I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Binding on flocked foregrip
Posted by: Jason Groombridge (---.tas.adsl.internode.on.net)
Date: October 14, 2014 08:10PM

G'day Guys,

I'm after a bit of help regarding the above. I have made a flocked cork foregrip for a standup rod I'm building and have a ramp either end of the flocking, the same as you would do on a leather grip. My issue occurs when I'm putting epoxy on the binding on the ramps. It doesn't seem to matter how careful I am applying the epoxy, I get some epoxy bleeding off the thread and into the flocking. The flocking, being fuzzy, seems to want to wick the epoxy into itself. There is obviously a need to get the epoxy right to the edge of the thread to cover it and make it durable.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to either stop the spread of epoxy in the first place or alternatively how to clean it up. My best thought would be to use some DNA on a cotton bud and try and wipe the epoxy out of the flocking. Anyone have any better ideas?

Or should I bind first, mask off and then flock after? Too late for this grip of course but would work for the next.

Cheers

Jason

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Binding on flocked foregrip
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 14, 2014 08:38PM

I hadn't really thought about this, but you might get a cleaner look by flocking as the last step. The flock will only adhere to the location where you have the adhesive and it's thick enough to allow you to get it exactly where you want.

Generally, I didn't do epoxy ramps onto my flocked grips. I just used them full length as-is.

Posted by: Jason Groombridge (---.tas.adsl.internode.on.net)
Date: October 14, 2014 10:20PM

G'day Tom,

I reckon you're right. It will probably be easier to flock after. I will try some DNA and a cotton bud in order to finish this grip and see how it goes. I went with the thread bound ramps as I really like the look but obviously I didn't anticipate this issue.

How did you finish off the front end of your grips? Just a winding check glued over the flock or did you leave a bare spot on the front of the grip the same diameter as the check and then glue the check in?

Cheers

Jason

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 15, 2014 07:57AM

A winding check would give you the cleanest appearance, in my opinion. You can run the epoxy onto that. It won't wick so you can use a towel wet with alcohol to wipe a nice clean edge all the way around.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 15, 2014 08:26AM

if the guides are not on yet maybe you can make the ramp off the rod after the grip is done
Finish it and then slid it on and ( carfully ) glue up ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.lightspeed.bcvloh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 16, 2014 04:46PM

I have flocked a few grips and Tomis right, flock as your last step.

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Jason Groombridge (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: October 21, 2014 03:31AM

G'day Guys,

Thanks fro your further input.

Bill B, the grip is flocked cork and the ramps are shaped into the end of the cork, so unfortunately I am not able to do as you suggest. It may very well be an option for future grips though.

Bill E, thanks for further confimation that this is the way to go.

Cheers

Jason

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster