I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Heat Lamp for curing epoxy/varnish
Posted by: philip hardy (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: November 25, 2014 04:30PM

Just been have real problems with getting Roddancer rod varnish to go off. (6 hours before touch dry).
Thinking about using a heat lamp to help things along, has anyone else tried using lamps?
Cheers,
Phil.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Heat Lamp for curing epoxy/varnish
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 25, 2014 06:02PM

I use a couple of 100 watt lamps during the cold wither months about 10 inches above the rod.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.atlanticbb.net)
Date: November 25, 2014 06:45PM

Phillip
I do almost the same thing as Randolph. I have 2 magnifier swing arm lights (60w bulbs) that I position about 6" over each wrap for 3-5 minutes at a time while rotating the rod slowly. Then I move each light to the next wrap etc., and back around to the first set and repeat several times. This helps to gently warm the finish which smooths it out and helps get rid of any bubbles popping up. This will also help to speed up the curing process a little.
Rog

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 25, 2014 07:07PM

Phillip.
The only warning that you need with heat lamps and heat in general, is NOT to overdo it.

If you use heat lamps that are too close or used for too long, you can actually fry the finish rather than curing it.

Better to use lower wattage bulbs further away, until you are 100% certain of the best plan.

Certainly, a well designed rod drying cabinet is a great aid to help this issue. You can have even gentle heat to take care of your issues. Never hurts to keep a thermometer inside the cabinet to monitor the temperature as well.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 26, 2014 01:25PM

Philip,

I have 4 @ 100 watt light bulbs in my drying cabinet which are wired to a dimmer switch for adjusting the heat in the cabinet. They work great.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: November 27, 2014 10:04AM

Depending on how many rods you build you might consider using UV sensitive epoxy. It's clear, strong, hard, never yellows and sets hard in less than a minute by simply pointing a $10 UV flashlight at it - no matter how hot or cold the environment. The light-sensitive epoxy is pricey but there's no mixing, no bubbles, and no time for dust or dirt to get on the finish - and no building heating boxes and no risk of unattended fires. And you can take your rod fishing as soon as you finish it.

Posted by: Steve Hartzell (---.asbnva.dhcp.suddenlink.net)
Date: November 27, 2014 11:36AM

Phil,

Do you have some brand names you can recommend for the UV sensitive epoxy?

Steve Hartzell
Lake Conroe - Willis, Texas

Date: November 27, 2014 12:13PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2014 12:17PM by Phil Ewanicki.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2014 12:19PM by Phil Ewanicki.

Steve: I have used Solarez and a few others. I'm not sure how much the chemical composition varies among brands. UV sensitive epoxy comes in different viscosities: thin, medium, and thick. The best viscosity to use depends upon the RPM rate of your dryer, the ambient temperature to some extent, and the brightness of your UV flashlight, which will decrease abruptly when your batteries tire. A test run applying and illuminating an epoxy-coated wrapping on a scrap piece of broken blank might save a lot of grief, and it will only take a minute.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster