side where there are a lot of articles on rod building mentioned. Many of these were published in Rodbuilder magazine which I would also recommend you get a subscription to.

Here are some suggestions: Trondak products are sold my many of the sponsors on the left. This includes Epoxy Glue (Rod Bond), Epoxy Finish, Color Lock color Preserver, and Perma Gloss, a urethane finish. I have used just about every color preserver ever made and I find all of them will do the job. There are minor differences in color retention. I use Chroma Seal. There are several kinds of thread. I like Size A thread for almost all of my building. Nylon, silk, and polyester threads will all work well. The polyester thread is made for sewing machines and is usually coated with a silicone lubricant which can interfere with finishes. You will need to use color preserver with polyester thread. I would avoid rayon thread for two reasons, it is usually weaker and it tends to be fuzzy.

There are several of our sponsors who make or import reel seats, guides,cork rings, and rod blanks. Some rod blanks are imported from China and they can compete with USA blanks quite well. I am currently building a fly rod on a Pac Bay Quick Line blank that is from China as well as a fly rod using a St. Croix blank. The choice of a rod blank is very personal. Not only must the rod cast well and land fish efficiently, but the "feel" of the rod is important as well. The feel of a rod is very person unique. A rod may cast well, but the caster may not like how the rod feels while casting. As a result I would be foolish to recommend a "best" rod for any person. You will need to get some tools and I recommend not getting a power wrapper until you are sure you like rod building. When I started out back in 1959 I used a book and a cup for controlling the tension on the thread. I later moved to a simple wrapper made by the Thompson Company ( they also build flitting vises). Finally I began to build my own wrappers from wood. They are not fancy, but they work well for me.

Good luck

Mike Blomme

Date: November 26, 2014 03:24PM

Wow, that's quite the reply. Thank you very much.

I do have the book by Tom Kirkman, very informative. I also bought a threader and dryer from Mudhole so far.

I just felt a bit overwhelmed by all the different gels, adhesives, threads etc.

I am planning on subscribing to RodMaker magazine as well.

I will definitely be browsing this forums subjects and sponsors.

Thank you very much,
Scott

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 26, 2014 03:57PM

Scott,
When it comes to using color preserver, it is a personal choice.

If you use the typical nylon thread without color preserver, it will become deeper in color and a bit transparent. But, if you use color preserver on the same thread, it will remain the same color as it was when you wrapped it.

If you use NCP thread, it makes no difference whether you use color preserver or not. The color will remain the same.

Many folks including myself prefer the look of using nylon thread with no color preserver. For most of the rods that I build, I like to color match the thread to the blank so that the wrappings essentially disappear on the blank.

But, again, it is your choice. If in doubt - go to the salvation army or other stores or charity bins and pick up some old rods. You can use these to practice on and try different threads, with and without color preserver. You need to do the wrapping, add color preserver or not, and put on at least one coat of finish to see what the finished product will look like.

If you are in doubt and want to know the final look quickly, just do a test wrap and then brush on some denatured alcohol which will penetrate the thread or not - and will give you a pretty good idea of the final appearance of the wrap.

Be safe

Date: November 26, 2014 04:17PM

Great advice.

Thank you very much.

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 27, 2014 08:41AM

Hi,

What ever happened to doing your own research? Yes, it might take longer but you learn much more, good and bad. You acquire methods of figuring things out and can stand on your own two feet. Heaven forbid if the internet goes away and people have to think for themselves again.

There I go again showing my age and generation. I am all for helping people but not spoon feeding them. People are losing the desire to think for themselves.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Date: November 27, 2014 08:47AM

If you dont like giving advice, dont respond. If you read my post, i politely asked what others prefer due to the different manufacturer s out there. Im new to this and i have done research. This is a forum for advice and information on rod building, am i incorrect in assuming this?

Please don't insinuate or imply anything. I dont believe we've met.

Have a pleasant day.

Date: November 27, 2014 05:09PM

There are so many products out there on the market, I think you are wise to find out what people who have had an opportunity to try many of them prefer. Since you are new at this, it would be cost prohibitive for you to buy them all and do your own testing. Over 40 years of rod building I have tried nearly every product offered. Some I don't like and others are my "go to" products. Any new product that I test will not go on a rod until thoroughly tested on scrap blanks. If they don't perform to my expectations, they are 86'd. Trondak and Flex Coat both make products that have been around for years and both have advocates fiercely extolling them. There are other products as well and not all suppliers carry and sell them all. I wish you good luck in your rod building. Randy

Date: November 27, 2014 05:10PM

There are so many products out there on the market, I think you are wise to find out what people who have had an opportunity to try many of them prefer. Since you are new at this, it would be cost prohibitive for you to buy them all and do your own testing. Over 40 years of rod building I have tried nearly every product offered. Some I don't like and others are my "go to" products. Any new product that I test will not go on a rod until thoroughly tested on scrap blanks. If they don't perform to my expectations, they are 86'd. Trondak and Flex Coat both make products that have been around for years and both have advocates fiercely extolling them. There are other products as well and not all suppliers carry and sell them all. I wish you good luck in your rod building. Randy

Date: November 27, 2014 05:13PM

Sorry for the double post. Randy

Date: November 28, 2014 07:55AM

Great advice Randy. I think I'll just get a small quantity of a couple, try them out, and pick one from there.

Thanks again,
Scott

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.102.204.190.res-cmts.t132.ptd.net)
Date: November 28, 2014 05:38PM

Many helpful replies here. One, not so much. I woud have thought Scott's use of the internet as part of his research. Apparently he should have started with a tree branch and a piece of string. ( don"t anybody tell him about graphite!)

Date: November 28, 2014 05:42PM

Thx for the support Lynn.

I'm really enjoying this forum. Great resource.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 28, 2014 06:09PM

Hay lynn

Why are so many Posters becoming BONEHEADS

Do you want to say who this NOT SO GOOD POSTER IS - then again Who Cares And Why did you even Mention That

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: David Parsons (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: November 28, 2014 06:13PM

scott tell us the kind of rod you plan to build (fly rod, offshore trolling, ) that might help to tell you what to try and weather you want a lite or heavy coat on your thread wraps. for epoxy i like the paste epoxy because of it not running all over like liquids.

Date: November 28, 2014 06:27PM

I live in the Tampa area, so, mostly wading, inshore saltwater. Fishing for Redfish, Snook and Trout mainly. Most dont exceed 3-5 lbs but you really never know in saltwater. I just ordered my 1st blank with the following specs. Paid $31 for it under my wholesale account. I wanted a shorter rod cuz its just lighter and easier to manuever while in waist deep water with a current sometimes. I never freshwater fish, I live 5 min from the Gulf. I'm pretty much retired and need a hobby that I'll enjoy. I already have a few friends that want rods built but I want to make a few for myself 1st and get more comfortable with it.

Thanks alot David. any/all advice is greatly appreciated.

SKU Castaway_ISB603 M/T
Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price $62.32
Action XF
Application Bass / Inshore
Blank Weight N/A
Butt 0.500
Length 6'
PCS 1
Power M
Line Weight 8-17
Lure Weight 3/16-1/2
Tip 5.0
Color Matte Dark Green

Posted by: David Parsons (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 28, 2014 07:08PM

so you want a light rod try flex coat lite build for starters

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster