I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

basic rod-wrapper
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: October 18, 2014 07:58PM

I got lazy this week building a fly rod for my own use, so I reamed out an egg sinker for tension, dropped it over the neck of a fly-tying bobbin, popped a small spool of "D" thread in the bobbin, took three turns of thread around one of the bobbin's legs to maintain tension, threaded the bobbin, and started winding. The bobbin just hung beneath the blank while I rotated it. I found it less tiring, more comfortable, just as neat, and faster than using my rod wrapping jig. Trim wraps, packing and burnishing were done as usual, and when I wanted to inspect wraps I simply moved the blank up to my eyes instead of crouching over a wrapping jig. This maneuver is handy for those who wear glasses, especially bi- or tri- focals.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: basic rod-wrapper
Posted by: mike thacker (---.dyn.grandenetworks.net)
Date: October 19, 2014 09:40AM

what weight egg sinker?

Date: October 19, 2014 11:44AM

Mike: I used a bored-out one half ounce sinker. Depending on the weight of the bobbin/thread spool additional weight may not be necessary. You can judge the weight needed by just suspending the bobbin + thread spool + weight[?] and feeling the tension, just like you would using a thread tensioner.

Posted by: Chris Tulk (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: October 19, 2014 04:51PM

Hi Phil,

Are you able to post a picture? I find my back gets very tired when I am wrapping with my wrapper.

Thank You,

Chris Tulk

Date: October 20, 2014 09:17AM

Chris: All the picture would show is a fly-tying bobbin hanging by its thread?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 20, 2014 10:10AM

Chris
maybe you should check the height of the wrapper Make it higher so you are not bending over to much
There was some posts on here not to long ago about bensh height if you can find them they may help
try here
[rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2014 10:14AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Jim Allen (---.dsl.klmzmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 20, 2014 10:18AM

Just a thought;
Is the bobbin trying to spin while hanging there as they try to do when fly tying.I would try to steady it from doing so or is it going to make that much of a diffrence if the thread unravels some.
It just seems it would be a better wrap if it did not.Or is that over thinking.
Great idea! Thanks!

Date: October 20, 2014 02:59PM

Jim: When you tie flies you rotate the bobbin around the axis of the hook causing twists in the thread which will make the bobbin rotate when you suspend it from the thread. When I wrap a guide using a bobbin I rotate the blank, which puts no twist in the thread so the bobbin does not spin. I have only used the bobbin method to wrap guides on the sections of a 9' 4-piece fly rod blank. I don't think it would work for blank sections much more than five feet long.

Date: October 20, 2014 02:59PM

Jim: When you tie flies you rotate the bobbin around the axis of the hook causing twists in the thread which will make the bobbin rotate when you suspend it from the thread. When I wrap a guide using a bobbin I rotate the blank, which puts no twist in the thread so the bobbin does not spin. I have only used the bobbin method to wrap guides on the sections of a 9' 4-piece fly rod blank. I don't think it would work for blank sections much more than five feet long.

Date: October 20, 2014 07:00PM

Phil

If you have a wrapper Why bother with that set up
Is it easyer to do ?? Maybe do the old thread spool in the cop and thread thought a book ??

Bill - willierods.com

Date: October 20, 2014 09:20PM

Bill: Yeah, it's a lot easier on my back than long periods of bending over from the waist over my wrapper or bending down so I can get a close look at the thread wraps to see if they need more packing or burnishing.

Date: October 21, 2014 09:09AM

I hope you checked the posts on bench height Lots of good info
My bench and chare are fixed the only way to help my back is a pillo and pulling the chair in close
Even then when I get up I am a question mark LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 25, 2014 01:09PM

I use a bobbin often. For me it really pays off on butt wraps.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster