I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cored Grip
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 19, 2014 09:38AM

Don't remember if I ever linked to this or not. The discussion last week about grip coring and how large the core should be relative to the outer grip is here:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Since the idea is to save weight, you want the core to be as large as possible, which means it should be just a tad bit smaller in OD than the smallest diameter portion of the outer grip. There are full details and more photos in Volume 14 #6.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cored Grip
Posted by: Mike Laver (---.home4.cgocable.net)
Date: October 20, 2014 08:43AM

I'm going to attempt some cored wood grips this winter and being Canadian don't have easy access to that volume, what size bit would you bore with for a handle min size 1", I was thinking 5/8" but you seem to be indicating larger? I will be using a lathe.

Date: October 20, 2014 10:36AM

It all depends on what size your grip will be. I'd go as large as I can to reduce weight by as much as possible.

Posted by: Mike Laver (---.home4.cgocable.net)
Date: October 21, 2014 06:16AM

Thanks, think I will experiment with 5/8" and 7/8".

Posted by: Nathan Elswick (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: October 21, 2014 03:24PM

Tom,

I'm starting a build now that I will be experimenting with wood handles. Without having a two part eurathane foam, is there any reason why I cant turn the wood handles and bore them out to the same size as a reel seat arbor and then glue them in place onto the reel seat arbors? My train of thought is to turn the handles and bore them to the same diameter of the reel seat arbors, cut to length multiple reel seat arbors to get the right length, ream them out and glue them onto the rod and then slide the entire wooden handle onto the reel seat arbors and glue it into place. Keep in mind this whole process would be to install roughly a 10 inch rear wooden handle. For the front grip I don't see why you couldn't just ream it and glue it into place due to its short length.

Date: October 21, 2014 07:08PM

The foam arbors from Flex Coat are more than good enough and easy to glue end to end to get the lengths you need.

Date: October 21, 2014 07:12PM

Perfect, that is exactly what I ordered and I didn't see why it wouldn't work. I'm excited to branch out into the wooden grip world as I have been thinking about it for a while now.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 21, 2014 07:29PM

Nathan

Any weight you can lose on a rod is a good thing
If you can do the foregrip also - Don't get lazy

Bill - willierods.com

Date: October 21, 2014 08:59PM

Bill

I planned on doing the foregrip as well by coring out as much as I could without going all the way through, that way the front will be a finished edge but the backside will be all foam core which will be covered by the reel seat. The reel seat spacer will probably be made out of acrylic like my last build and the butt section of grip will be similarly shaped to the new St Croix Inshore Legend Extreme. I held the rod about 2 months back and it was incredibly comfortable in the hand and I am going to replicate it as close as possible with a single piece wooden rear grip section. I plan on cutting and gluing multiple times to inlay some patterns into the handle as well. It will be a few days until the components come in but I will hopefully begin turning the handle this week after I glue it all up.

Posted by: Gabe Neal (---.dot.gov)
Date: October 23, 2014 11:39AM

Thanks Tom. The request was from me and i submitted in the middle of a similar topic. This helps allot.

Thanks

Gabe

Gabe Neal

Neal's Custom Rods

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 23, 2014 02:45PM

I use 20mm foam reel seat arbors and bore with a 20mm Forstner bit.

Date: October 23, 2014 11:00PM

Phil,

How deep are you cutting with the Forstner bit into the handle? I'm using 3/4 inch foam arbors and was going to use a 3/4 forstner bit but I can't figure out how to extend it long enough to core out a grip. I was looking at an 18 inch 3/4 in drill bit but I think the forstner will give a cleaner cut. I've also seen boring drill bits that are long enough but again figured the forstner would be better.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.wnyric.org)
Date: November 12, 2014 02:10PM

Nathan,

Check I've never used these myself, but they might be what your looking for:

[www.mlcswoodworking.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster