I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Catfish Rod blank
Posted by: Bill Hall (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 31, 2014 01:49PM

A friend has asked me to make a catfish Rod. He will be fishing the Senaca River near Syracuse NY so I can't image the catfish would be over 10 pounds. Any suggestion on a blank to use. I was thinking about getting a 7 foot MH fast MHX white blank.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Catfish Rod blank
Posted by: Jeremy Reed (---.swo.res.rr.com)
Date: October 31, 2014 04:48PM

What type of bait/technique is he using? Boat or bank fishing? Grip length? spinning or casting?

I've used AmTac bushido blanks on my last few catfish builds. The one that may be in your range, is ls76/12-25. It's a great blanks and will handle a variety of fish weights. I've built on the ls76/20-40 but it is for big blues and flatheads.

Also, if you looking lighter, look at the mb in the 12-20 and 12-25 range in whatever length you like.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2014 04:49PM by Jeremy Reed.

Date: October 31, 2014 06:09PM

Thanks for the input. That gives me some options to discuss with the buyer. I asked him if he wants a spinning rod or casting rod and am waiting for his answer.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 01, 2014 08:19AM

If the fish are more in the 8- 10 pound range you may want to consider the MB844- MHX in white. Or even the MB874 which is a great casting rod with lots of power, If he won't use the 7'3" cut 3 inches off the butt.

Tom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2014 08:21AM by Tom Wewerka.

Posted by: Jeremy Reed (---.swo.res.rr.com)
Date: November 06, 2014 08:44PM

Any update on what direction you're headed?

Date: November 07, 2014 05:30PM

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. It gave me some good choices since I didn't know the first thing about making a catfish rod. I think the MB844-W-MHX fits the bill for the size catfish he is likely to catch. I decided on the H rather then the MH since he may hook into a big carp where he will be fishing. Each year they have a 3 day carp contest in the Seneca River and catch some real monsters.
One of the reasons for selecting the white blank is because the dad who is buying it for his son as a surprise for Christmas said his son is color blind and only sees black and while and suggested we keep it simple, i.e. Black and white. Thanks again for the help. It is the first time I have ever use this forum.

Date: November 08, 2014 11:59AM

Good choice on the rod blank Bill. Thanks for your reply and if you can, put some pics up once you fisish it.

Tom

Date: December 19, 2014 11:36AM

Tom: I just finished the catfish rod and will try to post some pictures. It really turned out nice and the client can't wait to give it to his son for Christmas. I ended up using dark blue thread trimmed in bright orange. Being a graduate of Syracuse University I like the color combination.

Bill

Date: December 19, 2014 11:43AM

That's great Bill going to be looking forward to seeing the photos of it. Sounds like a great color combination too.

Merry Christmas,
Tom

Date: December 27, 2014 10:14AM

Tom:
I was able to upload two pictures of the catfish rod and they are in the guide thread section. The orange is actually much brighter than the pictures show. I couldn't believe how thrilled the client was. In fact his wife give me a huge plate of cookies for Christmas. She makes cookies as a hobby and they were fantastic. You never know some of the rewards you get making fishing rods.

Happy New Year,

Bill

Date: December 27, 2014 03:51PM

Hi Bill

This is great news. The white blank and those colors really jump !! Nice job on the wraps I can see why they were so happy. And getting cookies is always a nice reward for us rod guys.

Happy New Year too

Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster