I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

threaded mandrel vendors please?
Posted by: Roger Templon (---.atlanticbb.net)
Date: October 23, 2014 07:35PM

hello fellow rodbuilders

just pulled off a stupid!! i bent my 5/16 threaded mandrel. lance at swampland is out of the 5/16" size and says they are not being made anymore! karen at bingham enterprises does not carry them. searching sponsor websites has not been productive. does anyone know who else may stock / sell them? sponsors?

thanks

rog
"
"
'

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: threaded mandrel vendors please?
Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: October 23, 2014 08:54PM

Mudhole should have them, at least they did

Ron Weber

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 23, 2014 11:34PM

Roger,
I just use threaded hardware store rod. For all of the handles that I have turned, this rod has worked very well for me.

I make sure to put a 60 degree centering hole on the end of any rod that I use in the lathe. The hole keeps the rod centered and easy to use on the lathe.

Whenever using a mandrel or threaded rod on the lathe, I always use the largest size rod that is consistent with the size of the hole in the handle. The larger the rod, and the larger the hole in the blank, the stiffer the rod will be for use on the lathe.

If you don't have a set of 60 degree centering bits, buy a package. Then, using your lathe, with the threaded rod pushed all of the way through the chuck, with the centering bit on a jacobs chuck installed in the tail stock, drill a centering hole in the center of each end of any rod that you use on the lathe. Simple, easy and makes an excellent tool for use with the lathe.

[www.google.com]

Posted by: Dick Ross (---.ien.ada.in.ena.net)
Date: October 24, 2014 10:26AM

Just looked at mudhole's site and the threaded mandrels are out of stock. You can have them made by a machinist in your area. I personally would not use regular threaded rod for anything but cork or foam. The steel in those are not a high grade (3 or 4) plus cutting the threads not only weakens them a bit , it will allow for flex when using them on harder materials i.e. wood,acrylics etc.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 24, 2014 11:25AM

Be careful using any "all thread" rods! As stated above the are much softer then the tempered steel mandrels and will flex under pressure. This flexing, if if slight will cause out of round turning.

Posted by: Ron Weber (192.158.48.---)
Date: October 24, 2014 03:18PM

I totally agree with Dick and Phil on the all thread, very soft, flexable, and an accident waiting to happen.

Ron Weber

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster