I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

G Loomis retail price
Posted by: John E Powell (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: September 30, 2014 06:19PM

I'm looking for an approximate original retail price for the IM6 G Loomis 11'6" noodle blank, I believe it's the 1-4lb line model. Just a ballpark figure.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: G Loomis retail price
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: September 30, 2014 06:50PM

Is there a blank number on it?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 01, 2014 12:37AM

From what I can determine from old records, is that these rods sold for $150-$200 when new.

However, as Randy pointed out, there could be differences based on the blank and or model number on the rod.

Be safe

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: October 01, 2014 07:47AM

I don't have the model number, I've lost the original card stock tag and plastic sleeve a while back. I was hoping someone might have an old retail catalog from one of the retailers from that era that might show one for sale. If I recall correctly there were only four choices and 11'6" and 1-4lb line would identify a single model in the IM6.

Posted by: ezra agnew (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: October 02, 2014 06:59PM

I'm new here, so forgive me, but what would an 11'6" rod rated for 1-4 lb test be used for?

Date: October 02, 2014 08:15PM

Catching big steel head in the rivers.
The line needs to be light to avoid spooking the fish. The rod needs to be long and flexible to have a lot of give in the fish catching system, when the big steel head make their runs.

Date: October 02, 2014 08:20PM

Ezra, it will take you a lot of time to fight a good steelhead on a noodle rod, there is no horsing them in on 2# test line.

Date: October 02, 2014 08:26PM

The 1986 LCI catalog that I have lists 3 11'6" Noodle rod blanks.
2#, 4#, and 4-8 # test line.

Sorry I don't have a price list, but I believe they went for between $125 and $150.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 02, 2014 08:45PM

LCI and G.Loomis were two different companies.

Date: October 02, 2014 08:56PM

It started as one or the other either G.Loomis and evolved into LCI ( Loomis Composites Inc) or vise-versa.

Date: October 02, 2014 09:00PM

No. LCI began in 1976 with several investors. LCI remains in business today and is known as Talon.

G. Loomis was founded in 1982 after Gary Loomis returned from the Loomis/Franklin business in the orient. It also remains in business. The two have always been separate.

Date: October 03, 2014 01:37PM

Loomis Composites and G. Loomis were not only both in Woodland, WA., but checking the tag on a G. Loomis blank and the address on the back of the 1986 LCI catalog, both have the same exact PO Box #907 in that town.

Date: October 03, 2014 04:39PM

I sent an e-mail to a Loomis supplier, asking the question. This was their response:

"Unfortunately I do not have the price sheets of those, but after checking w/ my other department they went from 110-200 in price range."

Date: October 03, 2014 05:25PM

I just dug up my 1991 Shoff's Tackle Supply catalog and there are two G Loomis noodle rod blanks listed, as Follows: Maybe it will help you tell which one you have.

N1381 IGFa -4 1/16-3/8 OZ Lure Wt TIP SIZE 4 BUTT .365 BLANK WT. 1 7/8 OZ.

N 1384 4-8 OZ LURE WT. TIP SIZE 5 BUTT .465 BLANK WT. 2 5/8 OZ. Both were IM6 blanks and were $81 and $82.20 respectively wholesale price.

Date: October 03, 2014 07:31PM

They were not and are not the same company. Never were. Absolutely not. LCI was at PO Box 907, while G. Loomis was PO Box E.

Both were, and still are, operating independently. They are not now, nor ever were the same company.

Date: October 03, 2014 08:20PM

Sorry Tom, You are wrong, I will send you a copy of the LCI blank catalog, and the Tag on the G. Loomis blank. Both are identical.

Date: October 04, 2014 07:37PM

The companies were never related in any way, shape or form.

I have all the LCI and G.Loomis catalogs from the outset of both.

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-70-199-136.myvzw.com)
Date: October 07, 2014 03:42PM

As entertaining as this could get, here is an excerpt from an interview with Gary Loomis, by Terry Battisti:

“When I left I never wanted to compete against Lamiglas in the rod business,” he said. “But I couldn’t get the arrow company going so in 1980 I started Loomis Composites. Then, in 1981 the U.S. government said to the manufacturing industries that we need to start training our preferred nations and begin joint manufacturing ventures with them. That’s when I started a joint venture with Taiwan Tackle and began Loomis Franklin – a rod manufacturer. Shortly after that started, I bowed out of that venture and Loomis Composites all together.”

At that point, he had the time to sit down, collect his thoughts and determine the future of blank manufacturing. Enter G.Loomis.

“The beginning of G.Loomis is quite a remarkable story,” he said. “At the time I was working as a machinist at Sherman Machines. One day I went home and told my wife I needed her to sit down because I wanted to talk with her. She asked, ‘what do you want to talk about?’ I told her I knew what I wanted to do for the rest of my life but it would require that we sell everything we had accumulated over our lifetime and take the knowledge I’d acquired over the years and start a new rod company.

Date: October 07, 2014 04:18PM

Thank you Chris!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster