I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How To Soften EVA to Push Over a Blank
Posted by: Phil Hageman (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: October 18, 2014 10:58AM

I have an 11" X 5/8" rear grip (actual I.D. is .641") to push on a blank with a butt end diameter of .712" - a total stretch of .071". The total push, from where the grip gets tight, to the butt cap which is already in place, is 14". Is there a way to soften the EVA enough to make the push?

Years ago, I sprayed WD-40 into preformed hypalon and had no trouble pushing grips. But it seems EVA is harder than hypalon.

Maybe I should buy a larger I.D. grip and shim a bit with masking tape to make the fit?

Looking for a solution.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How To Soften EVA to Push Over a Blank
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 18, 2014 11:06AM

Phil,
I never worry about forcing the EVA to stretch. I just ream the eva so that it is an easy push on fit for the grip. It is not tough to ream the EVA and it simplifies the installation a great deal.
i just treat EVA as I treat any other type of grip for a rod. Ream to fit, glue in place and get on with the build.

Be safe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2014 11:07AM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: October 18, 2014 11:29AM

I have pushed/pulled EVA over 2 feet with no problem. Simply coat the blank below where the grip meets slight resistance with epoxy, then encircle the grip at the top with your hand and while bracing the grip on the floor (covered with newspaper) pull it down to the desired position. It may bulge a little, but you can easily manipulate the grip back into the desired shape. Clean up immediately with DNA.

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: October 18, 2014 05:49PM

G'Day Phil here is the method that I use .I coat the blank to where it starts to become tight with glue (at the top of the grip) down to where its final position is .Then I fill the inside of the grip with DNA (Hand on the bottom to stop it running out ) & then pour the DNA back into the bottle .Then just drop the grip down to where it stops under its own weight .Hold the grip tight around the top & push down using Randolphs method .You will find that the DNA lubricates the grip along with the the glue .A small tip : if you chamfer the inside of the bottom of the grip it helps to retain a bit more of the glue .Hope this helps

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 18, 2014 07:40PM

Make sure you read the EVA installation procedure in the FAQs page here.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 18, 2014 07:44PM

Screw that -- Ream it like you wousd a cork grip

Like Roger said I do it and it is very easy to put in place
And it Does Not Push The Glue Away

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Harry Kelly (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 19, 2014 08:01AM

bill boettcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Screw that -- Ream it like you wousd a cork grip
>
> Like Roger said I do it and it is very easy to put
> in place
> And it Does Not Push The Glue Away

heat it with a heat gun just before slidding on the blank....

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 19, 2014 09:11AM

I prefer to ream it to fit. Especially if the grip has trim rings or inlays, solid color will stretch ok and slide into place with the gel epoxies on the market. Only down side to reaming is if its not cleaned out good you will scratch the blank.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Phil Hageman (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: October 19, 2014 02:07PM

Thanks everyone for your help. I made a makeshift (I lost my old tapered reamers somewhere) ream by spiraling course emery clothe on a straight tube and reamed the grip to fit. Worked out okay - arms got sore. Got the fit to within four inches and when I pushed, it slid in place. Like Fred said, the gel epoxy made it an easy push. Thanks again guys.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 19, 2014 02:49PM

if you plan to make more rods get several old blanks or rods Strip them a roll of sandpaper MudHole carries it and make some more You will need them

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: October 19, 2014 07:11PM

Doesn't anybody here use the rubber cement method?????

Posted by: Robert Hummel (---.lightspeed.dybhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 20, 2014 06:00PM

Yes, epoxy and rubber cement is the way to go. Easiest method I have ever tried.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster