I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

10' 3wt or 4wt blanks?
Posted by: Bryan Yates (---.townes.net)
Date: November 18, 2014 04:30PM

Seems to be a lot of 10' light line rods on the market, but not many blanks.
Any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 10' 3wt or 4wt blanks?
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 18, 2014 04:41PM

Check out Anglers Roost to your left in the sponsors column. They may have exactly what you are looking for. I bought a couple of blanks from them and was very happy with the quality for the price.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 18, 2014 05:50PM

Mudhole has the MHX 10' 4wt

Posted by: John E Powell (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: November 18, 2014 10:56PM

Sage has 3 and 4wt (also a 2)
Orvis has 4wt
Thomas and Thomas has 4wt
CTS 3 and 4wt (also a 2)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2014 11:07PM by John E Powell.

Posted by: william jensen (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: November 19, 2014 12:59AM

I built a 10' 4wt Quickline and love it. Got it through Utmost Enterprises, which is one of the sponsors in the left column.

Posted by: Michal Rozycki (193.201.167.---)
Date: November 19, 2014 01:41AM

I recently the PacBay Quickline 4wt blank into a Polish/Czech/French/whatever nymphing rod. Admittedly I did not compare it with other blanks/rods, but I really think I have no need to do it. Mind you, the blank makes a great short nymphing rod, but as regards making longer casts I would look elsewhere.
Below is a Google translation of a Czech review of a rod built on this blank. The English language quality is somewhat lacking ;-), however I think it is clear enough. Personally I agree with the review conclusions.

Review:

In late August of last year I was approached by Mr. Batko from the company HBFLY asking for status and test rod, the basis would be blank Pacific Bay QUICKLINE series, bearing the Czech Nymph using components exclusively by Pacific Bay.

I agreed, because this type of rod itself interested me and I wanted to expand my horizons stav??ské because Blanco Pacific Bay I still did not build even further products using absolute minimum.

Blank QUICKLINE Czech Nymph is 10 feet long, 4 piece and is designed for plug 'number' 4. Blank was straight, the spine was easy to find. Its surface treatment I bit reservation, this is a minor "inaccuracies" in the paint, but are seen only when a detail view.

The site I chose cork handle RHW7CS-250, rather average quality, nice saddle AR4C-T, which pleasantly surprised me, single foot hard chrome guides, then guidance from a number of Pacific Bay Minima, end loop again from the standard diameter hard chrome and titanium trim ring over handle.

Next, I used a thread lametky, paint and glue from already several times mentioned brands. With all the products I was quite satisfied and I worked well with them. I had just one more fundamental criticism, sticker identifying parameters of the future rod is indeed well resolved, but there is only one chance pinsetter to its successful and most positionally correct gluing. Very intercede for supplying stickers least two pieces.

The finished rod I together with my friends tried in catching on the river Vltava 8A and 28, that in our conditions on big trout rivers.

The rod itself has more action with less sensitive tip diameter of the blank at the bottom of the rod suggests considerable reserve power, therefore we need not worry about the bigger fish. The weight of the rod is reasonable, with reels Lamson Radius size 2.0 and Shimano Biocraft 3/4 was also fairly well balanced.

I focused mainly on the so-called nymphing. French style, adapted just for bigger water, ie heavier flies and tippet strength of at least about 0.16. For simplicity, the flies were established mainly on the hooks no. 10-14, tungsten header size ranged from 4.0 after 2.8 mm, the depth and strength of the current in prochytávaném site. This rod heavier flies offered very good throws were far and reasonably accurate.

Keeping flies was due to the length of 10 feet comfortable and rod sufficiently sensitive to the contacts flies to the floor and possibly with rybou?. Thanks stronger fishing line is not to be feared even more robust jams that go with rod performed very easily. Subsequent fighting took place comfortably, the rod can fairly easily cope with the catches in the range of 20-63 cm. These were mainly brown trout (most. 40 cm), nice rainbows 45 cm and the largest fish caught was a fighting barbel, stuck in a strong current. When the control is tested the above power reserve of the blank and it turned out that there are considerable.

Apart from French style nymphing was marginally tested and classic Czech style, that technique line koukající of exp. Typical rolling casts a shorter distance due to the longer action were comfortable, keeping flies well.

To Autumn, however, inherently includes fine catching on dry flies imitate the developmental stages of mayflies. Size flies in this assay was 16-18, 0.11 mm fluorocarbon tippet, Vintage DT line Supra 3M. Must honestly say that this discipline rod not particularly excel, accurate presentation of flies on the shorter distance was difficult due to its length, improved to feast on fish at collecting at distances from 10 meters above. Reasonable notch smaller flies on fine BL hook was quite a challenge, most fish almost immediately cut a couple of them were picking and finally several subdued. Of these, it is worth mentioning perhaps grayling length + - 35 cm.

When taking on the "ephemera" is also avoided relatively frequent false throws, necessary to dry flies in front of her new position a water surface. This activity was not comfortable twice, the length of the rod and its longer action, with the weight distributed over a greater length of the blank, it was a lengthy and somewhat tedious.

Fortunately for us nymph anglers, intense collection jepek not very frequent. Rod for this purpose can be used, it is of course also a certain degree of habit and adaptation to intrinsic properties, resulting not only from the very structure of the blank, but its relatively low price.

Furthermore, the rod and tested at streamer fishing with sinking and intermediate line corresponding AFTMA. With an overview managed both light and heavier trout streamers to hook size No. 6 and probably would not be a problem even with streamers of something bigger.

The last test was a momentary catching the legendary "big dry". CDC caddis size 10 flew quite accurately to a more distant and even one confused brownies, which in November this unusual fly-grabbing, was stuck with an overview and subdued. A critical part of the plan rolls are fortunately this technique much needed.

Finally, may I say that this is primarily a nymph rod suitable for larger water, with a possible engagement heavier fish, but which is also usable for other fly fishing techniques.

Posted by: Bryan Yates (---.townes.net)
Date: November 19, 2014 06:19PM

thanks for all the suggestions, and Michal, thanks for the in-depth report.
I would prefer to build with blanks from manufacturers I have prior experience with, and will check out John P's suggestions.
One question: how easy is it to get CTS blanks? Any issues or major delays getting them into the states?
thanks.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 20, 2014 07:37AM

Bryan,
I am the U.S. Distributer for CTS Blanks.
There have been delays of up to 4 months in getting delivery in the past.
I am working on a bulk order now where I absorb the shipping costs from New Zealand to the U.S. You will pay actual FedEx shipping from me to you.

I am told by the factory that I will have these blanks by late Dec2014.

Email me ([email protected]) If I can be of assistance.

In the meantime go to: [ctsfishing.com] and choose appropriate actions.
Regards
Herb

Posted by: jon tobey (---.customer.broadstripe.net)
Date: February 15, 2015 12:54AM

Bryan, your email is hidden. If you email me I have some blanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster