I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Painted Cork
Posted by: Forrest Peters (---.dhcp.stpt.wi.charter.com)
Date: October 14, 2014 09:20PM

Has anyone tried to paint cork grips. If so what paint, and did the grip crack.

Lone Wolf Rods
"Keep your powder dry and your lines wet"
God Bless

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Painted Cork
Posted by: Anonymous User (184.99.5.---)
Date: October 14, 2014 10:09PM

If I may tag onto this question...... Has anyone used the "Marble Magic" on the cork? If so how does it hold?

BLAIR M.

Posted by: Jeremy Reed (---.swo.res.rr.com)
Date: October 14, 2014 10:46PM

You can do a mad-swirl to cork grips with magic marble paint or the borax method. You just need to add a protective coat on top of it. You also need to fill in the pits, and prime it. If you don't prime, you can get it to show some of the grain through the paint for a cool effect.

Jeremy Reed
Reed Rods

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 15, 2014 10:18PM

Jeremy

Any thoughts on doing a mad swirl demo at the rod expo next February ?? Would be a nice seminar if they are not already planned.

Tom

Posted by: Jeremy Reed (205.204.248.---)
Date: October 16, 2014 09:36AM

Tom Wewerka Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jeremy
>
> Any thoughts on doing a mad swirl demo at the rod
> expo next February ?? Would be a nice seminar if
> they are not already planned.
>
> Tom

If I'm able to make it, I would love to if there was enough interest in it and Kirkman wanted to add me. I planned on making my first expo this past year, but wasn't able to. Hopefully, I'll be able to make it this next year.

Jeremy Reed
Reed Rods

Posted by: Devin Romanowski (---.dyn.grandenetworks.net)
Date: October 17, 2014 10:04AM

what do you guys use for a protective coat over the mad swirl?

Date: October 17, 2014 11:20PM

Depends on what you're dipping. For reel seats, I have an auto body place spray clear coats. For grips, I like the epoxy by riley rods, it dries harder than epoxy, and gives the grip protection. Most of my customers are using thread finish for a protective coat. When I was testing it for grips, I tested permagloss, waterbased urethane, spray clear, auto clear, thread finish, and the epoxy riley rods sells. The epoxy by riley rods I liked the best followed by a close 2nd of thread finish.

Also, most of my customers are using preshaped cork grips, priming, then dipping. I like using rigid pour foam. I feel that it is more sensitive and lighter than cork. I've used eva, cork, carbon fiber, rigid pour foam all for a mad-swirl. The eva typically gives the smoothest pattern. Also, each medium requires prepping of some sort to get it smooth and the pits filled in prior to priming.

Posted by: Tim Sullivan (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: October 26, 2014 01:15PM

How is the eva prepped?

Date: October 27, 2014 05:13PM

You have to shape it, fill in the pits/pores, prime, dip, and clear coat of some sort. There's a lot of steps involved, but they are sweet looking.

Date: October 28, 2014 03:57PM

Also, feel free to give me a shout or shoot me an email if you have any questions.

ReedRods@gmail.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster