I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tip ring size ???
Posted by: RICHARD WILLIAM SCHMITZ (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 30, 2014 11:21AM

If I run micro 3 running guides and install a 5 size ring for the tip, good or bad ???? what does the size of the tip do ????

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tip ring size ???
Posted by: Bill Falconer (207.203.39.---)
Date: October 30, 2014 11:58AM

Hello Richard -

In my experience the set up you describe will fish fine. To me the only downside (besides adding a bit of weight out at the tip) is that it will look funny.

I have found that I want the tip top ring to be the same size or within a half size of the running guides or else it looks 'wrong'. To my eye a Fuji 4.5 ring top looks okay with Fuji size 4 running guides. But Fuji keeps the tip tops very low profile.

In some cases, due to the extra height of the tip top guide a tip top ring a half size smaller than your running guides can actually look 'right'. That may be hard to picture but if you saw it you would understand what I mean.

But I built several the way you describe back before any good micro tip tops were available and they work fine. Those usually had a size 6 tip top ring and size 4 running guides. They fish fine, but they look like a repair or an awkward 'Franken-Rod' to me. But that is my personal opinion. Tape the guides in place, glue the top on and see what you think.

Your other option is to actually wrap a size 3 running guide on the very terminal end of the rod to serve as a tip top. I am not crazy about this from a durability standpoint but you can do it and it does work. I hope this helps.

Bill

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 30, 2014 12:00PM

It will work just fine. You can try test casting with a size 3 or a size 5, but I would doubt that you could feel or see any difference in the cast or action of the rod. Certainly a size 5 ring is going to weigh a tiny, tiny, tiny bit more than a size 3. But other than that it would be tough to tell the difference. If you fished in dirty or debris filled water, the larger tip might be a touch less prone to clogging up with junk.

Be safe

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 30, 2014 03:07PM

The one reason I would say it is good is to have any tackle like swivels go thought the ring easier That is a lot sharper angle But if you don't have that trouble Then like said one size larger can't hert
If You LIke It

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 30, 2014 05:47PM

Agree with Bill. Maybe I'm just funny or something, but if there is a significant size difference discernible between the last few running guides and the tiptop, it catches my attention and looks wrong. I know it doesn't make any difference in the performance, but, it sure as heck does in my perception.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 30, 2014 07:03PM

That is why people look at a Spiral wrap And ask what you were smoking It looks funny

Untill they use the rod !!!! You have to decide if one size larger or two will work with the tackle set up you have -- That is what custom rods are all about

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster