I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Common courtesy lacking
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 22, 2014 11:16AM

I guess I am not as self-actualized as most who responded to this thread indicate about themselves.

I like to know if my advice was received well and followed vs advice proffered by others.

I was in a service business for 32 years. Part on the direct-client-contact side. Then on the supervisory side. I encouraged my people to always keep in touch with clients - good news or bad. In a word COMMUNITATE.

I am hard wired that way. As I am sure others are even if they do not state so here.

Is it a character flaw on my part that needs that acknowledgement from those I tried to help? I'm sure I do not know.

I guess it is "to each his own".

BTW - my comments do not degrade this forum nor Tom in the least. Tom has no control over these things nor should he care about them. Don't understand why Tom and the value of this forum to the industry became an issue.

Thanks to the many private messages I received in support of my views.

Let's end it here.
Herb

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 22, 2014 11:50AM

I didn't take it as an RBO issue, its' how things are on every forum no matter what the topic, womens forums, cars. It is a little frustrating when you go way out of your way to type up a long reply, and it doesnt' get acknowledged. It's even worse when you are called out in teh original post, or when someone contacts you directly. I think those who answer questions are perturbed by this more than those who answer here and there.

Regarding the search feature - regardless teh forum, questions are repeated. SO when you make a post and it sits on the first page for 2 weeks, you only have whoever is on line those 2 weeks to answer. In a search, you can find a LOT of info posted by people at various times, people come and go from all forums, so quite often there is much better info in teh search than will be posted currently. So more often than not, somoene saying ot check the archives is the one given the best advice on a particular topics...espcailly when you see some of hte replies that people give.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: October 22, 2014 07:37PM

Herb,
Please don't take it personally.
This board is voluntary from both sides.
In general I agree with your advice and endorse it.
If you feel more should be forthcoming, maybe it should be.
Only you may decide why you choose to voluntarily give advice.
A thanks is nice but contributing to others is the primary purpose.
Take consolation in that perhaps your advice will keep another from walking the wrong road.
That's the most you should expect, any further is icing on the cake and while greatly appreciated it won't become mandatory.
The real reward is just for openly giving.

Thank you
Gene Moore

Date: October 23, 2014 12:10AM

Gene,
Can't argue that point. However, my point is that I do not know if my comments were helpful nor whether the post was even read.
Herb

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: October 23, 2014 06:03PM

Herb,
You can only lead the horse to water.
After that he's pretty much up to what he wants to do.
If you gave good advice that wasn't follwed you still did your part in advancing the knowledge.
Should the other hundred who read and replied nothing also give thanks ?
I hope it doesn't come to that.
Cheer up. Share the wealth and go on.

Gene

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 23, 2014 06:10PM

herb
If his email is not hidden you can send one to him and ask ???

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tony Hill (---.sub-75-197-86.myvzw.com)
Date: October 24, 2014 01:45AM

Saying thank you to a specific answer to your question seems like common courtesy to me. But it seems to be a generation thing. It seems that most younger people, in their 20's, and even some in their 30's think that saying thank you is unnecessary, or even a waste of time.

So when I meet a young person with good manners, I praise them and the parents who taught them!

Just my opinion, of coursel.

-TH

Date: October 24, 2014 03:42PM

Hey Bill,
Hadn't thought of that - duh.
Herb

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 24, 2014 05:02PM

Hay herb
I can not understand why so many are worring about weather a poster has not said thank you
2 pages I have much better things to worry about then that

Not trying to be a hard ass - butt -- All the space wasted on what ??? Try living in the NY area Thank you - You are lucky ya don't get shot -- LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: David Parsons (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: October 24, 2014 05:12PM

Good manners are harder and harder to find. But phone etiquette is also hard to find call a business and they just say yea,what ,hello they don,t say goodmorning ( company name ) how may I help you. You don't know if you dialed the right number.

thanks for listening to me.

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.ontariopowergeneration.com)
Date: October 28, 2014 08:58AM

bill boettcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hay herb
> I can not understand why so many are worring about
> weather a poster has not said thank you
> 2 pages I have much better things to worry about
> then that
>
> Not trying to be a hard ass - butt -- All the
> space wasted on what ??? Try living in the NY area
> Thank you - You are lucky ya don't get shot -- LOL

Yet you replied 6 times on this thread. Got to keep your post count up eh Bill.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster