I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rodsmith Deluxe Chuck vs Alps Headstock Chuck
Posted by: Bruno Giuliari (12.10.199.---)
Date: October 28, 2014 02:21PM

Hi,
I have a PacBay rod lathe with the standard chuck and I'm looking to turn some cork grips on the blank. I was wondering which chuck works the best, I believe either one will fit my lathe. Any thoughts?
Thanks
Bruno

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rodsmith Deluxe Chuck vs Alps Headstock Chuck
Posted by: David Parsons (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 28, 2014 07:09PM

Bruno read my post from oct 19 (American power wrapper problem) it's on the first page near bottom now

Posted by: Bruno Giuliari (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 28, 2014 07:50PM

Dave, my standard chuck is the all plastic one and it works okay for wrapping guides except for occasionally the dent washer pops out. I have a couple of rods to build that have 14" rear cork grips that I need to shape. I don't think the plastic chuck will hold up under the sanding pressure. So I was think of upgrading to a more stable chuck.

Posted by: David Parsons (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 28, 2014 08:02PM

it sounds like a lot of people are having problem with the deluxe chuck besides my friend.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 28, 2014 08:18PM

Maybe you should go with a LATH chuck
I have never read of anything coming out of some of the chucks mentioned here
Except the power wrapper chucks ???!!!&^%$##

You also have to understand a lot can be -- User Error

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2014 08:19PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: October 28, 2014 09:25PM

I've never used the "plastic" chuck so I have no experience with it. But, I do have the ALPS upgraded chuck on my set-up and it has done everything that I've wanted. I've not made cork grip from rings, but have manipulated some and it did just fine. If I were to do more with cork I wound have a separate unit and a dirty room to use.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 28, 2014 09:46PM

Pick up a Taig head stock and chuck. Build the base as required to fit your wrapper and a pulley to fit the 5/8th shaft on the Taig head stock.

These machine shop head stocks and chucks are top notch.

Incidentally, this is essentially the same chuck that is use by the Custom wrapper, as is the chuck for the Renzetti power wrapper.

I have several of their head stocks and chucks and will not be going back to any of the lesser head stocks or chucks.

From Renzetti: [www.renzetti.com]

From Taig: [www.taigtools.com]

[www.taigtools.com]

Here is a parts list for the head stock, chuck and other accessories:
[www.taigtools.com]

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 28, 2014 09:46PM

Pick up a Taig head stock and chuck. Build the base as required to fit your wrapper and a pulley to fit the 5/8th shaft on the Taig head stock.

These machine shop head stocks and chucks are top notch.

Incidentally, this is essentially the same chuck that is use by the Custom wrapper, as is the chuck for the Renzetti power wrapper.

I have several of their head stocks and chucks and will not be going back to any of the lesser head stocks or chucks.

From Renzetti: [www.renzetti.com]

From Taig: [www.taigtools.com]

[www.taigtools.com]

Here is a parts list for the head stock, chuck and other accessories:
[www.taigtools.com]

Date: October 29, 2014 09:16AM

Thank you for the ideas.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: October 29, 2014 11:03AM

Returning to the original question - the Batson / ALPS chuck will attach directly and it is much better than the "upgraded" PacBay chuck. I replaced one original with the upgraded chuck then "chucked" one original and one upgrade for two ALPS chucks. Upside is only one "modification" - you need to drill two holes in your existing aluminum frame.

Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-70-195-203.myvzw.com)
Date: October 29, 2014 01:11PM

Bruno

Here is our Cork Lathe Setup video. Check it out at the link below. We've turned down hundreds of cork handles over the years this way. This setup is easily stowed away so you won't have to dedicate valuable shop space to a lathe and keep the dust away from your wrapping and finishing station.

[www.youtube.com]

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Date: October 29, 2014 04:46PM

Ken,
Thanks I ordered the Alps.

John great video, it made it look so easy. Thanks

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 30, 2014 08:23PM

Bruno

Good choice on the ALPS upgrade. I did the same to my lathe and it has been flawless. Never had a rod come out of it. Also i have sanded cork grips and it works like a champ. Another feature that wasn't mentioned is the three speed shive on the drying motor. which is really handly. You won't be disappointed.

Tom

Posted by: Ryan McBride (---.wavecable.com)
Date: November 03, 2014 06:06PM

FYI.. there are some amazing new additions coming for your wrapping machine!! Stay Tuned!!

Posted by: Mark Marshall (---.dhcp.buvl.tn.charter.com)
Date: November 09, 2014 08:56PM

Same problem, same story.
I both a PacBay wrapping machine with an upgraded chuck. I got about 40 builds out of it until it would not hold a rod. Replaced it with an ALPS upgrade. Problem solved so far.

Posted by: Ryan McBride (---.wavecable.com)
Date: November 12, 2014 06:56PM

Great choice on the ALPS upgraded chuck! FYI we use it here on many test rods, etc.. We haven't had any issues from anyone thus far!

Date: November 13, 2014 11:51AM

Just installed the ALPS chuck and its awesome. Its was easy to install and they provide great instructions. Purchased it from the Rod Room great customer service.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster