I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

surf and gimbals
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 28, 2014 06:58PM

A long grip below the reel seat is great for long casts off the beach but that long butt section is awkward and inefficient to fight a big fish from the beach. Does anyone make a long detachable butt extension for a surf rod which can be removed and covers a shorter gimbal butt to fight fish?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: surf and gimbals
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 28, 2014 08:42PM

I find myself wondering about the opposite......mounting the conventional reel low and thumbing with the weak hand while casting......then "sliding the reel up" to a fishing fighting location afterwards.

Sorta the same question in reverse:)

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Sergiy Korniychuk (24.114.73.---)
Date: September 28, 2014 09:26PM

I use very simple solution. Reel seat is mounted on live bait rod where i want it for fish fighting purpose. To cast live bait with my rod with big casting reel for cats i use 30 inches pvc pipe. I found the pipe with inner diameter which fits snagly over the butt section. Just slide it over butt section, extend the rod to convinient casting lenghth, cast the bait, then removed the pipe. You can also use the same pipe as a rod holder.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: September 29, 2014 11:59AM

Conoflex builds two sizes of captive reducers. Or, you can use a standard reducer.

[www.conoflex.co.uk]

Don

Don Becker

Posted by: mike thacker (---.dyn.grandenetworks.net)
Date: September 29, 2014 02:06PM

Russell, To do what you say use a Breakaway Saddle Clamp. Build the rod without a reel seat. Then use the saddle clamps to mount the reel where you want it. Low for distance casting, thumbing with your off hand and then move it higher for fish fighting.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 29, 2014 07:49PM

30 inch but either off the hip or between the legs no problem with fish up to 60+ #

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 29, 2014 07:59PM

These are the reel mounts mentioned in Mike Thacker's post

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 30, 2014 07:53PM

Today I got my tush kicked by a blacktip that ran out well over 300 yards (past the splice to the next 300 yards) of 50# braid.To rest up I passed the rod off to a passer-by. The 12' surf rod gave all the mechanical advantage to the shark. I have had this problem several times. Maybe if the rod construction allowed me to anchor the butt lower I could outlast the kind of fish I like to catch - by myself.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: September 30, 2014 09:33PM

One of the styles for larger ulua rods for a few decades is to mount the center of the reel (large conventional) at belly button height.

With the rod butt on the ground, the reel seat would position the center of the spool at about 36 to 38" depending on your height.
This provides greater leverage when casting and retrieving.
After hooking up, the rod butt is set on the ground and inside the arch of your foot. Your foot will be set at an angle. This locks the rod butt in place on the ground.
Your left hand will grab the upper grip or higher. The reel handle should be within easy reach. Grasping higher on the rod and leaning back should give you greater authority over the fish.

In addition to positioning the reel seat higher than normal, the reel seat should be positioned down locking. Threads on top.
When you shift to a reel with a larger spool diameter, the rear face of the spool (line) distance to the butt end becomes shorter. However, due to the typically longer reel foot, the reel moves up on the rod and keeps the distance from the back of the spool to the butt end more consistant.

Don Becker

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: October 01, 2014 08:09AM

Phil,
If you use a fighting belt for the butt of the rod ( NOT your crotch, foot or armpit) and make the reel sit so your one hand can still get in front of it in that position: you can simply point the rod tip at the shark during the fight and it has NO mechanical advantage.

Its then like tugging a rope with a dog on the end.

Use 100 yds cheap stretchy mono in a # test of your choice( mine is 60) for part of the rig that will be in the water most the time and you can get that shark on the beach in under an hour.
The stuff from wallyworld sold by the thousand yards for $5.
It is your basic shock absorber during the first part of the fight.
Save the higher rod tip position for when the shark is in the surf line:.

Try google for any videos of guys rock and surf fishing for shark around the South African coast.
Fish River point, Breede river etc.
Its also way kinder to the shark, it comes out so fast its got a good chance to survive when released.
If you are going to eat it, lower adrenaline etc in blood so better food even after bleeding.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster