I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flex coat
Posted by: Ricky Kirkland (---.sip.bix.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 28, 2014 01:02PM

Hi guys, I was digging through a box of rod building supplies that was given to me when a friend passed away a couple of years ago. There was 2 kits for Flex Coat Rod Wrapping Finish in the box that has to be 3 or 4 years old. Is it still usable? Or just toss it? On both the hardener has turned yellow. Thanks for any advice you can give, Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flex coat
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 28, 2014 02:02PM

Ricky,
You can certainly use it if you like.
Virtually all rod finishes will tend to have a yellow cast after a number of years.

However, in the scope of things; your rod finish will be the frosting on the cake - so to speak for a rod build; so it might be better if you just have enough finish on hand for the expected number of rods that you may intend to finish in a given period of time.
If you have a $300 rod, the $20 or less that you might pay for a batch of fresh finish is a very small part of the build.

Be safe

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 28, 2014 02:15PM

It should be perfectly good and the yellowing will ony come into play on very light colored thread. As state above, all hardners eventually yellow even after application.

Posted by: Ricky Kirkland (---.sip.bix.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 28, 2014 05:00PM

Thanks Roger and Phil. Agreed that on a nice rod I would go with new stuff. Haven't built a rod in 20 years so I took the MudHole course in Mobile and I'm redoing some of my old boat rods for practice, so if it doesn't look perfect, no big deal. Just redo for more practice! LOL!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 28, 2014 05:06PM

The older Flex Coat would yellow quickly
I like the new UV Flex Coat seems to stay clear longer and flow nicely

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: September 28, 2014 06:03PM

I have some rod finish that is at least 25 years old, and is still not only usable, but gives a great finish. While curing, most of the amber color of the hardener will disappear. Try it on a test wrap before putting it on a rod you have labored over.

Posted by: Jamie Ker (---.no.shawcable.net)
Date: September 28, 2014 06:13PM

I just used some Flex Coat Lite on a build that is over 5yrs old, the hardener is quite yellow as well and the resin was solid. I put the resin in the Microwave for 30 second to bring back to liquid state, and then warmed both up in warm water before use. I tried it first on an old broken rod blank, and cured clear, so used it on the build again with a clear finish.

I would keep it, if not send it to me.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 28, 2014 06:42PM

Use what you want
I was told NOT to THINN finish
But no one could tell me why or what would happen ???
I still like Flex Coat UV and think it is a better finish then the Regular Flex Coat new formula

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: tyler_decker (---.mid.sta.suddenlink.net)
Date: October 06, 2014 06:20PM

Curious to know if anyone else is having problems with the finish color when applying to white rods? Ive only built on two so far but one was very off colored or yellow, and the next was a little better. I did notice that my hardener had gotten darker. Are you getting good clear finish over the white rod or can I expect to always see the dirty contrast up next to the white blanks?
thx

Posted by: Ricky Kirkland (96.126.225.---)
Date: October 07, 2014 04:17PM

I guess I should have stated at the beginning that this is a white boat rod that I'm working on.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 08, 2014 08:32AM

Permagloss or any urethane would be the clearest finish

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster