I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Picture of your work bench
Posted by: Doug Schreiber (---.lightspeed.oshkwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 21, 2014 03:55PM

I am building a new work bench just for rod building.

Before I had to split space with lure and fly tying.

Just curious about how others set up.

I will still be using the other area for mixing epoxies and that.

All cutting and shaping will be done outside.

The new bench area will be strictly rod wrapping and drying.

Looking especially how other set-up the rod dryer if separate from the wrapper.

Thanks, Doug

See you on the water, Doug
Captain Paddlefoot

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Picture of your work bench
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 21, 2014 04:26PM

Check the photo page under Equipment and tools

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 21, 2014 05:18PM

Go the photo page and do a search under my name for a self contained, all-in-one, mobile rod building "station."

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 21, 2014 07:29PM

This is Before Clutter
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 21, 2014 09:50PM

Doug,
Really simple. I just use an inexpensive 10 foot long kitchen counter top available from any of the home building supply houses.

This is long enough so that I can stay in one spot and roll the rod by my. I put rollers on the bottom of my power rod wrapper and set it on the bench.

I stay in one spot with my tools and lights, and then just roll the rod by my work station as I work. A couple of different pictures of the wrapper bed. Since it rolls so easily, I also added brakes to the wrapper bed, so that when it is at a spot where I want to wrap, I set the brakes and it stays at that spot until I move on to the next guide to be wrapped.

The counter top is just laying on top of a couple of short folding tables. So, everything can be taken down and leave the room unchanged if desired.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Buy the two short folding tables. Buy the 10 foot counter top. Unfold and set up the tables. Lay the counter top on top of the tables and the bench build is complete for very little money and 0 trouble.

By the way, I personally do NOT want any shelves or drawers under the bench. I want the entire full length of the bench to be wide open, so that if I do work at one end, the other, or in the middle, I can sit nicely and still have my legs under the bench.

Depending on what I am doing, I might be doing three different things on the bench, in addition to wrapping a rod.

Be safe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2014 09:52PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Doug Schreiber (---.lightspeed.oshkwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 23, 2014 12:09AM

I am basically doing exactly that.

I guess I am more curious about tool holders and guide storage and trying to keep mine uncluddered too.

Just the counter top and legs.

Mounting is to the wall and making it level.

No more moving it to tie jigs and stuff.

No more using it to turn handles anymore either.

Will post when done.

Thanks, Doug

See you on the water, Doug
Captain Paddlefoot

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 23, 2014 11:06AM

Doug,
For guides and thread, I use Plano tackle boxes. I get them all the same 3600 size and each will hold a nice selection. I separate the thread by size, then by color. I separate the guides by type.
With the dividers that come in the tackle plastic boxes, you can get just the right size compartment for what you are storing.

Then, I have a rubber maid box that holds about a dozen of these boxes. If I need more, then I get another dozen boxes and a rubber maid box. It works very well for me and keeps everything clean and organized.

I keep all of the tools in another smaller plastic box about the size of a cake pan. That keeps all of the clutter in one place and makes it easy to pick up and clean when needed on a daily basis.

By the way, everything in the building room is white. White walls, white ceiling, white floors and white work bench. A bit tougher to keep clean, but much much brighter and easy to see tiny items that may get dropped on the floor.

That is why the floor gets vacuumed every time that a daily building session is complete. Always like to start with a clean floor, and a clean bench. Much easier to find things and also everything is always organized and right where you want things to be.

Take care

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: November 23, 2014 10:51PM

Thank you Roger for your last post .. I also like a clean and organized work area .. I don't like to waste all my time hunting and looking for things . I have a place for everything and everything in it's place . I don't need extra stress in my life .. For most of the every day tools , that I use . I have three magnetic bars ,on the back of my work station wall , at hands reach .. I also use the plano boxes for my guides and tip tops . Although for my thread I use thread boxes from Joann's sewing center . These boxes hold 40 spools of threat . I also separate mine by size and color ,and they are stored on a shelf ,in an air tight closet ,where there is no dust moving around .. I do not do any sanding ,or turning in my work area .. That's all done out side with a Grizzle Hobby lathe .. I can either stand ,or sit at my work station ,as my legs cramp up if I sit to long .. Regards : Don @ Hobby Rods <*{{{{{{{ <<

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster