I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

3 Jaw chuck for Rikon
Posted by: mick vickers (---.a1a.zs.ncren.net)
Date: November 18, 2014 02:43PM

I'm looking for a 3 jaw chuck for my Rikon 70-100 lathe. Grizzly was the only one I could find to fit (1"x8TPI), looked online and they're not in stock so I called and they won't get any until January. I'm pretty sure I saw Rikons at the ICRBE so was hoping someone here can help me out. Can anyone give me other options?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 3 Jaw chuck for Rikon
Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.151.---)
Date: November 18, 2014 02:51PM

Mick, I bought a 3 jawed chuck from Grizzly when I bought my Rikon. I don't use it as much as I thought I would. send me a PM. we can maybe work something out.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: November 18, 2014 03:14PM

Mick,

Meaningful recommendations on an appropriate chuck, and appropriate chuck jaws (there are generally options available) would depend on what rodbuilding tasks you are trying to accomplish with your lathe. Depending on what you want to do, you might be better off buying a bare chuck without jaws and selecting optional jaws that may better serve your needs. For instance, if you want to bore foam, a set of tower jaws might be more appropriate than standard jaws. If you just want to turn using a mandrel, you might be just as well served with a simple keyless drill chuck at considerable savings instead of a lathe chuck.

Can you help us give you a good recommendation by letting us know what you want to do with it, how often you plan to use it, and what your budget is?

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 18, 2014 04:46PM

Try Penn State Industries. That's where I got both my 3 & 4 jaws.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 18, 2014 09:58PM

[www.grizzly.com]

[www.grizzly.com]

Several 1X8 backed chucks on the big @#$%& site as well.

Take care

Posted by: mick vickers (---.a1a.zs.ncren.net)
Date: November 20, 2014 02:43PM

thanks for the replies gents!! been away for a few days and I have plenty of options now! I will be making (boring and turning) EVA grips.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 20, 2014 05:04PM

Mike,
By the way, I have found that larger heavier more industrial chucks do a better job than smaller lighter chucks. So, if you have the head stock to handle the size and weight of the larger chuck, you might give one a try.

[littlemachineshop.com]

[littlemachineshop.com]

To use this chuck, you would need to have a machine shop machine the adapter to perfectly match the headstock on your lathe for true running on your lathe.

--------------
When I purchased my new lathe, I had two larger chucks that needed bolt on adapter plates for the back of each chuck. I ended up buying two new adapter plates which fit the thread size on my head stock. Then, I remove the head stock shaft from my lathe and gave it along with the adapter plates to a nearby machine shop. The folks screwed on the adapter plate to the head stock shaft from my lathe. Then, they chucked the head stock shaft into the chuck on their big lathe. Finally, they machined the back plate to be perfectly flat and sized it perfectly to match up to the back of the larger chuck. This was repeated for the other backplate adapter for the other chuck. Then, each backplate was attached to the appropriate chuck.

Now, depending on my needs, I screw on the chuck that is needed for a given task and the chuck runs with essentially 0 runout.

Be safe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2014 05:09PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Scott A Randall (---.ok.ok.cox.net)
Date: November 21, 2014 08:46AM

The tech stool nova G3 is an excellent chuck and if u buy it from woodcrafters then u get the 8 tpi for free it's in the catalog but they will give u that price in the store. Next week everyone has sales so u will get the best deals of the year

Posted by: Scott A Randall (---.ok.ok.cox.net)
Date: November 21, 2014 08:49AM

Sorry stupid spell check its teknatool nova G3 and they make many attachments as well

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: November 21, 2014 01:01PM

Mick,

Thanks for clarifying your desired use; that helps me a lot.

I’m going to make my recommendations with the assumption that you need to bore 2” square EVA stock or “glueups” so that you can mount it on a mandrel and turn it for shaping purposes.

There are two ways to approach boring the hole on a lathe. Either you turn the EVA in the headstock and feed a bit into the EVA with a tailstock mounted drill, or you’re going to turn the bit in the headstock and use some kind of sliding homemade jig to position and feed the EVA into the turning bit. Either will work, but the latter will require a very sturdy, well designed jig.

To turn square EVA in a chuck you need a 4-jaw chuck, not a 3-jaw chuck. When comparing various 4 jaw chucks, it would be prudent to select a chuck that has optional profiled tower jaws with serrations to hold the EVA firmly. Standard jaws designed for wood turning have a small contact area and do not grab ahold of EVA well. This can pose problems when you try to pull the drill bit back out of the hole as it will want to dismount the EVA from the chuck. Tower jaws have taller jaw contact surfaces and more securely hold onto the EVA significantly lessening the chances of this happening. So instead of looking for a chuck, I recommend you find a good set of tower jaws and then buy the chuck that matches those jaws. Jaws that are profiled have flat areas and are not completely circular. The flat area along the edge of each jaw further increases the holding power on EVA.

Here’s an example of some excellent #2 profiled tower jaws for turning EVA: [www.oneway.ca] These are Oneway part #3658. When paired with either of these Oneway chucks: [www.oneway.ca] (note those are not the tower jaws in the phote) or the Oneway Talon chuck [www.oneway.ca] the #2 profiled talon jaws offer exterior holding size range of 1 1/2” – 2 5/8” which is ideal for 2” square EVA.

Note that it’s important to confirm a set of jaws capacity on a particular chuck, for example a set of #2 profiled tower jaws for Oneway’s larger Stronghold chuck will have a minimum exterior holding range of 2” – 3 3/8” which is too large leaving no capacity to compress the 2” EVA slightly when mounting.

Oneway are certainly premium chucks and you can find less expensive examples, these are the chucks I am familiar with. It should be noted that with Oneway (and possibly other mfgs), you can buy a bare chuck without the standard jaws and purchase the tower jaws separately for a similar cost to the complete Oneway or Talon chuck; you don’t have to purchase two sets of jaws and never use the standard ones. If you decide to buy from another company, just follow the idea of locating the right jaws first and then match up the best chuck with the jaws to give you the correct exterior capacity, not the other way around. You don’t want to buy a chuck and then find out you can’t get jaws for it.

For turning on a mandrel, you have some options. It’s likely your headstock has the ability to accept a tapered shaft in addition to your 1x8 thread. If it does accept a taper it’s probably a #2 Morse taper, this will be listed in your machines specifications section in your owner’s manual. Look in the area describing your headstock specifications.

If your machine has a taper shaft capability the easiest solution would be to purchase an inexpensive shaft and large capacity keyless drill chuck combo. For about $40 shipped you can get something like this: NOTE: this site won’t allow me to link an E b a y site (I can’t even write it normally) so copy and paste this into google search, it’s the first thing that comes up for me: 3/16-3/4" 3JT PRO-SERIES KEYLESS DRILL CHUCK & JT3-2MT TANGED TANG ARBOR MT2

You can mount anything from 3/16-3/4 inch mandrels in this. Pair these with mandrels that have center drilled ends and your tailstock live center and you could turn just about any grip imaginable.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster