I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Winn Grips
Posted by: Michael Shea (---.static.tpgi.com.au)
Date: October 13, 2014 02:48AM

Haven't seen anyone discussing these grips. Got sent an email from getbitoutdoors advertising these new grips - [www.getbitoutdoors.com]

Anyone used them?
Not sure of the longevity, especially in saltwater, but I'd like to hear from anyone who has used them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2014 07:58AM by Tom Kirkman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Winn Grips
Posted by: gary Marquardt (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: October 13, 2014 08:25AM

I've used the Tour Star grips which I believe are similar . They are comfortable . The only negative comment I heard from one customer was that they where almost too soft and dreaded the feel. As far as feeling the rod/bite I don't think they are any worst than Eva . They do have a sticky feel. I think Echo is putting the Winns on some of their fly rods.

Posted by: Kevin Kelly (---.sub-70-193-130.myvzw.com)
Date: October 13, 2014 08:30AM

These are essentially golf club grips, right? I got that same email from GetBit. Wondered what these were like.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: October 13, 2014 09:13AM

I have a couple on current builds as we speak. One on a fly rod, one on a spinning rod. Feel pretty good to me so far, but the ultimate test will be when completed and tested.
This is actually a 5pc, 5 wt that has interchangeable butt sections to go from fly to spinning. Strictly a prototype currently at this time.

Ron Weber

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.151.---)
Date: October 13, 2014 01:39PM

I wish they would make them in spey/switch rod sizes. I've got a couple of blanks I would try them on.

Posted by: Eric Kuhn (172.56.26.---)
Date: October 13, 2014 01:48PM

I rcvd 2 fly grips at Icast and have built a 3wt incorporating
one of them into the build. It feels good when casting
though I am primarily a saltwater fisherman used to much
heavier outfits.

One drawback is that the hood recess us not deep enough,
I had to recess it another 3/8" to cover the hood on the seat.
that was a bit tricky, fostner bits dont work.

I tried emailing the winn people, but did not get any responses.

I will try to post a picture later.

Posted by: Marc Morris (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 13, 2014 05:19PM

I built one using their blue split grip on a saltwater "wading" rod and the color faded in less than a summer of use in Texas. Particules of the blue foam was easily rubbed off with a finger. Don't know if that is the norm haven't built one with them since.

Posted by: Scott A Randall (---.ok.ok.cox.net)
Date: October 13, 2014 09:22PM

I have used the tour grips with great success. Winn does make golf grips as well. They are very similar except they are not solid throught. They are perfect if you get your handle wet as they don't soak up water. I love them

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 13, 2014 10:55PM

gary Marquardt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've used the Tour Star grips which I believe are
> similar . They are comfortable . The only
> negative comment I heard from one customer was
> that they where almost too soft and dreaded the
> feel. As far as feeling the rod/bite I don't
> think they are any worst than Eva . They do have
> a sticky feel. I think Echo is putting the Winns
> on some of their fly rods.

Gary. I have one customer that likes to use hypalon in lieu of EVA. He. likes the softer feel. How would you say the Tour Star feels in comparison to the feel of hypalon?

Thanks
Tom

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.151.---)
Date: October 15, 2014 08:30AM

I really can't say how it compares to hypalon since it's been awhile since I used Hypalon. they are softer than EVA. worst case is to buy a Win or tour Star and see and if you don't like it I'm sure you could sell it off here on the board.

Posted by: steve schoonover (---.lightspeed.livnmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 22, 2014 06:36AM

I like them, they seem to be a great fit for cold weather rods. I have used them on a few walleye jigging rods that are commonly used in the early spring. Customer feedback has been positive so far. As far as customer support I have had at least 3 follow up calls for winn personal wanting both feedback and suggestions.

Posted by: steve schoonover (---.lightspeed.livnmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 22, 2014 06:36AM

I like them, they seem to be a great fit for cold weather rods. I have used them on a few walleye jigging rods that are commonly used in the early spring. Customer feedback has been positive so far. As far as customer support I have had at least 3 follow up calls for winn personal wanting both feedback and suggestions.

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.cbpu.com)
Date: October 22, 2014 10:47PM

I have built a couple of rods with the Winn Grips. They are really nice to fish with when the weather is wet and cold. The wetter they get, the sticker they become. The feel is great. I built spinning rods, and used the split grips with ATC Aero reel seats. I have noticed that the grips do not like to be tucked into the back of the reel seat because the outer shell on them will bunch up a bit. Took my time, and it was no problem.

Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (---.9.117.194.ctitech.com)
Date: October 25, 2014 09:20AM

I've been looking at those, but haven't yet pulled the trigger. How do they compare to other options in terms of weight?

I relly don't care for a long rear handle, and if these are a bit heavier they could help balance a shorter rear grip setup.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster