I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wraps too tight?
Posted by: Ron Bellaire (50.36.254.---)
Date: October 20, 2014 02:16PM

I have had three rod blank failures this year, all have been explained by their owners. One jammed into the car, one dog stepped on in the boat, and one in the back of a truck. Looking at them, all have been on the smaller diameter side of a guide wrap. All have been quality graphite blanks (SC, MHX). It seems odd that all would fail near the tip and close to a guide. I like the wraps pretty tight, am I messing up?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wraps too tight?
Posted by: Lance Dupre (107.77.80.---)
Date: October 20, 2014 03:36PM

It doesn't matter how tight or loose you wrap the guides if it's jammed against something or stepped on it will break.

Posted by: Anonymous User (184.99.14.---)
Date: October 20, 2014 03:51PM

I agree with the post before, that if it is stepped or jammed it doesnt matter on how tight the wraps are. Unless we are missing what you meant altogether?

BLAIR M.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 20, 2014 04:40PM

I might add that anyone that carries their rods in the back of their truck without securing them or anything else around them is asking for a rod to break. As rodbuilders we should educate a person on how to handle, transport and care for their rods so they don't get broken while fishing or in transit.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 20, 2014 05:10PM

When I changed boats, both with rod lockers that didn't restrain the rods, the new boat broke two rods when trailering. A situation that never happened with the first boat. I think thay got jammed tip to the locker wall, failed near the tips. Strange things happen when you don't treat your rods right.

Posted by: Ron Bellaire (50.36.231.---)
Date: October 20, 2014 05:45PM

Thanks, I thought the same thing. Can't treat a Corvette like a truck.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: October 20, 2014 08:02PM

Short (not so amusing) add to Lance's (Swampland) post from above. Local charter boat fisherman brought me a set of 15 rods to reguide and "repair" . I looked the rods over - all trolling rods and all with a distinct wear/rubmark between the first and second guide... I though that was odd so I asked him how he transported the rods. Answer : hanging over the tailgate of the pickup truck. Why don't you lay them flat?: .... "I was afraid I'd damage the rods or the reels" .... Yes, true story

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 21, 2014 08:56AM

I hope you told him if any break at that point Not your fault -- his

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: October 21, 2014 12:41PM

Of course! "Can't fix stupid"

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 21, 2014 05:47PM

Lets face it. There are some popular name brand rods out there that are darn near industructable. I think some anglers are of the opinion that a more costly rod should be even less likely to break.

It has gotten to that point that I won't even talk blanks to guys that love ugly sticks. Also avoid crappie and pier fisherman:)

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 21, 2014 07:15PM

I love what Ken posted
Can't Fix Stupid
The first thing I usually say to anyone is ( i do not compete with factory rod prices )
heck I am getting ill on worrying about shipping a 8' rod All the work and then it gets messed up because of the shipper Then i worry about any rod I ship

Russ
give them a price They will take it or move on i have not herd from at least 15 plus emails I have gotten Ya I can drop my price BUT WHY

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: October 22, 2014 09:36PM

Here in Florida a sizable portion of anglers put the butt ends of rods in the box of their pickups and prop the rods up on the tailgate, with 3' of the rod's length extending behind the tailgate. The hooks on the end of their lines are secured in the first guide and a two or three ounce egg-sinker is allowed to slide up and down the line between the reel and the tailgate while it bounces up and down. What blank (white, of course) would you recommend for a custom built rod for one of these guys? A one-piece blank is preferred and it should be 9' to 12' long.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 23, 2014 04:51PM

Phil, what area? I' assuming more near panhandle. Calstar/seeker blanks come to mind. Some of the lamiglas blanks too. For the truly abusive, gator glass. Haven't tried century and talon but might be worth a look. Local auto body shop and a case of beer could handle the white part.

Sounds like what I was talking about. Many of these guys are buying sub $200 to sub $100 store rods. They handle the abuse and catch (some) fish. Hard to sell them on the concept that they should spend 50-100% more on a custom rod that won't tolerate such treatment.

If I had any sense I'd build fly rods. That crowd seems willing (and used to) paying for performance......plus they like simple/understated wraps:)

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster