I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How to test blank before it's purchased
Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 28, 2014 06:31PM

I've built about 20 rods. Some I've liked and some I've hated. How can you find a blank you're happy with before building on it? Any suggestions or is it just hit or miss. I realize you pros build many rods and your experience tells you.
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to test blank before it's purchased
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: October 28, 2014 07:13PM

Bruce: I have the same problem. I found it helps to wait until the hype for a "new" blank dies down, read what the guys on fishing blogs are saying after a year or so, and read reviews of factory-built rods on that blank after six or eight months. Don't get hustled into buying the "latest, greatest, whiz-bang" blank. Progress in the design and performance of rod blanks has been glacial at best.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: October 28, 2014 07:48PM

If you are buying on line or through a catalog it is very hard to know how the blank will fit your needs. If you can buy it locally it is much easier to flex test the blank and see if it fills the bill. Or if you know someone who has a rod made on that blank see if you can give it a try.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 28, 2014 08:05PM

Bruce

You have gotten GOOD info
Unless you have the money to buy blanks that just have come out and if you build and don't like -- Life is a you know what

Go with what you have used
OR
Ask if some one has built the blank This way you will get GOOD feadback on how it performs

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 28, 2014 08:36PM

I have about 60 CTS demo rods and blanks that I will ship to responsible people with suitable security. i.e a refundable deposit.
I have been stung before so I have to be cautious. Not worried about breakage as much as not getting my blanks/rods back.

I fit the un-built blanks with guides temporarily wrapped and carbon fiber grips held on by friction.

I agree - when I experiment I get some "frogs" and it gets expensive.

Regards,
Herb

Posted by: Jeremy Reed (---.swo.res.rr.com)
Date: October 28, 2014 10:49PM

It's hit or miss for me. I try to bounce some blank ideas off others to get some feedback and experience with a certain blank I'm interested in. I order, and if I like it, I'll keep it on hand for a demo/personal rod. If I don't like it, it gets discounted and I recoup my money.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dhcp.hspr.ca.charter.com)
Date: October 29, 2014 12:41AM

Curious what is it about the blanks that you don't like.

I'm not as experienced as most of you here as I build on specific blanks that I am familiar with. But if I find a blank that has a certain power, is very lightweight for its power, and has the action (curve) I like. I build it and know that I'll like it. It is just a physics thing. Or am I missing something?

Mo

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: October 29, 2014 01:58AM

I started by building on blanks that I experienced first hand as built rods before branching out.

Date: October 29, 2014 08:07AM

Hey Mo,
I think we are speaking of blanks we have no experience with, even to wiggle, bought sight-unseen.
I did that recently with a 9'0" #6 form a very recognizable designer that was an absolute pig. I donated it to someone who builds and donates finished fly rods to Vets.
Regards,
Herb

Date: October 29, 2014 08:07AM

Duped post - sorry
Herb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2014 08:09AM by Herb Ladenheim.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: October 29, 2014 08:35AM

Good question but no satisfactory answer.
You have three choices: test for yourself and pass the cost along, absorb it as r&d or follow what others have done.

I have a list of loves i turn to when asked to build:
Batson 822.5, sage VXP 4 wt 81/2 ft, seeker 7.5 ft S glass, CB843 MHX,MB842mhx etc.

I also have a bin of about 60 blanks that just don't work well for me.
Plus maybe 20 built up i just do not care to use.
I discount them or cut them up for repairs.

Grow tomatoes on some.

That is expensive.

If you think that sounds crazy you need to see my guide selection,
epoxies and finish coatings in my currently used pile.

You do not want to see my discarded finish pile. Its scary.

Over a dozen pieces of rodblank with various wraps laying around the yard to test for color fast, weather proof etc,

Posted by: billy brodrick (---.cmts.sth3.ptd.net)
Date: October 29, 2014 10:04AM

Lou you just described my shop to a tea. After 30 years in the business I think I could open a new blank business with the stock I have. Same thing with the various epoxy's and glue. I too have a half dozen or so go to blanks I prefer. As to all the other blanks I bought over the years on a whim or believing the hype. Many I wouldn't even donate as they will break it any way. Funny many times when I am looking for that specific blank I still on occasion find it in the pile I bought from the trash cans at the show! Bruce you want the chance to get your favorite blanks list go to the big show!!!!! You will play with so many blanks and talk to so many manufacturers and builders your head will spin!!!!!

Posted by: Tony Hill (---.sub-75-192-83.myvzw.com)
Date: October 29, 2014 10:17AM

Wow, Lou, you are all-in!

Asking about a specific blank here has been my absolute-best resource! But even then, you meet to sift to those who fish like you do. I mostly cast jigs to stripers, 1/2-1 1/2 oz plus plastic. I have learned that the Mag Bass taper is one I love, so I stick to those. Love my Loomis and Rogue blanks, but am about to try some new ones.

So, I'd advise you to find a taper you like to narrow things down, then go from there.

And for what it's worth, a good build does wonders! Got a custom rod I hated as a present, on a great blank. Told my friend, and he stripped it, added 4" to the butt, and re-wrapped it. I couldn't believe it was the same rod!

-TH

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: October 29, 2014 12:42PM

Other complications: The criteria for a blank one "likes" varies wildly from a downrigger blank to a hotshot blank, from a 3 wt. fly rod to a 9 wt fly rod, from a novice caster to an accomplished caster, from a blank where casting is more important to a blank where lifting is more important. The devil is in the details, and the better a rod builder suits the angler's "details" the better a rod builder he is.

Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (---.nianet.org)
Date: October 30, 2014 09:24AM

IF it's possible, go to the ICRBE and touch them all. I was fortunate enough to get to attend the ICRBE a few years ago and I touched and flexed many many blanks. The ones I liked, I wrote the numbers down. Batson, American Tackle, Seeker, Phenix, NFC, St. Croix, Mudhole, Hydra and I'm sure I left some out were all there. ICRBE is great for blank learning if one is able to attend.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 30, 2014 10:29PM

I haven't had the time to really get into the CCS data base, but if it survives and matures, it will be a great resource. I have an Amtac light crankbait rod that I really like, seems just a tad faster than my light Loomis crankbait rod that I also really like. Checked CCS and they are almost identical, the Amtak just a tad faster as I had perceived.

If you have a rod or blank that you like and can find one with the same CCS specs and weight, and both are of similar quality graphite, I doubt very much if you would like one and hate the other.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 30, 2014 11:04PM

I just checked the data base (really neat , easily searchable) for two rods I made, an RX8 Rainshadow 8 wt and a PacBay Quickline 8 wt and found the numbers to agree very closely with mine, the small differences between the rods agree with my perceptions, and both are great rods. I expect if I find another blank that is very close to those numbers it will be very close to those performance characteristics.

As I understand it, we can feed data to it. Of course this can introduce possible testing technique variables, but in my experience, unless someone is really sloppy, those differences will not affect conclusions. As more data are recorded outliers will be obvious.

This will be a great tool for answering the initial question with confidence. As long as it gets fed data.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster