I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Choice of tuna rod for trolling and stand up
Posted by: sanford hochman (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: October 25, 2014 11:38AM

With the new blanks on the market, I am trying to decide on a blank for making a tuna rod. We fish off of Cape Cod, MA, and the rod should be able to take on a fish up to at least 400 lbs. I have used the Seeker blanks and Calstar Grafighter. I see now there are strong blanks such as Black Hole and ATX. I want a light weight rod that is not thick and has some flexibility. Help would be appreciated. I think it should be no more than 6' in length.Thanks,
Sanford Hochman

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Choice of tuna rod for trolling and stand up
Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 25, 2014 12:25PM

Hi Sanford,

I hope all is well up on the Cape. Have not been up there since I last visited Walter Barnes.

Take a look at the CTS blanks, New Zealand. They are strong, light weight, sensitive, can handle heavy sinker loads and have muscle down the middle. The @#$%& 706 is the biggest model (80#) I have built on. Guys use it for deep water tile fishing. They probable have other models better suited for you that I am not aware of. They do catch very big fish out their way.

Stay well.
Capt Neil

Capt Neil Faulkner

Date: October 25, 2014 01:40PM

Thanks Neil,
I'm sure you heard that Walter passed away about 6 months ago. He worked on fishing rods up to the day he died.
Sanford

Date: October 25, 2014 01:40PM

Thanks Neil,
I'm sure you heard that Walter passed away about 6 months ago. He worked on fishing rods up to the day he died.
Sanford

Posted by: Ryan McBride (---.wavecable.com)
Date: October 27, 2014 01:15PM

If you want a Tuna rod for trolling and stand up look here: [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

Very durable and light weight!

R. McBride

Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Posted by: Todd Kreikamp (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: October 27, 2014 02:39PM

Tough to beat the Rainshadows RCT's or FSU's for value. We have been beating on a set of FSU56XH's for over a year and they have been great. I have preferred the FSU's for our 6' 50lb-80lb. stand up rods because I triim the butts down to give us the overall 6' length including the Unibutts. I can do the same with the RCT's but end up cutting off most of the RX6 butt material so the weight reduction is minimal when comparing the two. If leaving the blank at full length, there are some weight savings for sure by going with the RCT's.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster