I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fast curing 2-part epoxy finish?
Posted by: Chad Barlongo (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: October 30, 2014 05:45PM

Hello,

I'm putting together a rod and reel "first aid kit" for repairs in the field. When it comes to 2-part epoxy finish for guide wraps and such, why is there no fast-curing option, (aside from UV cured), that could be applied and used in minutes rather than days?

Seems like they make a 15-minute epoxy adhesive, but nothing of that sort for epoxy finishes? In the past I have used clear nail polish and a Devcon 5-minute product for emergency guide repairs. While they did the job, they looked out of place and were not as nice as a rod building-specific epoxy finish.

Is there a suitable product for repairs that would both look good and has a minimal curing time?
Any thoughts and/or experience on the matter is appreciated.

-chad

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fast curing 2-part epoxy finish?
Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 30, 2014 05:52PM

I watched a fellow at a local repair shop replace a guide while the customer was waiting. The repair man coated the thread with five minute epoxy, used a little heat to even it out, and the job was done. I have not tried that method myself but I wanted to show you that it can be done for a quick fix.

Date: October 30, 2014 06:14PM

Hello Ellis,

Thanks for your reply. I wonder how that product you saw being used held up after awhile? The 5-minute Devcon I tried looked ok at first, but over time it yellowed quite badly. My impression is that those 5-minute epoxies we see in hardware stores are formulated more for gluing things together and less for use as a protective top-coat, though I am nowhere near qualified to say for certain.

My search turned up some casting resins that are fast-cure, but I have no idea if they would be suitable for a rod guide repair. Just throwing things out there...Here is a link:

[www.tapplastics.com]

-Chad

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2014 06:24PM by Chad Barlongo.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 30, 2014 06:54PM

Any type of glue or finish that drys VERY fast will not hold up in the long run It will yellow and be brittle

You are doing repairs IN THE FIELD Quick stuff to get the rod back into use
If there was a finish that dried in 5 - 10 min All builders would be using it Instead of wating 4 - 6 hours for there finish to set And then harden the next day

After the day is done I would recommend taking the repair OFF and then doing it with quality thread and finish

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2014 06:57PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: October 30, 2014 06:56PM

G'Day Chad I purchased some 5 min casting epoxy for a project that I was working on.When the time came to use the epoxy I put the required amounts into a alum foil pie dish mixed it up & almost gave myself 3rd degree burns from the chemical reaction between the 2 parts .I'M just giving you a heads up as to the problems that can occur with really fast setting 2 part mixes

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 30, 2014 07:08PM

How long for a urethane based product to set up? Seems the real problem is one of how many coats would be needed. Won't look quite the same but probably the best option between fast and lasting aside from a UV cure epoxy.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: October 30, 2014 07:46PM

Hello,

Bill,
I agree with your statements.
A fix in the field is just that, and quality for me could be better achieved at home away from distraction.

Barry,
Thanks for the caution and sharing your experience. It reminds me of mixing surfboard resin when I was younger, could not hold onto the mixing cup for long because the heat was getting too intense.

Russell,
Definitely something to consider. It would look different, but at least a fast curing time and quality could be assured.

After researching a bit more It appears that staying with thread and clear nail polish for emergency fixes would be best. I had hoped that with the new developments in UV finish and quick-cure adhesives, the same could be said of a 2-part mix. But as Bill mentioned, if such a boon existed then rod crafters the world over would be using it.

-chad

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2014 07:47PM by Chad Barlongo.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: October 31, 2014 02:02AM

the 2 part epoxies if not mixed the correct way, you can get some smoke from it an it will have cracks in it , this I know don't ask why

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: October 31, 2014 08:46AM

personal repairs in the field: black D thread because i can see it( those over 60 know what i mean) and clear nail varnish.
Take it off when home and repair properly.
the UV cure stuff i have used like we use for lures/fly tying yellows too much and gets brittle too.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 31, 2014 09:29AM

There are some kits made for fly tying that contain quick set UV products that will cure in the sun in mere minutes. Also similar for wader repair. You might want to do a search for one of those.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: October 31, 2014 10:33AM

Look for Clear Cure Goo or Loon UV products. Try them - I did & found them "passable" for quick repairs - but not something I'd want to present to a customer.

Date: October 31, 2014 10:36AM

Here's an example: [www.fishwest.net]

Date: October 31, 2014 07:08PM

Hello,

Appreciate the suggestions and sharing of experience.
I will take a closer look at the products mentioned, especially that Clear Cure.
Have a great weekend all.

-chad

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 01, 2014 04:52PM

I can't say that I really understand the need for something that will set up so fast. If it is a guide wrap, just wrap it back on with thread so the guy can keep fishing, or electrical tape and tell him to come back for a correct repair of the problem.. In my opinion, fast equals a sloppy job that won't hold up, and he will be back knocking at your door again.

Date: November 01, 2014 07:40PM

Randy - ABSOLUTELY - which is why I said "not something I'd want to present to a customer" .. One bad aspect of 90+% of the UV cures is that it is either too soft with an oily finish or hard and brittle. Anyone who has tried removing UV cured thread wraps knows exactly what I mean - little glass-like shards popping off. Unless done with the proper UV material liquid and under the correct UV wavelength light it is a mess.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 02, 2014 02:46PM

Field repairs are just that, field repairs and while they will be quite functional, don't approach shop quality work.

A small kit that contain tip tops, tip top glue, a selection of guides, black thread and solvent based head cement or clear nail polish is a great kit to have in the field or on a trip for repairs. Don't expect those repairs to be of shop quality.

Terry

Posted by: jon tobey (---.customer.broadstripe.net)
Date: February 15, 2015 01:07AM

After a really horrific experience with epoxy that never dried, I switched to Urethane. One time I had a rod I built in a single sitting in my lathe. I put one coat of urethane on it. I went out for the afternoon to fish before I left for a trip, and broke my main rod. Came home grabbed the single-coated urethane rod and took it for the weekend. The biggest trout I have ever landed came from this rod, and even though I keep meaning to "finish" it, I never had added any more urethane to it. So if I had to take a kit into the field, that would be it. Fix it in the morning, use it in the afternoon, absolutely foolproof. It's really a shame that with the state of materials science we are still stuck with such difficult and time consuming products. It can only be because we accept it. If somebody came along with a better product, you can bet Flex Coat would double time to improve theirs.

Posted by: jon tobey (---.customer.broadstripe.net)
Date: February 15, 2015 01:07AM

After a really horrific experience with epoxy that never dried, I switched to Urethane. One time I had a rod I built in a single sitting in my lathe. I put one coat of urethane on it. I went out for the afternoon to fish before I left for a trip, and broke my main rod. Came home grabbed the single-coated urethane rod and took it for the weekend. The biggest trout I have ever landed came from this rod, and even though I keep meaning to "finish" it, I never had added any more urethane to it. So if I had to take a kit into the field, that would be it. Fix it in the morning, use it in the afternoon, absolutely foolproof. It's really a shame that with the state of materials science we are still stuck with such difficult and time consuming products. It can only be because we accept it. If somebody came along with a better product, you can bet Flex Coat would double time to improve theirs.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster