I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

alignment
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: November 09, 2014 08:48PM

When most spin reels are mounted on rods the central axis of the reel spool points away from the center of the stripping guide, adding to the deflection of the line caused by gravity. A few reel makers have tilted their spin reel mounting pillars slightly upward to improve line flow toward the stripping guide, but not many. Do any locking reel seats tilt the axis of the spinning reel upward to line up with the center of the stripping guide? Better yet, are any reel seats adjustable so the caster can improve the flow of line from the reel spool to the first guide?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: alignment
Posted by: Gary Weber (---.241.113.253.4wbi.net)
Date: November 09, 2014 09:20PM

Hi,
If you use a Tennessee type handle (one that you taped the reel on), you could bevel the underside towards the angle that you like.
Gary

Posted by: steve george (---.lightspeed.dybhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 10, 2014 10:43AM

While I have not taken the time to measure, the new Fuji TVS and the old NPS may have some upward tilt built in.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.wnyric.org)
Date: November 10, 2014 11:27AM

Have you considered using a standard seat but offsetting the bushings under the seat to achieve the angle you're looking for?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 10, 2014 03:28PM

Where the spool points has no real effect on where the line goes. The lines isn't being shot off the spool as a bullet from a rifle barrel. It's being pulled from something that plays little to no role. Aiming the reel up more isn't going to have any practical effect on casting.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 10, 2014 05:01PM

But

When the spool shaft is being made to be Parallel to the blank and having it aim to the tip top of say a 6 - 7 foot rod And longer rods as the line comes off the spool face it causes the line to ROLL on the bottom of the ring ( in fishing position ) if all being said about the LINE PATH of the shaft of the spool - being changed because the spools are Parallel now

What are we going backwards to the Cone Of Flight ??
I always thought the line should Roll Around the ring Not roll over the bottom of the ring
( in fishing position )
So do we set the spool and shaft as too the article in the library Or does that go out the window cause reels are made differently

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2014 05:06PM by bill boettcher.

Date: November 11, 2014 06:33PM

I never considered the importance of the alinement of loops of line coming to the stripping guide until I saw a new type of stripping guide dedicated to correcting the size and misalignment of loops. I figured if the loops coming off the spinning reel spool have to travel in an upward direction to reach the stripping guide the lower edge of the reel spool would create more friction on the outgoing line as it makes an unnecessarily acute angle to reach the straight path of the guide train. Perhaps the size and direction of loops coming off the reel spool are inconsequential.

Date: November 12, 2014 06:47AM

The line billows out away from the spool as it's coming off the spool.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.36.233.---)
Date: November 12, 2014 05:05PM

We are really talking two issues here, I believe. One is: What direction is the centerline of the spool facing? Upward? Downward? Parallel to the blank? This is the one that Tom says has no effect on performance. The second is: Where is the centerline of the spool located in space? This is the one that in past years got so much attention, running the line straight to the running guides off the tip of the spool shaft on a 27X setup. Was it supposed to go through the center of the reduction guides or run along the bottom edges of the reduction guides? It appears to me that the newer taller guides are designed based on the fact that this dimension is important. If you were to visualize having a rod set up with Y guides (line along the lower edges of the rings), then sub KLH's for the Y's, the line will now go from the centerline of the shaft about through the center of the rings and not along their lower edges.

In experimenting with the centerline vs edge designs (with Y guides) I put auto polish on a rings and moved them around. In a couple casts the wax being polished off would tell me how the line was going through the guides. I never saw any difference in polish no matter which alignment was used. The guides were polished symmetrically, evenly, no bias in any direction. I also never saw any difference in casting or retrieving performance.

As I've said before, I believe the biggest thing we can do for casting performance is to use 10 pound nanofil or 10 pound high quality braid. The other stuff is minor in comparison.

Date: November 13, 2014 09:11AM

Bottom - the line can't and won't run through the middle of any guide. If it did, guides wouldn't be necessary.

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: November 13, 2014 03:42PM

Michael Danek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We are really talking two issues here, I believe.
> One is: What direction is the centerline of the
> spool facing? Upward? Downward? Parallel to the
> blank? This is the one that Tom says has no
> effect on performance. The second is: Where is
> the centerline of the spool located in space?
> This is the one that in past years got so much
> attention, running the line straight to the
> running guides off the tip of the spool shaft on a
> 27X setup. Was it supposed to go through the
> center of the reduction guides or run along the
> bottom edges of the reduction guides? It appears
> to me that the newer taller guides are designed
> based on the fact that this dimension is
> important. If you were to visualize having a rod
> set up with Y guides (line along the lower edges
> of the rings), then sub KLH's for the Y's, the
> line will now go from the centerline of the shaft
> about through the center of the rings and not
> along their lower edges.
>
> In experimenting with the centerline vs edge
> designs (with Y guides) I put auto polish on a
> rings and moved them around. In a couple casts
> the wax being polished off would tell me how the
> line was going through the guides. I never saw
> any difference in polish no matter which alignment
> was used. The guides were polished symmetrically,
> evenly, no bias in any direction. I also never
> saw any difference in casting or retrieving
> performance.
>
> As I've said before, I believe the biggest thing
> we can do for casting performance is to use 10
> pound nanofil or 10 pound high quality braid. The
> other stuff is minor in comparison.

Michael,

I like how you think. You first have a theory and then you set out to prove or dis-prove it with actual testing and data.

Was this somehow in your prior background?

Date: November 13, 2014 04:14PM

Michael: I like the auto polish test. Did you try putting auto polish around the lip of the spin rod spool when the axis of the reel spool pointed at the middle of the stripping guide, and then repeat this experiment when the axis of the reel spool pointed 3 or 4 inches below the center of the stripping guide, like it does in many cases?

Date: November 14, 2014 12:33PM

I am convinced there is a point at which the misalignment of the axis of a spinning reel spool with the rod's stripping guide begins to shorten casts. I would bet on it, open stakes. I would like to know the angle where things start going bad and getting worse. Help.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: November 19, 2014 12:09PM

I tend to agree with Phil. The fact that the polish is rubbed off around the full perimeter of the ring is not surprising considering the line billowing off a 2"+ spool diameter and being choked down to a 30 or 20mm ring. I think most would assume these results without even running the experiment. The question being asked, I think, is how much do the forces being applied around the ring vary with different spool angles relative to the ring. These forces may be very small and have little effect as Tom believes but practical experience tells me that there is an effect.

For example, when respooling a spinning rod from a "refill" spool on the floor it becomes apparent very quickly that as you crank line from the refill spool to the reel you are much better off aligning the rod tip directly over the refill spool than off to one side. Any misalignment creates an instant binding effect and the refill spool will catch and roll across the floor. This line is being pulled from the spool just like a lure pulls line from a spinning reel. Alignment matters in this real world application.

Pull wrapping thread off the end of a spool of thread and you will instantly notice that it comes off smoothly when you pull it straight off and binds instantly if you change the angle of the spool relative to the direction of pull.

Grab a water hose that is coiled neatly on a hose hanger attached to the house and walk away at an angle...can't do it, you must walk straight away from the coil to get the hose to come off the spool easily.

I'm sure I could think of more examples but I have seen the effect in real world applications enough to know that it is there. Tom says it doesn't matter and I respectfully disagree. If Tom said It matters but has immeasurable effect on the dynamics of a spinning rod set up I could come closer to supporting his statement. As Phil states, there is a point where things go south. Most would agree with the "IF/THEN" equation...IF extreme misalignment creates poor line flow THEN any misalignment must create some effect on line flow.

Certainly debatable and an interesting subject where I sit. I suppose my point of view is this: You have a guide in your hand and you can put it ANYWHERE you want on the blank. The position, size and height of the stripper are critical in the ultimate performance of the rod. Why would you purposely choose to misalign it to the line coming from the spool???

Date: November 21, 2014 10:06AM

T

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2014 10:08AM by Phil Ewanicki.

Date: November 21, 2014 10:06AM

Thank you for your observations, Jim. I'm now more convinced that the manufacturers of spinning rod reel seats could do spin fishermen, rod builders and themselves a favor if they marketed a reel seat which could be adjusted to align the axis of the reel spool with the center of the stripping guide.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster