I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Q: Spine - building on stiffest axis on multipiece UL blank?
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dhcp.hspr.ca.charter.com)
Date: October 29, 2014 10:38PM

Apologies for this basic question. There's been lots of discussion on spine vs straightest axis. This is not quite the same question but it is a question of spine and guide orientation in relation to the spine. I normally build 1 piece rods so this has not been an issue.

I have an out of production 3 piece UL blank equivalent to about 3 wt fly rod in power. It's a special blank and I have one shot to build this right.

When rolling the blank, there is a clear spine where it is significantly stiffer than the rest of the rod. The two stiffest axis is clearly 180 degrees from each other. So far so good.

I would like to build with the guides on the stiffest axis. Is this OK? When casting with a very hard motion, would this cause the multipiece blank to slip at the joint and twist as the rod blank seeks it more 'natural' axis where it bends with the least resistance?

I once had a UL rod that always cast to one side though it was straight as a rod. I wondered if it was due to the guides being on the stiffest axis.

Thanks in advance for any comment from those of you who build on multipiece UL blanks and have built with guides oriented on the stiffest axis.

Thanks!
Mo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Q: Spine - building on stiffest axis on multipiece UL blank?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 29, 2014 11:05PM

If you want to build on the stiffest axis, by all means go for it. No the multi piece rods will not twist at the joint.

If you want to build on the straightest axis for each piece of the multi piece rod, go for it.

If you want to just jam the different pieces of blank together and build on what comes up, go for it.

Actually, I am guessing that if you used any of the above methods of building the rod, you would have very little difference using the actual rod for casting and catching fish.

The reason that it is custom - you can build the rod in any way that you feel works for you.

Personally, I really don't worry at all about the stiffest side of the rod. I just roll the blank on a flat surface and build on the straightest axis of each piece of a multi piece rod.

For me, that works as good as any other method.

By the way, over the years, I have used rods that have been built off axis, built off spine, and off the straightest axis. Yet, I have never had one cast sideways or exhibit any other bad traits. I just simply don't believe that the axis on which a rod is built is that important.

Be safe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2014 11:36PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 30, 2014 08:04AM

It all depends where the guides are, not the spine. At some point, either on the back cast or the forward cast, the level arm effect of the guides is going to try and twist the rod. So good ferrule fit and assembly is the really important thing.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: October 30, 2014 10:27AM

Agree with Roger --- roll each section for straightest; mark them; assemble them & retest for straightest -- just in case one of the ferrules doesn't align 100%

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dhcp.hspr.ca.charter.com)
Date: October 30, 2014 01:07PM

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

The reason I asked is that I would LIKE to build on the stiffest axis to increase the power of the rod. As it is 3wt equivalent, it is a bit lighter in power than I'd like. The difference between the stiff and flexible axis (if that's the term) is significant.

Much appreciated. As always, I find rodbuilding to be tops of all the forums that I participate in.

Mo

Posted by: jim spooner (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: November 01, 2014 10:01AM

Mo,
I agree with your reasoning. If the bow of the blank allows it (1st priority), I always build on the stiffest axis…..not only because of a slight increase in power, but a bit more sensitivity.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster