I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Turning wood handles tips and tricks
Posted by: Taylor Clinton (---.lv.lv.cox.net)
Date: October 11, 2014 04:13PM

hey guys I was hoping to start this thread as a how to and sharing individuals achievements in this category. sorry if this is a repeat of another thread but my searches didn't turn up anything.

I came across this website that tells you how to put elliptical shapes in your wood handle.

[www.rodbuildingtutorials.com]

I also came across this picture of this amazing rod handle from another thread page but it didn't have instruction just praise.
[www.stripersonline.com]

I understand not everyone is going to want to give away their secrets but maybe there are a few out there who may want to impart some wisdom for guys like me who don't know what there doing and just need a little direction to be on their way. using some basic skills and some imagination to make a truly awesome custom rod.

hopefully we can get something going, even if its just sharing other links to how to's or images of your own custom work sharing the process, exotic woods, stains and finishes. that kind of thing real impresses me. hopefully we can get some sharing going on here.

sorry for the link of the picture I couldn't figure out how to post the picture directly in the thread post.

custom cork handles are welcome, and cork wood combo handles as well.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Turning wood handles tips and tricks
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 11, 2014 05:04PM

I couldn't begin to tell you how many such articles have appeared in RodMaker Magazine over the past years. Dozens and dozens.

Date: October 11, 2014 05:31PM

How do I get ahold of those old articles?

Posted by: Dick Ross (---.sub-70-199-128.myvzw.com)
Date: October 11, 2014 08:44PM

The biggist thing is to core them. Tom can put you on the specific Rodmaker articles that talk about that.

Posted by: Dick Ross (---.sub-70-199-128.myvzw.com)
Date: October 11, 2014 08:44PM

The biggist thing is to core them. Tom can put you on the specific Rodmaker articles that talk about that.

Date: October 11, 2014 08:50PM

That would be sweet!

Posted by: John McCleish (---.nrflva.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 12, 2014 02:39PM

You could also go to the buy/sell page. Someone is selling 51 back issues of Rodmaker for $2/. Buy them all. You can't go wrong.

Mac

Date: October 14, 2014 10:38AM

www.rodmakermagazine.com back issue page has a listing of articles for each issue.

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: October 14, 2014 10:45AM

Taylor the grips that you have posted are ones that I built, your e/mail is hidden, but if you have any questions about how to build them send me an e/mail. I will be happy to help you any way that I can, Hellsangler@live.com .

Posted by: Gabe Neal (---.dot.gov)
Date: October 14, 2014 01:48PM

Hey Mark and Dick when you guys make these how thick do you leave the wood when you core them? And do you use the simple foam arbors and are they full length?

Gabe Neal

Neal's Custom Rods

Date: October 14, 2014 02:48PM

total newb question here. my understanding of the wood handle is that it gives you greater sensitivity to what is going on at the fly. maybe this is true maybe its only true for the guy that believes it is. maybe someone can clarify that theory? wouldn't you loose this by coring them and adding an arbor?

I also understand that the wood is heavier than its cork counter part and can throw off the balance of the rod.

please forgive my naiveté I have only cast one rod in my life and that's my white river 5 piece 5/6 wt travel rod. and my cabela's 5' 2wt tqr. I am very new to rod building. my first blank should be here in the mail today. but I am pretty captivated by these wood handles and the craftsmanship that can be achieved.

mark I will be emailing you shortly, thanks for notifying me of my hidden email. missed that in the registering process.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: October 14, 2014 08:31PM

You can achieve a wood grip that is close to a cork grip in weight by coring the grip and filling the space with a urethane foam spacer. The feel is warm, but the shape of the grip needs to match the angler "feel" as close as possible as there is no give to a wood grip compared to cork.

As far as feel goes, some anglers say yes, some no. My opinion is that it's pretty dependent on achieving a light feel (by coring the center) If it's too heavy, then the balance is off.

Terry

Date: October 15, 2014 09:58AM

Adding weight won't make the rod more sensitive. Wood will tend to deaden the feel. What you want to shoot for is greater rigidity at the same or less weight than say, cork. Which is hard to do. Coring a wood grip with rigid wood grip with urethane foam might at least get you back close.

Posted by: Gabe Neal (---.dot.gov)
Date: October 15, 2014 10:10AM

Tom any guidance on how thick do you leave the wood when you core them? And are you using full length arbors?

Gabe Neal

Neal's Custom Rods

Date: October 15, 2014 10:28AM

I covered all that in the article, with detailed photos, and there are a lot of little specifics that will help you get things as thin and light as possible. Yes, full length arbors and the smallest diameter portion of the grip should only be a couple millimeters more than the center core. You can take a lot of weight out of a wood or exotic cork grip this way.

Date: October 15, 2014 10:29AM

I'll split one open this afternoon and post a photo. In fact I may already one cut in half.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster