I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Looking for new OLD guides, Surf Rod and reel seat
Posted by: Scott Gamble (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: November 25, 2014 11:12PM

Hi, my first post but been reading and learning from the forum for awhile.

I am restoring a 12"6' Surf rod and was looking to try and replace the guides with the same or similar to keep it original.

The guides are double double foot guides of a casting surf rod.

They are white with a red ring and stainless steel frame, with what looks to be a bell symbol on the foot of guide with FK (I think), and PAT printed on them.

Sizes are 40, 30, 25, 20,16, 16, and 16 tip with the little pointing thing to wrap over on tip.

I'm hoping to re-use this rod and put it back into working order, the reel seat is buggered and have cut it of and was brass with chrome over it so possibly be after one of them or similar to, think it was about size 24 reel seat inside.

Any help in locating these or something similar to use would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Scott

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Looking for new OLD guides, Surf Rod and reel seat
Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: November 26, 2014 05:46AM

G'Day Scott I think you will have a bit of trouble finding these .Possibly the only place is if someone has some very old stock . I had a Butterworth blank with the same setup about 35 - 40 years ago that should give you an idea of your chances of finding some .My suggestion is to use a modern guide train & probably the reels seat could also be a bit difficult also .Using the modern parts will make the rod more user friendly.
Where are you located if you put your town/ suburb in your signature it could help if you need some help in the future you may find there is a rod builder close by to your house .

If I can be of any assistance just post me a message

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: November 26, 2014 04:48PM

I've just had another thought Scott .If you haven't already you could try Frogleys they are the distributors for Fuji in OZ & they have held that for as long as I can remember .They may have some old stock stuck in a box somewhere .

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Date: November 26, 2014 04:55PM

Hi Baz, Thanks will try Frogleys in the off chance that they have something, I think your about right with the age of the rod and may have to resign myself to just restoring it, but thought I would ask first.

Cheers

Scott

Posted by: Glenn Crook (8.27.179.---)
Date: November 26, 2014 08:30PM

Scott,
Is there a manufacturer's name on the rod? The guides sound like the Fuji that Jarvis Walker and Len Butterworth used. Is the butt guide a folding type?. I am in Melbourne and occasionally buy s/hand rods just for the guides. I do not have the sizes you require but will keep my eyes open for something.

Glenn

Date: November 27, 2014 04:01AM

Hi Glenn,

The rod had a Shakespeare Premium sticker on it, the guides are non folding, I called Frogleys and they had possible a few but not the full set, so I might be left with using more modern components and going that direction with it, will look at repainting the blank back to the original honey colour.

Thanks

Scott

SG Custom Rods
Australia

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 27, 2014 11:16AM

Is this what you mean guides
[www.americantackle.us]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Rod Churchward (---.lns20.bne7.internode.on.net)
Date: November 28, 2014 05:08PM

Hi Scott,
I'm with Baz on the guides, but the reel seat, I believe are still gettable, at least as recently as eighteen months to two years ago. I got one from Mudhole, if my aging memory serves me correct. The new type are not as heavy as the old version, not surprising. I had a couple that I managed to remove in one piece, but, after hanging on to them for years, gave to my boy for scrap, isn't it always the case. If anyone can find them Baz will, he has helped me many times and loves helping out. Kind regards, Rod.
Mboro. Qld.

Posted by: Rod Churchward (---.lns20.bne7.internode.on.net)
Date: November 28, 2014 05:24PM

Hi Scott,
I have a new 20mm and a preloved 19mm reel seats.
Kind regards, Rod.
Mboro Qld.

Posted by: Ryan McBride (---.wavecable.com)
Date: December 01, 2014 12:13PM

try this: www.alpsforecast.com

R. McBride

Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Date: December 01, 2014 11:56PM

Thanks everyone, I think it will be more modern components I will have to use, appreciate the help and ideas.

SG Custom Rods
Australia

Posted by: Tim Allard (203.26.73.---)
Date: December 11, 2014 09:50PM

Scott

Try this! Not quite the same but they might do.

[www.guidesnblanks.com]

Tim

Date: December 11, 2014 09:50PM

Scott

Try this! Not quite the same but they might do.

[www.guidesnblanks.com]

Tim

Date: December 11, 2014 09:57PM

Scott

Sorry double post.

They still make guides similar to the ones I think you want:

[www.chinafishingrods.com]

As to how you get them I don't know.

Tim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster