I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

small diameter reel seats for kids?
Posted by: Steve Chontos (---.113.newnanutilities.org)
Date: October 15, 2014 08:43PM

I am building a couple rods for kids and 1 of them is a 3 yr old. They want a casting rod for him so he can use a zebco reel. I can't find any small casting seats, does anybody make such a thing?
Thanks,
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: small diameter reel seats for kids?
Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: October 15, 2014 09:38PM

In my opinion, a top heavy push button Zebco spincast is a nightmare for kids. They also tend to let go of the whole rod when they cast, rather than just letting go of the push button.

You might consider one like this. When they are ready you can replace the underspin with a regular spinning reel. I have 5 grandkids that love them!

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: October 15, 2014 11:21PM

I totally agree with the underspin for small beginners

Ron Weber

Posted by: Steve Chontos (---.delta.com)
Date: October 16, 2014 07:12AM

I agree and mentioned that to the customer, I'll talk to them again. Nice work on those rods.
Thanks

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: October 16, 2014 07:54AM

I don't know why we don't recommend the "under-spin" idea more, it works really well.
Another way is to build a spin rod using a fly rod grip with the reel behind the grip,
which makes it a very well balanced rod, and the cork can be turned to fit smaller hands,
all they are holding is the grip itself.
A small fighting butt at the end of a sz 16 spin seat finishes it off.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 16, 2014 11:03AM

Steve,
I personally think that this is the incorrect rod for children.

For a child that young, it is next to impossible for them to really do any casting.

Rather, just use the equivalent of a 5 or 6 foot bamboo pole with 5 feet of line tied on the end. This works wonderfully well for catching sunnies over the side of the boat or off the dock.

But do what ever works for your client. However, I would certainly suggest a pole that does not use a reel, nor use a reel seat.

Be safe

Posted by: Bill Falconer (207.203.39.---)
Date: October 16, 2014 11:16AM

My son did really well with the underspins until he transitioned to a spinning reel. At risk of going on a quality rant, be aware that there is a VAST difference between the cheaper underspins and the better made ones. We had very good luck with the ZEBCO and Pflueger brands....not so much with anything else. If they have great success and learn to love fishing it's worth $45 for an underspin.

For seats, we used Fuji NPS16 seats and it was a great combo. Hope this helps.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: October 16, 2014 11:21AM

Bill Falconer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> At risk of
> going on a quality rant, be aware that there is a
> VAST difference between the cheaper underspins and
> the better made ones. We had very good luck with
> the ZEBCO and Pflueger brands....not so much with
> anything else. If they have great success and
> learn to love fishing it's worth $45 for an
> underspin.
>
> For seats, we used Fuji NPS16 seats and it was a
> great combo. Hope this helps.

We gave the rods to the grand kids as Christmas gifts and included a cheap $10 reel since they were so young. The following year they received nice Pfluegers from us at Christmas.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: October 16, 2014 12:39PM

If your customer still wants a casting rod, I would recommend a seat such as the Ken Weibe Super Sticker. I have made several of them for my grand kids. You just have to make sure that the reel foot on the reel is not one of the thick ones found on cheaper reels.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 16, 2014 02:37PM

Randy,
X10 on the comment about the use of the thinner thickness reel base.

But,if you do have an inexpensive reel that has a thicker base, it is very easy to remedy the situation.

Just take a power belt sander and hold the reel flat against the belt sander until the reel foot is the desired thickness.

Be safe

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcpc.com)
Date: October 16, 2014 06:30PM

I agree with the others regarding the underspin setup. I will add that there are options as well, my son when 2 years old could competently cast an ultralight spinning reel. It was on a small 4'6 St Croix SCII blank that I made a number of years ago. Once instructed on how to do it he was off and running to include closing the bail by hand. It is a great little beetle spin setup.... By the age of four he was handling a 7' Castaway with a Curado that is dialed down to reduce backlashes. He could with that baitcasting setup successfully cast a spinnerbait to targets in open water ( Truman has TONS of tree tops to cast to). Now at almost the age of 6 he is pitching to isolated targets and quite well I might add. The customer simply needs to understand that patience spent with the youngster will be most rewarding and exciting for the little one.

My point is not a "hey look at what my son did" but that the little ones are far more capable and willing to learn than we give them credit for!!

Tom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2014 06:33PM by Thomas Kaufmann.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: October 16, 2014 07:34PM

By the age of 6 both of my daughters were fishing using Penn 109 reels for salmon mooching. They didn't have to cast, just let the line out and set the clicker. My youngest hooked an 8 pound silver and when I went to try and help her she said "Dad, I can do it my own"
Put me in my place. I taught them both to use casting reels for steelhead and salmon. They both still fish with casting reels and save the spinning for light fish.

Posted by: Steve Chontos (---.delta.com)
Date: October 20, 2014 11:29AM

Thanks to all of you, lots of good info here. The customer has bought into the underspin idea so I am good to go there. The rod I am building is for a 3 yr old grandson and the customer said "he's toting a 6 footer now!" he said the grandson comes over every day and has either a float or a rubber worm in his pocket.

Thanks again,
Steve

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster