I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

anybody know a source of fiberglass blank scrap
Posted by: Rick Ballard (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: October 23, 2014 10:39AM

I have a couple of rods that are broken and I want to try the repair process detailed in the library. Willing to buy entire blank if they are inexpensive.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: anybody know a source of fiberglass blank scrap
Posted by: Chad Huderle (67.50.131.---)
Date: October 23, 2014 10:46AM

Check out any Salvation Army or Goodwill type stores in your area. They often have a few fishing rods available. Maybe a friend has an old Ugly Stick they're willing to part with.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 23, 2014 10:59AM

Chad,
x10 on Goodwill or Salvation army stores.
Also, check out pawn shops as well as sporting goods donation boxes. You can also check with sporting goods stores to see if they have a box of broken rods that they would give away or sell at a very reduced price.

Be safe

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 23, 2014 11:24AM

Anglers Roost, a supplier on the left, has some very inexpensive fiber glass blanks.

Posted by: ricky espenschied (---.dhcp.missouri.edu)
Date: October 23, 2014 12:16PM

Batson spg fiberglass are in expensive
Ricky

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: October 23, 2014 12:20PM

Garage sales, estate sales, and the already mentioned broken rod returns at local tackle stores is where I get mine. You have to ask, many people have old rods lying around that they feel are un-sellable so they are not with the items on sale. I ask directly and quite often they'll come up from the basement with 2-4 that they are happy to get rid of for free. A couple of the local estate sale people set the "worthless" rods aside for me in case I come by (I'm a fairly regular attendee and on their mailing lists).

I can't imagine how many free rods with guides falling off or missing guides I have gotten at estate sales because nobody wants to pay even a quarter. I usually ask the guy in the garage and he steers me to the garbage can outside where they were tossed when they cleaned up the place for the sale. Needless to say, I have a lifetime supply...

On a side note, each year I take some of the better rods needing minor repairs into work and have the kids who are interested in learning about rodbuilding repair and refinish them. They used to be surprised when at the end I gave them the rod they worked on. More recently, the word has gotten around to the younger kids coming up and I have to have a first-come-first-serve sign up sheet to limit the group size to something manageable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2014 12:21PM by John E Powell.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.151.---)
Date: October 23, 2014 01:14PM

Not that it would work for everyone but my local Cabelas used to have a barrel in their bargain cave of broken rods. they were labeled ice rods and were like $2 ea.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: October 23, 2014 04:21PM

Contact some of the blank manufacturers especially the ones who made the rods you need to repair. Most have a lot of scrap, and will sell it cheaply.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.17.---)
Date: October 23, 2014 04:37PM

Lamiglas has blank seconds in the back at $4 a foot, everything from glass fly blanks to Heavers for the surf. Thing is I don't know if they will pull and ship what you need, I get my supply every spring during the rodbuilding weekend.
They used to have a few boxes of scrap in the early years, but you had to get past Mr. O'Quinn to get the good stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2014 04:43PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 23, 2014 05:18PM

try this bottom of page
[www.schneidersrods.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Rick Ballard (73.43.102.---)
Date: October 26, 2014 09:15PM

Thanks guys, think I am going to order some of those Batson eglass blanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster