I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Handle Assembly Length
Posted by: Matt Marasco (---.hlrn.qwest.net)
Date: November 11, 2014 02:40PM

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on the board, although I've been soaking up all of the great information you all have to offer for a few months now. I'm fairly new to rod building, with 4 or 5 rods to my credit (mostly medium-sized bass rods). My next project is a 7"6" MH inshore rod that I'm building as a gift for a family member. I was wondering what an appropriate total length would be for handle assembly, without having the person test it (it's a surprise). He is of average size, and will mostly be fishing from a boat. I've tried using the search feature on the board, but I can't seem to find anything on the topic. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Matt

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Handle Assembly Length
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 11, 2014 04:50PM

Matt,
For all of the 7'6" rods that I make, I use either 10 or 11 inch rear grip. Then the reel seat, and depending on the reel setup any where from no fore grip to one that is about 4 inches long.

Normally, with most rods, this gives nice balance to the rod and is still of a length that does not get in the way of the fisherman. But, if you happen to catch a bigger fish, there is enough length in the rear grip to use it as a lever.

On a rod of this length, I would never go less than 10 inches for the rear grip.

Be safe

Date: November 11, 2014 07:08PM

Thanks, Roger! I'll give the 10" rear grip a shot and see how it feels.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 12, 2014 11:50AM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Matt,
> For all of the 7'6" rods that I make, I use either
> 10 or 11 inch rear grip. Then the reel seat, and
> depending on the reel setup any where from no fore
> grip to one that is about 4 inches long.
>
> Normally, with most rods, this gives nice balance
> to the rod and is still of a length that does not
> get in the way of the fisherman. But, if you
> happen to catch a bigger fish, there is enough
> length in the rear grip to use it as a lever.
>
> On a rod of this length, I would never go less
> than 10 inches for the rear grip.
>
> Be safe

Matt,

I second what Roger recommends!

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2014 11:50AM by Donald R Campbell.

Posted by: Kevin Kelly (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: November 19, 2014 10:41PM

Spinning rod or casting? The first rod I built was a 6'6" H live bait casting rod. I made the rear grip 10". I ended up wishing I had made it a little longer. Because I cast the rod with both hands below the reel, it would feel better if my hands could be farther apart. It worked fine, and easy to maneuver on my kayak (that's the reason for the short rear grip). My next rid like it will have a longer rear grip.

Date: November 21, 2014 02:30PM

Spinning. I went with a 10" rear grip and it worked out great. Thanks for the responses everyone!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster