I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Clamp for split grips?
Posted by: Cameron Johnson (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: October 01, 2014 02:09AM

Hey guys so I was wondering if anyone could link me to a clamp for split grips. I have noticed that on the two rods I have put together so far that while they were drying the reel seat did not stay completely flush with the rear grip. I want to pick up a clamp that will help fix this, however so far I only have found clamps for full length grips. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Clamp for split grips?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 01, 2014 08:31AM

Cameron,
It is so easy to make a clamp for a split grip, that one just needs to sit down and make one.

I use threaded rod and some hardwood blocks.
You can use 1/4 inch, 5/16th or 3/8th threaded rod.

For ease of use and simplicity, I typically use 5/16th rods. When you get the rods, also get 6 or 8 nuts and washers that will fit the threaded rod.

Figure out what you expect your longest total grip will be. Then, based on the total length add about 4 inches or so, and cut a pair of threaded rods to this length.

For blocks, I just pick up a length of hardwood trim. I prefer to use hardwood, compared to softwood, because there is less chance of splitting. I like to have the block about 2 inches wide. So, if one picks up a length of 2 inch wide trim that is the standard 3/4 inch thick makes a very good end block.

If you want to glue up a split grip, all at one time you need to have 4 blocks per clamp. i.e. you have a pair of blocks for the rear or butt grip, and two more blocks for the front grip or grips and reel seat.

Take your blocks and drill in slightly oversized holes in each side to accomodate the threaded rod. I like to make the holes a bit oversized because you are going to be sliding the blocks up and down on the threaded rods and you don't want them be hanging up on the threaded rod.

For the block that is used for the butt cap, or butt grip, I like to use a Fostner bit to drill a flat bottom hole in the center of one of the blocks. I drill the hole about 3/16th of an inch. The idea of this hole is to use it as a centering hole for the clamp.

Then, for the other blocks, drill holes all of the way through the center of each block that is a bit larger then the size of the blank that you are gluing up. Notice, that this hole has to be sized a bit larger than a given blank, so if you commonly build on different sized blanks, you might consider having a variety of different blocks with different sized center holes. Then, after drilling the center holes all of the way through each block, use a saw (band saw works very well for this) to saw out the one side of each block to create a slot with a round bottom that will slip over the blank when you are gluing up the rod.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
When finished, the clamp will consist of two threaded rods, and 4 blocks with a pair of nuts on one side of each block to clamp the blocks tight against the grips and or reel seat, if using no fore grip.

Now, having said all of this, if one is using grips that are sized for the rod - i.e. no full length turning of the blank to turn down grips after gluing up cork rings on the blank - but just slipping grips on the blank, you really only need one clamp to glue up the front grip and reel seat and fore grip, if you are using one. So, obviously this clamp could be much shorter.
A clamp like this one would consist of a pair of threaded rod, and a pair of wood blocks to clamp against the bottom of the top grip and the top of the reel seat or the fore grip.
If you are using a butt cap that has been reamed and sized to fit the butt of the rod, there is really no need to use a clamp for this part of the rod. Just apply 5 minute epoxy to the inside of the butt cap, slip on the blank and hold tight, being sure to remove any adhesive from the blank before it begins to set up.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Now, another very easy way to have a clamp for a split grip rod is to use a pair of commercial clamps.
Pick up a pair of "ratchet clamps" :
[www.harborfreight.com]

Then, you can remove the clamp faces from the clamps, and drill a pair of holes in the remaining clamp face. Use these holes to clamp a wood block as described above to each clamp face with a pair of machine bolts.
The advantage of using a pair of clamps like these, is that the use of the clamps is so quick and easy. With the front grip in place, simply slide the wood blocks attached to the clamp faces over the rod parts, squeeze the clamp and you will be good to go.
I first saw this idea on the forum a few years ago.

Date: October 01, 2014 08:37AM

Note: here is a picture of a clamp using two threaded rods and multiple nuts that Ken Posted some time ago:
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Here is a picture of the modified clamps for the commercial "ratchet clamps" that Mike posted back in 2005:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Gabe Neal (---.dot.gov)
Date: October 01, 2014 10:16AM

Hey Cameron another option is buy the clamp for the full length rods. Then drill two holes through the side of each board. Meaning through the 1" side, all the way through the width of the board. These holes will be centered between the original holes and the center where the rod goes through. Get some 1/4" bolts, washers and wing nuts. The bolts need to go all the way through the 2 1/2" (width). Then cut the boards in half using a band saw or even a hand saw. This cut will be a ripping cut full length centered through the two holes originally made for the LONG all thread by the manufacture. Note: before you make the cut drill the original holes out a little larger to account for the material lost when you make the cut. Meaning the original long all thread must still be able to fit through the same holes when your done.

In essence you have split the board creating a clamp with the two newly bought bolts, washers and wing nuts. Once you get the split grip mocked up. You clamp the "Split boards" around the rod BEING VERY CAREFUL NOT TO PINCH OR SQUEEZE THE BLANK!! So this may require a couple different boards with various sized center holes to be used on different sized blanks. Then insert your all thread and clamp up to the desired tightness.

You can buy all the materials needed at your local hardware or better yet start with a clamp from one of the vendors to the left.

Gabe

Posted by: Cameron Johnson (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: October 01, 2014 11:29AM

Awesome thank you guys! I will have to start working on one of these very soon I appreciate it!

Date: October 01, 2014 12:50PM

Gabe,
That is a great idea to be able to put uniform pressure on each side of the grip.

To make assembly and dis assembly quicker, you could use wing nuts for the fasteners on the machine screws.

Posted by: John Repaci (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: October 01, 2014 03:41PM

"Twist-on" or "Push-Button" quick-threading nuts McMaster catalog pg 3203 can also be used.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
John in Wethersfield, CT

Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-70-195-199.myvzw.com)
Date: October 02, 2014 03:59PM

Cameron

Check out our video on making split grips. We demonstrate a modified cork ring clamp that we use. Click the link below:

[www.flexcoat.com]

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster