I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

dryer motor
Posted by: Arthur Long (207.235.39.---)
Date: November 13, 2014 06:21PM

I'm looking for a dryer motor that runs anywhere between 40-60 rpm. All suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Spend some, save some, give some away!!! :-)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: dryer motor
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 13, 2014 07:02PM

[www.mudhole.com]

or

[www.batteryspace.com]

with
[www.batteryspace.com]

To use the DC motor, simply connect the 12 volt plug in supply to the motor and plug it into the wall outlet.

Be safe

Posted by: Bill Falconer (---.dhcp.unas.al.charter.com)
Date: November 13, 2014 09:17PM

I am not very handy with electronics, but as Roger suggests you can also put one together - or have someone put one together for you. Roger actually put one together for me specifically incorporating the features I needed. I was able to specify RPM, give it variable dial speed control, and make it reversible. Worth considering if you are looking for something very specific beyond just RPMs.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: November 14, 2014 08:27AM

Arthur,

Are you looking for just a motor to power a dryer or are you looking for a motor to use for both applying finish and then drying? Forty to sixty rpm seems unnecessarily fast for just drying and you could use a quicker motor, up to 200 rpm, with a variable speed controller to slow it down to your perfect speed. Pair that with a slip clutch for finish application and you'd have a really nice setup. When done applying finish you could adjust the speed down to ten-fifteen rpm for drying.

Posted by: Arthur Long (207.235.39.---)
Date: November 14, 2014 11:59AM

John,
I currently use my Alps pw to do just that. It would be nice to find a 200 rpm finishing motor with an adjustable rheostat to do just what you're recommending.

Posted by: Bill Falconer (207.203.39.---)
Date: November 14, 2014 12:16PM

That's exactly what I had Roger build for me and it is AWESOME. I apply at 200 RPM and dry at about 9 RPM. And you don't have to switch from one machine to another to dry, either.

If you have never applied finish under power it is worth experimenting with. A lot of things get easier at high speed.

Posted by: Adam Curtis (---.static-ip.telepacific.net)
Date: November 14, 2014 12:28PM

Arthur, told a guy at Mudhole that when they released their new CRB dryers, which I currently use and are great but boy would what you described be the ticket. I figured out quick some of the best finishers are doing it at high speeds. I did tests on my lathe and knew quick I needed to apply at speed. Only problem is whats out there seams like overkill. I dont want to wrap on this and pay for aluminum base tracks that arent needed. A beefed up CRB dryer with a rheostat would make me a super happy dude.

Maybe theres a market for something like this? Hmmmm.

Posted by: Bill Falconer (207.203.39.---)
Date: November 14, 2014 12:35PM

While you are it, add the option of a light duty, hand-tightening jacobs chuck OR the usual three jaw or dryer chuck. What works great for rod butt may not do the trick with carbon fiber grips (also best finished at speed IMHO) being turned on a 3/8" mandrel 18" long. Better yet, make them interchangeable.

Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-70-195-196.myvzw.com)
Date: November 14, 2014 01:16PM

Arthur

Check out our USA made gear motors. Built to last. We have some that have been running nonstop for years now. Available in 6, 18, and 40 RPM. Click the link below and scroll down halfway. Comes with our self adjusting chuck and can be equipped with our slip clutch.

[www.flexcoat.com]

Check out the video on the self adjusting chuck and the slip clutch at the link below.

[www.flexcoat.com]

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Date: November 14, 2014 04:59PM

Arthur,
You don't need a wrapper bed or anything especially fancy to apply finish to a rod.

All that you need is a source to spin the rod and at least one rod rest to support the rod for both finish application and drying.

In the following picture, I have a single rod dryer being driven by a variable speed motor with a cup style neoprene rod butt chuck.
Then a single rod rest down the rod to support it while applying finish and drying.

In the background is a 12 rod drum dryer for drying a dozen rods at a time.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

I have a dial to set the speed for the dryer and also a simply on/off foot pedal to start or stop the rod from turning, while applying finish.

Be safe

Date: November 14, 2014 05:28PM

By the way, if you are worried about the drying /finish applying motor or rod rest moving, just use a C clamp over the stand and bench or table top to hold the items securely.

Date: November 14, 2014 05:28PM

By the way, if you are worried about the drying /finish applying motor or rod rest moving, just use a C clamp over the stand and bench or table top to hold the items securely.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster