I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Common courtesy lacking
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 20, 2014 05:19PM

Lately I have began noticing members posting calls for help with disasters or just specific questions.
Many times the member who initiated the post does not bother to acknowledge the input received nor even thank the members for the time taken to respond.
I do not understand this phenomenon.
Regards,
Herb

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Common courtesy lacking
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 20, 2014 05:43PM

I think most certainly do appreciate any help, but may not see the need to post a follow up "thank you."

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: October 20, 2014 07:05PM

I agree with Herb. A simple "thank you" is not a difficult task to perform!!

Posted by: mike thacker (---.dyn.grandenetworks.net)
Date: October 20, 2014 09:23PM

It is generally considered poor ettiqette to reply to emails, etc. when the reply is a "thank you". it is viewed as wasting the time of the recipient. i don't like clicking on replies thinking there is an update to find a "thank you". my point is, people may not see it as a lapse in courtesy, but actually the opposite. thanks to everyone for any info I've used, past, present and future. i got my Rodmaker today, so thanks to all who wrote articles, and published it.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 21, 2014 12:09AM

Mike, these are not emails! They are posted questions and requests, posting a response is not time consuming for the recipient.

Posted by: mike thacker (---.dyn.grandenetworks.net)
Date: October 21, 2014 12:19AM

Phil,
Fair enough. just a thought on why some people may not be inclined to post a thank you. (i intended to state, the time was not a waste for the person posting the thank you, but the person receiving it, thus taking the time to open a response to find a thank you) in the electronic world, it is common to not post a thank you to a question's reply. My point was only to express why someone may not reply to an answer and not feel it is a lapse in courtesy.
Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2014 12:23AM by mike thacker.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 21, 2014 12:41AM

Herb,
I couldn't agree more. Your statement and request is nothing more than common courtesy.

Be safe

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 21, 2014 01:01AM

When posting at any given time ,and asking for help. Before closing ,I always try to add a thank you for the help given , and that I appreciate their replies . I feel this way , a follow up post isn't needed .. Regards : Don'

<<<<DON>>>>
Fort Myers Fla.

Posted by: billy brodrick (---.cmts.sth3.ptd.net)
Date: October 21, 2014 09:43AM

Well I will go the other way and say that if someone asks a question a lot of times the reply is "look it up its been discussed here", or similar response. Now if you don't want to help leave it alone. Don't make a newbie feel stupid just for asking a question. We were all newbies at one time and some are better with the net then others or perhaps new to the sight. Also many times the answer or advice given is just plain wrong. It seems to me its from the same guys too. They lurk here and answer every question like they are the authority and expert on rod building. These same people spend so much time here they couldn't have time to build as many rods as their "expert" advice. Many times it seems it is just spewed from other posts also.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 21, 2014 10:31AM

Showing a newbe the search funsion when the same question has been asked over and over only shows a newbe where he can find info
It also teaches them when they may not know how this site works
If you give and expect a reward -- you are not giving from the hart

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: October 21, 2014 12:26PM

This is an interesting discussion, however, I have not learned anything regarding the building of a fishing rod.

THANK YOU!

Date: October 21, 2014 12:33PM

Be-little folks so they are afraid to ask a question only makes them afraid to ask a question. If you don't want to answer don't say a word. Some people it seems there "reward" is not giving but making themselves the self imposed expert by answering as many different questions as they can. many times with wrong advice. Some in a round about way trying to sell something they make or resell. Not as vendors.

Date: October 21, 2014 12:34PM

Thank you John !!!LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Date: October 21, 2014 01:42PM

John that subject has been discussed many times before and can be found in a previous thread search lol

Date: October 21, 2014 04:09PM

Yep
Use the Search Function above and set to all dates LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: October 21, 2014 04:19PM

I read the post and then the responses in the thread, and wrote a response and erased it a couple times as I considered the different viewpoints. In thinking about why I post responses here I guess they are my way of saying thank you to everyone else who ask questions and posts replies.

Oddly though this may seem, I find I get a lot more from reading posts and responses about topics that are not of particular interest to me than I do from topics that I think are of interest to me. They tend to make me consider what other people are doing and how I might learn from their experiences. This post made me realize that I've rarely just outright thanked someone for their response that I found interesting or thought provoking, though I have done so on a few occasions. rather, I guess I felt my thank yous were in the form of sharing my expertise and experiences with everyone else. Sometimes my responses are quick and short, other times they are lengthy and take quite a bit of time to write out.

This one will be short, thanks Herb for this post and for reminding me that many people look at situations from different perspectives. I'll try to remember to express my thanks more intimately in the future.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 21, 2014 05:29PM

I'm not so concerned with a "thank you"....more interested if a solution worked. Sooner or later I might have that same problem. I've never had a problem with blushing on my thread finish but it seems it happens "out of the blue" for some. Lots of ways to skin cats and wrap rods.....but if the majority agrees....and I'm doing it differently....time for me to evaluate.

No forum is perfect. Given the collective knowledge and degree of manners here.....Tom is doing well beyond "good enough".

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: October 21, 2014 07:01PM

That is why this is the Best rod-building site on the net
heck Just check how many posts that go on here even day to day i am sure you know
maybe this post will make more posters give a thank you This is good

But Why is There Such a Big deal Over it If you worry about some thing that small -- You are going to get sick Have a hart attack get ulcers That is not good !! A lot of posters I would think are posting from work or just don't have the time
They ask Get an answer And move on
Just like we should ---Hay what rod are you working on

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: October 21, 2014 11:06PM

My thanks are basically self-inflicted. If a post I make helps, then great, if not, then maybe someone else's did. But I have the satisfaction of knowing that I at least tried to help.

Ron Weber

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.georgewall.com)
Date: October 22, 2014 10:58AM

I apply epoxy using a spatula in most cases.....

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster