I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Worth it to upgrade wrapping machine?
Posted by: mike langevin (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 25, 2014 10:13PM

Hi all. I was wondering if anyone has "upgraded" from a pac bay wrapper w/ chuck upgrade to a custom power wrap machine. I have had to rule out the Renzetti because the thread comes from behind and that would irritate me. Is it worth it to get CPW? Why? I called the sponsor and couldn't get the person on the phone to explain why one machine is priced at 300 and another 500-800. I am wrapping more rods so I am looking to invest in a better machine, but the difference can't just be cosmetic. Any specific comparisons between the two machines that would illustrate why the CPW is more expensive, and worth that expense, would be greatly appreciated!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Worth it to upgrade wrapping machine?
Posted by: Tim Wiehe (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: October 26, 2014 01:12AM

Hi Mike. I bought an earlier generation custom power wrapper almost 30 years ago. It still works great. The only difference I can tell from mine to the newer versions is the supports/chuck are better.
It is now my secondary machine or the one my son uses to help out. My primary wrapper I use now is an Alps with upgraded chuck. Both perform equally well and I don't notice any major differences. I do little grip turning on either machine as most is done a lathe. I would be hard pressed to spend the additional $$ on another machine as I think it can be spent on other things
ie: turning lathe, multiple rod drying system,ect. That's if you don't already have these things. Just my 2 cents.
Tim/

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 26, 2014 01:21AM

Mike,
Your choice of a power wrapper is entirely up to you.
I personally like to use a wrapper that uses a DC power supply with a DC wrapper motor. This gives me a nice compact power source with the ability to reverse the direction of the blank.

I also like to have a high quality machinist chuck to hold the rod. I also like to have rod supports that are cantilevered to allow one to be able to get very close to a guide being wrapped with a rod rest. This design is particularly nice when working with very fine tipped blanks that are very flexible.

So make your searches and find the features that work for you. If you currently have the features that you need, there is no reason to go to something different.

Good luck

Date: October 26, 2014 02:12AM

[www.anglersworkshop.com]

No doubt about it, the CPW is a very good wrapper.

The headstock and chuck is identical to the one that I prefer for my wrapper. The headstock and chuck are both Taig items. i.e. Taig is the manufacturer of a nice lathe. The CPW wrapper uses the Taig parts for its wrapper.

This is the link to the Taig home page for its Lathe and parts:

[www.taigtools.com]

However, I much prefer other items for motor, and rod support.

Good luck

Date: October 26, 2014 06:30PM

Ok so the chuck is better than mine. That's something at least. Never see these used so that may be good sign. I just wish I could get a side by side comparison that would show why each is at its respective price point.

Date: October 27, 2014 01:04PM

Mike,
Your comment states the exact reason why I have not purchased a commercial rod wrapper.
I can build a wrapper that meets - MY - requirements and not have to have a rod wrapper that has features that are not needed for my particular wrapping needs.

Be safe

Date: October 27, 2014 01:36PM

Mike,
Out of curiosity, do you ever use more than one thread at a time when you wrap rods?

Although many different rod wrappers have thread stands and carriages that have multiple thread mounts; many many builders build all of the time without ever using more than one color thread at a time.

Be safe

Date: October 27, 2014 01:48PM

Mike,
Out of curiosity, do you ever use more than one thread at a time when you wrap rods?

Although many different rod wrappers have thread stands and carriages that have multiple thread mounts; many many builders build all of the time without ever using more than one color thread at a time.

Be safe

Posted by: mike langevin (---.sub-70-208-86.myvzw.com)
Date: October 27, 2014 02:04PM

No I usually don't wrap more than one color at a time. I do like the convineince of the double thread carriage though. I load my under and over wrap colors at the same time. I wish i could build my own rod machine or have one built with only the features I like. That's exactly why I started wrapping my own rods to begin with.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 27, 2014 05:30PM

Mike you should make it to a gathering. Someone brought their set up on Saturday, and we were discussing how to make modifications to teh thread carriages on pac bays. I have a CLemens which was by far the best wrapper avaialble commercially. I don't know anyone with teh custom power wrap, and everyone taht I know who has the PB/Amtak/Batson set up hates teh chuck and upgraded chuck, its' almost mandatory to get the ALPS chuck.

Date: October 27, 2014 07:01PM

Thanks for info Billy! Yeah I really don't know how much more money I want to put into this pac bay unit. It needs a foot petal and ALPs chuck for sure. But the drying motor is broke and I'm not sure I want to keep putting money into this.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 28, 2014 04:38PM

Mike

Talk to Roger that has just given you some good advice
He should be able to build what you want Any way you want

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster