I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Very New to the Craft
Posted by: Steve Stansberry (206.246.9.---)
Date: November 09, 2014 08:12PM

Thanks to folks who make and contribute to this site, I am a probie to the craft but full of interest intimidation and desire to give this a go--I have been reading lots of the posts and mainly the ones regarding newbies. Looking for a common denominator in the comments and everyone has been really decent and encouraging. My desire and expectations are high but reality helps to keep this in check as my only experience to rodbuilding has been shadetree repair with epoxy and JB Weld( I can hear the cringing now), but it's time to get serious. I am considering an ATC power wrapper/dryer to get started basic thread kits and color preservers but cut my teeth and maybe find a niche is to find old rods of all types learn to wrap and finish make them look new and appealing with colors wrap patterns various grips etc etc i have most of the basic tools having done some amateur woodworking its just a few main items to fit this rodbuilding---OK guys and or gals I've chummed the water take a bite!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Very New to the Craft
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.102.204.190.res-cmts.t132.ptd.net)
Date: November 09, 2014 09:06PM

Steve go to Mark Newcombe's video series on you tube, (Rod Components Australia) very concise no bull, step by step instructions. Build 5 or 6 rods then decide if you need a power wrapper. There are always wrappers up for sale by people who realized they did'nt need one. Happy addiction! Lynn

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: November 10, 2014 07:59AM

Steve,
look at the Flex Coat 'how we do it' series of videos on you tube.
You may be better off using their methods and tools.
Cheaper and give a great result.

Something to think about and worth less than 2 c:
I have power wrapper with a fancy chuck: I wrap by hand on a wrapper i built that is hand powered.
Unless i want a long underwrap the power one just does not do as good a job.
Its ok for very minor sanding and shaping jobs.
Nice but epensive drying machine.

Why do i use a hand wrapper? because i can back it up when i make a mess while maintaining tension on the thread.
I have built in an extra thread tensioner in the frame.
Its a simple piece of an old 2 to 6# ugly stick tip about 18 inches long with a modified REC guide at the top.

It brings the thread from the back of the wrapper so i turn the blank towards me and can more quickly see any problems.
I can get up answer the door and just let things go and come back hours later and carry on where i left off.
Maybe renzettii can do that,i have not got one, but no power wrapper i saw under $1k can do what my hand one can: back up a foot of thread under original tension.
Mine cost $5 to make 2.50 of that was for the rec guide.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.atlanticbb.net)
Date: November 10, 2014 08:02PM

Steve

Starting out with fixing up some older rods is a great place to start your education! Also a low cost "rod kit" build (sponsors on the left) or two will help you get the kinks out early without risking an expensive mistake. I use a nome-made rod lathe/power wrapper that works out very well for me, and it didn't cost me but a few bucks and some "home brew engineering". Once you start building rods you won't be able to stop!

Rog

Date: November 10, 2014 08:38PM

Thanks for all the comments I will definitly consider all my options, the "home brew engineering" is great living here in the ozark hills I guess we call it "hillbilly engineering", and will do some tweaking and see what needs modified on the older rods my only challenge is fixing pistol grip in a chuck gonna have some "wobble " going on but I'm up for the challenge. My son has been encouraging me a great deal he pretty much has a gift of artistic talent so he is looking at this pretty close he has his own construction/remodel business been at it since he was 15 and now at the great age of 31 he would like to give his body a break (roofs,tile plumbing, framing ) this cold weather plays havoc with him he says he has the body of a 30 yr old but the knees of a 60 yr old, so I guess we are gonna give this thing a heck of a shot----will be humbled by any and all advice,Thanks Again.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 11, 2014 11:21AM

Try the Search Function up above Set to all dates List Pistol Grip There should be posts on making a bracket to hold the grip

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcpc.com)
Date: November 11, 2014 06:37PM

Steve,

I too live in the Ozarks.. I am at Truman Reservoir and will help in any way that I can. Give me a shout if I can help.

Tom

Date: November 11, 2014 07:35PM

Hey Lou thanks for the input could give some more detail on the tension device I kind of got lost in your description--appreciate everything!!

Date: November 11, 2014 07:41PM

Tom great to hear from a fellow mo---just trying to get my feet wet (no pun intended) getting excited to get this thing going but need to keep a tight hold looking over catalogs gets a guy busy with the order sheet but don't get me wrong some things just got to happen -- what I'm saying is don't get the cart in front of the mule and be patient---so much on this site you all have forgotten more than I'll ever know!!!!

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: November 12, 2014 10:51AM

The more electronic, digital, big motor, expensive equipment you buy, use and master to build your rod, the less truly 'hand crafted 'it becomes. I would highly recommend that you start out with a hand wrapper and basic, sufficient, simple tools. Jump in and get your feet wet, with some slow, live & learn, elbow grease, truly custom builds to the best of your newbie ability. Be sure to keep that first build as a proud reminder of 'your best' at the inception of this addicting hobby. Use it as a pleasant 'yard stick' to your subsequent improving builds. When profit and business take over, you leave the world of 'hobby builder' and go into one of time, money and competition with the big box stores that only give a rats ass on bottom line profit and can buy in bulk on a level an independent builder can't even imagine. It's like playing against the house in Vegas, you ain't gonna win! So, get started, slow, simple and hands on. Post some pics. Bet they'll be sweet!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2014 11:02AM by Steve Cox.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster